KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Ray, your last comment really isn't adding to the discussion in a positive way.

Please.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    And you never will understand it unless you are sitting at the meetings, sleeping with the right\wrong person, or just lucky with your guessing ... These companies\peoples history can shed some light on their past behaviors maybe help on the future, but we won't really know till another business decision is made ...

---

SP does sound like a ~straight shooter to some degree ... Go back and read all his articles a few more times and some sense of a plan might might come forth ...

---

The previous owners plan is out in the open now ... Try to remember all that was said about them when they took over in 2007 and apply some of that wisdom to the current owner and comments ... Some old guy 2 yrs ago on this site said 'there will not be enough meat on the bone for bmw' and they would drop Husky just as they just did ...
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok ... I'll rephase the answer ... "All these companies work together to some degree" ...
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Feel free to edit/re-word the post I was referring to, that was the reason I did not quote it.

EDIT: Ray deleted the post I was referring to...
  5. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Exactly my point. WE are just ordinary citizens with desires other than reporting to shareholders about profit increases. I do say its going to be interesting how this all unfolds. I'm not sure how many of us Husky affictionato will be future consumers. And it's unit sales that corporate wants.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep, I hope we get a few yrs racing at least and maybe the numbers will look good enough to keep ... And maybe Husky can even sell the bajaj/ktm brand bikes at the Husqvarna shops ... BMP excluded of course...

--

Unit sales just screams 1BIL and counting Indians to go after...
    Lonfish likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for chiming in Scott. :thumbsup: Good to hear someone in the know with an opinion. Sure makes me feel better about this transaction. Also good to hear your thoughts on "the US team in Corona" being good and in a stride. Seemed to me they were working their asses off and I have never seen so much husky press int he mags and everywhere. Crossing my fingers this will be a really good thing and you chiming in thinking it will be is comforting. Thanks.
  8. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    Call me romantic, but I don't think it's all about the money for Pierer. He has a net worth a a few hundred million U$, so he doesn't really need any more. However, he's also very competetive. KTM just trumped BMW as the biggest European motorcycle producer (in 2012), so he now sets himself a new target (Japan). He also has a love for MX and off-roading, being a rider himself. That's one thing that sets him apart from the Bajaj-family and hopefully prevents a profit only attitude.

Obviously, he expects to make money out of this, that's for sure.
    BadMotoWeazal, ray_ray, 454x and 6 others like this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Save your 449, 511, and Terra's. they may be worth a lot of money someday to a museum :)
  10. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    You know Husky was orange first, will they be orange again?

Attached Files:

11. dratharr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    I really hope my dealer hangs on to the brand, I highly doubt they will though, they are a long standing BMW dealer, and they just took on the Husky brand last year. My bike required a lot of tweaking early on, replacement of all the starting hardware, flywheel, act... so I hope they dont just abandon it, if so I am sure if I have any future problems I will be on my own. I have had the bike 8 months anyways so i guess I am kind of on my own anyway!
  12. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

With KTM running/owning Husqvarna, I could see myself returning to the Husky fold. I just wasnt prepared to sink my lifes savings (and then some) into dealing with BMW after seeing their lack of direction with Husqvarna. I have already been in contact with KTM on a very informal level. We will see where it goes in the next few months. :)
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I will say this, the dealer I got my TE449 from seeks Huskies, Katoom, and Berg. I'll bet Malcolm has seen this game play out plenty of times. If he's not sweating it then no reason to worry.

Besides, there is a simple philosophy I have adopted since the company I work for has sold its lot, moved to a new place, then merged with a basically unheard of small entity.

The corporate big wigs are not at all concerned with my opinion or how I feel, otherwise, they would have asked me before they made their decision. Whether I agree or not is completely immaterial to them.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    No parts and engines for new production, but BMW will have to provide spares of BMW sourced parts to Husky for 10 years from production date. I imagine SP will have to start paying the bills at Husky NA in Corona and take over the parts distribution from BMW Motorrad USA. I have a hard time believing that Corona, will continue just as it is through this. Canada will need a new distributor, as BMW Motorrad Canada took it over from the bankrupt Barrett Group and there's no reason for them to continue. The rest of the world will pretty much, just write the checks for bikes and parts to the new company.... as they did when BMW bought it from MV Agusta/Cagiva.
  15. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I have already registered the domain name "Huskavatooma" (pronounced who-ska-va-TOOM-a) :D
  16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds up here as Husqvarna was run out of BMW Canadas head office in Toronto with 2 employees. BMW Canada will want to sever all ties immediately. I would assume that KTM NA will be taking over distribution of the brand for all of NA.
  17. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Ill be curious as to how contingency unfolds and if the financing portion will be effected.
  18. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...here,in a nutshell is what I would like to see happen....Mr. Stefan Pierer walk away "completely" from KTM/Husaberg and build Husqvarna into the dominating marque that it so rightly deserves after all these years.Anything less from Mr. Pierer ,is "not" acceptable ..."I" do not want Husqvarna to be tagged as entry level brand.I paid a little more for my Husky's(up until recently anyways...and I'm talking owning Husqvarna's since the 70's)and I'll gladly pay for quality as needed...
    To this,I'm putting this issue to rest until more concrete news comes about and I'm going to spend all the quality time I can with my 2010 TC250 and my 2007 WR125...starting now!
    HAPPY TRAILS:D
    Guscycle
    BadMotoWeazal, bigjon, Blazes and 2 others like this.
  19. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I financed a Dodge Sprinter through Chrysler Business Financial, during Daimler-Chrysler days and when Mercedes sold Chrysler, my loan was sold to another Auto Loan group. I imagine all the Husky loans will be similar.
  20. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

You know, you guys that keep parroting the line that BMW must provide parts for 10 years may be barking up the wrong tree. I spent quite a bit of time searching for PROOF that an automobile manufacturer, let alone a motorcycle manufacturer, must provide parts for 10 years past the models lifespan.

Couldn't find a darn thing other than the same thing being repeated over and over until it became gospel. Hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true, right? I think Abe Lincoln said that. To the contrary, I did find a law site where a lawyer said he could find no such law.

If someone can post a link, showing me that this 10 year requirement is indeed a law, I will eat crow. Otherwise we should quit repeating what I believe to be false.
    ray_ray, JonXX and panhandlebars like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.