KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Correct - new bikes for emerging markets. Obviously the questions we are most concerned with have no answers at the moment - current bikes, the future of the non-emerging market type bikes.

They keep bringing up the VW/Audi/etc business model - are any of those in emerging markets?
    john01 likes this.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    http://www.vgc.com.cn/cds/?menu_uid=549
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    You don't see the Duke 200 here, so I wouldn't worry about Indian made Huskies going anywhere but India and probably Asia.
    Harbinger and Coffee like this.
  4. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    All the talk about Husky's (for our market) being made in India reminds me of something I saw about Chinese manufacturing.
    Mercedes Benz, BMW, Chrysler and pretty much all other "premium" car brands manufacture their cars in China for the Chinese market, that's it.
    for the rest of the world they manufacture in there respective home countries.

I don't think we will have much to worry about seeing Made in India on Husky's in the future. At least In most of our countries.
  5. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The word that I am hearing is that the Husqvarna factory is tentatively sold to MV Agusta as soon as the EU anti trust people approve the sale.
    Harbinger likes this.
  6. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

They keep bringing up the VW/Audi/etc business model - are any of those in emerging markets?[/quote]

I work in the auto business ... there are some recent articles out there about VW being the 1st manufacturer to "gamble" big time on global platforms built with "common" building blocks ... it's a bit like using legos to build different products - the same building blocks arranged in different ways. It makes sense and results in dramatically fewer unique parts and lower parts costs. VW expects this to radically increase their profitabilty.

In the automotive world most manufacturers prefer to produce vehicles in the country where they are going to be sold to limit the affects of currency value fluctuations. (currently the US dollar is not performing very well atainst the Japanese yen so vehicles made in Japan cost much more to produce - therefore limiting profitability if sold in the US) I have heard (but not verified) that all Honda motorcycles are now made in Japan ... and that Honda motorcycles were only profitable for the past 5 years because of their presence in "emerging" markets.

Draw your own conclusions what this all means :)
  7. chuckc4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, does that mean we go back in time two years, except the bikes are Husky bikes skinned as MV Agusta's?
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They can do whatever they want for all I care. I´m a bit sick of 600cc bikes for urban use right now and have found that I´m much happier on a 250ccin urban conditions. Much faster and a lot more agile. And CCM have come out with a
  9. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If things go drastically wrong, we´re not obliged to stick with Husqvarna for the rest of our lives. Gas Gas and any number of others make very good bikes. I´ve found that I´m a lot happier on a 250cc than on my 630 in urban conditions. Much faster, niftyer and more agile. I´ve always liked CCM and now they´ve come up with a small E3 homologated moto.

Attached Files:

10. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Looks like an XR Honda to me!!
  11. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Yep it sure does

slightly different plastics but these bikes are here sold as CRF 230 and SL230

Both Honda
    for town very good bikes for of road (from point a to b without fun factor very good)

For me very boring

Robert-Jan
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    rasputin said this is highly unlikely, as MV has updated the old factory for adequate production capacity, new more affordable bikes and improved quality. They have endured hard times, but are on the upswing. They possibly would have bought Husky back, but not just the new factory.
  13. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    i was thinking dr200 then i looked up the honda,more honda than suzi
  14. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have heard that the TE630 is to be returned to the Husky line up. The bike has a huge untapped market. As it is the competitors are the KLR and DR 650 , neither of which are much of a competitor. The Husky just needs a good dealer network and support for Canada.
    MotoXotica, mekanik and XLEnduroMan like this.
  15. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    And will come stock with a Power Commander, AutoTune, and a Leo Vince exhaust
    TE 450 Pilot likes this.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    How is that radically different from what GM/Chrysler/Ford has been doing for many decades?
    Jeff aka BOLT, 454x and Motosportz like this.
  17. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    It is different because when GM was doing it the people in "the know" called it badge engineering and said bad GM. Now that VW is doing it is is called innovation and maximizing economies of scale, good VW.
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  19. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    No doubt. Any mystique over the Husqvarna brand IMO went away the moment they started slapping Husky stickers on Cagivas. Doesn't mean the resulting bike wasn't any good but at that point Husqvarna went from being a company that make motorcycles to a label to be slapped on somebody elses product. I like the old Huskys, and dig the current Italian Huskys. If they were junk I'd be looking at something else. Hopefully the KTM Huskys are cool also. I highly doubt they would release anything that is junk. If so there are plenty of good options like Beta, TM, Gas Gas, Sherco that actually have some brand cache in the niche dirtbike market.
    Captnemo and Motosportz like this.
  20. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True ... but my Husky 630 was a lemon when I first bought it, and it took some effort to get it right. I´d never expect not to have to customise a new bike. And it certainly wont be "boring" when I´ve finished. Quite apart from it being a CCM ... with a heritage, made by people who design bikes that can genuinely go around corners like a butcher´s dog
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.