KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajobigguy Administrator

Somehow I just can't put a lot of faith in reporting done by a online mag. that reports about things in the mortorcycle industry with a sidebar dedicated to articles such as "Celebrities talk about their boobs".
    4eyes, Grandia, oregonsage and 3 others like this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'll go with this - but even if there is some truth to that, it would seem to me that there is not a large market for a 300Lb 200cc street bike in the USA, India & China probably yes, but not USA - unless priced very low.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That a US perspective as I think the KTM 200 duke is a HUGE seller. The "husky" 200 would never fly here but we are not the center of the earth :>)
  4. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    The article only states that they plan to introduce a 200cc Husky duke in the next couple of years. Says nothing about husky only focusing on affordable commuter bikes. KTM offers the duke 200 in India, but not here. They do offer pretty good dirtbikes for the US.
    Coffee likes this.
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

For me -- the worldwide street oriented KTM/Husky stuff isn't all that relevant. It does offer a glimpse into the potential mindset of the new owners. The only thing that I took away from the article was that Husky is positioned ABOVE KTM. I thought that was interesting.

In the end, I will wait anxiously for news and pictures of the 2014 or 2015 bikes. That's where the rubber will meet the dirt [so to speak].
    Motosportz likes this.
  6. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am more interested in the celeb boobs than a 200cc Indian bike.
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Nuda R aint nothing like a V-Strom!!!

Nuda's may have the 800R powerplant but this bike was squarely aimed at the Monster/SM market...it's only recently that BMW released a 'touring' which is really a bunch of panniers bolted to the side...the small fuel tank makes it crap against the V-Strom...but put the Nuda in tight, twisty corners and it's a sweet handling bike.
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Great...Husqvarna maybe the new Royal Enfield of the 21st century :(
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Ive assembled a Royal Enfield out of the crate and let me tell you, they would have to do some serious reverse engineering and replace most of the components with old junk parts from 50 years ago and assemble them...i mean slap them together with junk grease and flecks of dirt and sand.
    Theres no way they could take a Husky down to that level.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That streeter stuff from a dirt bike company is an attempt at growth IMHO ... For some reason, companies must show growth ... Sell 1MIL bikes this QTR and next QTR sell 9999 and not only did you not have any growth but sells are down also ... Gives the stock market a reason to move up or down on a specific company ...

--

2014 bikes? So again, we wait for a new dirt bike from a new owner and this one will be a SP diamond I predict ... It'll take alot to be better than the current 250/310 models ... These bikes really just need some polishing ... and 2 more horses ...make that 3 more ponies ...
  11. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Boys-
    A prior posting on an Indian based news release indicates that about 75% of KTM vehicle sales in a recent period were of 200cc bikes in India. The uber sophisticated hi dollar rigs we see in these United States may just be pond scum.
    anselmo
  12. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Maybe they will call them Hinduvarnas.
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  13. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    How does that make sense? The Fox is surely there now then! It won't be KTM doing major distribution - that would kill KTMs ability to move their product. Go back and read where SP wants to keep it separate (as much as that makes sense) Thus, Logistics is maintained. Oh, I think there will be shared resources - everybody does that now. Look at Rotax, WP, Showa, KYB, SACHS , Countless others. You see engineering, components, everything - on everything - its a World market.
    I guarantee that Bajaj had little to invest here - that's not the way they operate. Doesn't mean that is the way they will "Spin-it". Opportunist, IMHO. From the logic of it all KTM did not need to buy Husqvarna nor does it really need anything from it at all. Actually it's kind of a burden if yo look at it. SP is got something else up his sleeve.
    turboslacker and ray_ray like this.
  14. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Just some thoughts...

If the intent is to complete with the Japanese bikes, you have to compete mostly on price. In fact, to start to gain market share you have to sell at a lower price. And if Yamaha is manufacturing in Chennai and is moving KYB production there, you may have little choice but to manufacture or assemble in India to compete.
    Basically, you design and prototype in Austria, source your parts from all over, (engines from Taiwan, etc.) and assemble in India. Not much different from how Apple builds iPhones.

BMW got things going in that direction and they invested a lot of money, but dirt bikes aren't their core.
    The new owners seem to have things setup to make the next move to lower costs even more.
    At the end of the day, they need to sell more Huskys. 10,000 a year is not enough to pay off the investment.

India is a huge market but price sensitive market. I would guess you can't sell a lot of Austrian built KTMs over there. Most of the bikes used over there are low cost, small cc, air cooled 4-stroke or 2-stroke bikes and scooters. Easy to work on and cheap available parts. They're used to carry 3-4 people at a time! Anyone who's been over there has seen the crazy traffic and lousy roads. It would take a low cost bike built for that market to compete. When Ford went into India they had to design small cars just for India, heavy duty shocks, good horn!, and easier to maintain.

I would say that any decent bike selling for less than $8,500 msrp can't be built in the U.S. or Europe anymore. At least not for long.
    Pardon my ramblings...
    Dave
  15. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    You may be right about this -
    Then again in a few years they may be the only one who can afford a +8500.00 bike!
    look at Peking, China, used to be nothing but Bicycles - now its Mercedes, BMWs, Lexus, Cadillacs.
    Monetary entropy.
  16. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    mnb, rajobigguy and typeone like this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Maybe SP does not like this direction or the guy who wrote it ...

Why is SP and HIS company lumped in with bajaj at every turn here?

EDIT: After reading some posts here and there, I can understand all the confusion on what is or is not happening here ...
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    4eyes, dave lindsey and typeone like this.
  19. rajobigguy Administrator

4eyes likes this.
  20. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.