KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    CTS was done long before BMW dreamed it up and going to the patent office with an idea that someone else has already had will get you laughed out of the building, so BMW / Markus Theobald's patent looks pretty specific in it's specification regarding the coaxial pivot and the transmission:

http://www.google.com/patents/EP1743832B1?cl=en

Even without the wriggle room that keeps patent lawyers in hookers and coke I think it's worth considering that this technology is now probably not that relevant to Munich and their future output, so I imagine they'd licence it to anyone who was willing to pay.

FWIW I think CTS might well have merit in certain applications and is certainly worth developing further. :)
  2. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is there any chance the CTS system was part of the deal? Personally if I was getting out of a certain market segment, I'd sell all related products & technology, unless there was something secret no one knew about that I'd want to keep for a future Ace up my sleeve.
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    I also would like to see a second generation of the cts come about. It was the best part of the 449/511 package in my opinion. Not knocking the rest of the bike, but I thought the cts was the highlight of the bike. I would like to see where they could take it.
    oregonsage likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the motor in the 449/511 is VERY good too. I actually love the whole bike.
    oregonsage and bigjon like this.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    DeCoster extends his contract with KTM till 2016. Maybe sharing resources?
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    CTS might have been part of the deal since as of right now, only a Husky bike uses it. But who knows... time will tell.

CTS was on it's second generation. Husky changed it a bit to make it easier to change the front sprocket. It was a royal PITA on the BMW G450X.
  8. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Even without the wriggle room that keeps patent lawyers in hookers and coke I think it's worth considering that this technology is now probably not that relevant to Munich and their future output, so I imagine they'd licence it to anyone who was willing to pay.

LOL :)
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Exactly how I feel, Kelly. I really want it to be true and I'm just going to have to take it on faith that it will be true. Hard to do for a natural skeptic like myself.
  10. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    So do we know for certain if production of new Huskys stopped when the deal was signed. I would think Husky is still producing/shipping bikes so the dealers have something to sell for the next 9-12 months. No product would seem a hardship for them bear. I know the press release says BMW will no longer supply parts but do we know what the definition of "BMW supplied" is?

11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am an eternal optimist and always think everything will turn out fine. It usually does.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Dunno but sure there will be a lean year before all is sorted and moving again. Crossing my fingers for the best.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Probably see a lot of "Huskie Massaged Ktm motors and WP forks/shocks in Husky frames and colors at the brand launch in November. (Larger tanks, Wide ratio tranny's in the WR's/TE's/TXC's, dual ignition switches, and a button option for all but the 125's.) Very similar to what Husky did to the BMW 450X. I could be wrong but the only motor that I think Husky "should" continue to make is the 125. It is a simpler, cheaper, equally performing and bullet proof design compared to the KTM 125/150. You can argue the rest of the engine line-up but it is the one motor/bike that even the rags like better. This isn't me bemoaning the loss of a big bore motor because they will be offering the WR/CR 200, with Husky tuning the WR for ultimate trailee performance characteristics that I want. JMO
    Radbuster and 454x like this.
  14. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    why would an astute business man want to lose earnings on his newly acquired factory
    if you stop work what do you do for trained employees in the future
    I see him letting it roll till he remodels the existing line of models
    oregonsage likes this.
  15. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    WR/CR 200 you say? Sign me up, I don't care what name is on the engine cases.

I think once the initial shock wears off most will see this as a pretty nice opportunity for Husqvarna. Things are going to be different but that isn't always for the worst. Having better distribution, an owner who wants to develop the brand, a solid engineering department that understands off-road as well as MX are great things in my book.
    boisedave, bbc, wallybean and 2 others like this.
  16. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Like CTS? It's not new, put an A-Trak on your bike. I had one on my 84 CR250. Same end result.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ...and I'll still prefer the 165. I have ridden several 200's since owning the 165 and still prefer the 165 over any of them. the 200 is almost in 250 opower catagory and that changes the personality of the bike. But thats for another thread.

I agree though, the 125 husky must live on. It is a timeless design that still wins shootouts today and crazy durable.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    KTM 200
    GG200
    KDX200 :>)

:thumbsup:
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Similar maybe. The CTS does not changed the angle of the chain like an A-trak does and rob a bunch of power. It aims to do a similar thing but is far from the same IMHO.
  20. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    I talked to Steve at Halls Cycle - They have two WR300 (One is taken >Me) and a Demo WR250 with 5 Hrs on it.

P.s. I was thinking about our little Series here in AR - only 3 Huskies in the whole series, every one, won there class championship!

B-open, +50 Super Senior, and Novice Vet 30+. All in a sea of orange. (some other colors mixed in, too)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.