KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    ok, I fairly sure it comes down to this
    1. How can we make this new, already designed, vehicle different for the other branches/brands of our company? (GM: Chevy, pontiac, Lincoln, etc), vs
    2. What parts can we select from our parts department so we do not need to re-invent everything for this new vehicle? (VW), then toss in
    3. Use modular design for the various components as much as possible (VW). For instance have motor mounting points set up in the same place so various engine could be placed in a chassis.
    I get that. Thing is, 2 & 3 have been good engineering practices for a long time, at least in the industries I've been associated with.

The end result, as far as I can see it:
    The products of the various VW companies will be much more controlled by Management and (hopefully) marketing i.e. a 2015 Audi XYZ could be 1, or 2/3 - depends entirely what management / Marketing wants that year. Specifically: The 2015 Audi XYZ could use the same engine/drivetrain/chassis/body as a 2015 VW ABC. Then the in 2016 Audi XYZ could use just the same engine as the 2016 VW ABC. Then in 2017 it could change yet again.

In addition, the term "modular", while 'liberating' to management & Marketing - will in the long term be 'limiting'. Eventually they will be competing on price as opposed to performance/handling/etc.

For instance, if ktm/Husqvarna/Husaberg all have to use the same engine mounts to be modular - it could well be that the mounts for some of the engines could dictate the frames.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The term modular can alos have to do with the machinery to make the product. The 4.6 ford triton engine I had in my 2000 pick up was called modular and I believe this pertained more to the way they could re configure the manufacturing equipment than stuff like the exact placement of motor mounts.

fran
    rajobigguy likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

and that guy knows a few things.

I am getting tired of the "I heard" stuff and will just wait and see where everything ends up.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Exactly. :thumbsup:
    HuskyDude likes this.
  5. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I like reading about Husqvarna's on Cafe Husky, not automobiles. :excuseme:

I would like to see the 630 back in the Husky line up. It is a solid, proven, reliable bike. A gusseted sub frame and compression clickers from stock would be welcome editions. :thumbsup:
    mekanik likes this.
  6. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The 630 just about slipped under the radar of EU legislation on the covert understanding that buyers would re-plug and power-up. Without the p/u it was just about unrideable, died at every apportunity and was decidedly underpowered. Don´t think it could be returned onto the market here in Europe. The 610/630 range has had its day.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

they ran like crap here too and made little power until you uncorked them. After that they were good bikes.
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The old Swede based motor lived a long time, but I think it's fair to say it's race has been run...
  9. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

look how long the DR , DRZ and KLR have been running basically the same motor. People still keep buying them , and the manufacturer's keep making money off a old design. Not nice high tech bikes but definitely money makers.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    No question, they will continue to milk every last cent out of the tooling, marketing, reputation etc, for as long as they can, but Kawasaki and Suzuki didn't (thankfully) drop their KLRs and DRs and get bought out by a progressive European manufacturer, that wants to copy the VW model. Did you read Norman Foley's post:http://news.yahoo.com/insight-volks...inance.html;_ylt=Ao_k1AWSjjQ_7aoDGx4vodnQtDMD, or the many references that Stefan Pierer has made to the VW business model?
    The other thing to remember is that the TE610/630 was never in the KLR/SUZ market, because they were priced 2000$ (+-) higher. The way the 630s were sold (finally), was to discount them 2000$ and many were bought by people who would have most likely bought a KLR/SUZ .
    The real surprise to me is if there isn't a way to continue the TR650. The TR650 actually is in the KLR/SUZ market and in a big way. The TR is a great modern KLR type bike, but better and can meet modern and the feared 2014-15 Euro regulations, that the old Swede motor can't do and still run great.
    I will also be interested to see how well the old Japanese designs do meeting future clean air standards and how long they are continued....
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the "Old Swede" motor. I had an 08 and I have a low mile 07 that I will start testing a Lectron carb on this week.:)
  11. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have to admit , i bought 2 TE630's when the $2,000 price drop happened. I'm doubtful i would have paid another 5 grand (with taxes for them).Our last few bike were a TE450 , TE 250 , TXC 450 and we loved them all. As ride areas in North America shrink i believe this type < TE 630 > of bike has the potential to out sell a lot of the MX bikes.

I hope Husqvarna has only great things ahead for them. Please give me a dealer so i can continue to support them.

Randy
    56on449 and ray_ray like this.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Couldn't variable valve timing, a new head, and fuel injection stuff be added to pretty much any existing cylinder down four stroke platform? Is there any variable valve timing in the motorcycle world at this time?

If for the sake of discussion Husky is going to be the compete against the Oriental big four (though stuff like klr isn't made in japan any more) if it isn't street then there still is closed course, off road, dual sport, dual purpose, and adventure. I guess it is wait and see.

fran
  13. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    Honda VFR used VTEC for a few years and the Kawi Concours 14 has VVT. Not sure if you meant single cylinder only but there are production bikes that have used or are using variable valve timing.
    fran...k. likes this.
  14. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    I for one will just see what happens --and when it happens as to what we will see come out of this whole thing will then decide what i will be buying next --
    Have 2 - 2009 610TE's one with 30,000 km on now. Have a new one that i have just uncrated and running in -have a 2007 450TE that just goes and goes --Had a crated 510TE that i sold last month for a small profit -- not often that happens --but it was new --brand spanking new :) Then My Favourite 634 SMR Eddy Seel Factory works Replica --:banana: As well as an Aprilla 750cc that i kept and sold my SM610.

I would love to see the 570 Knox --same motor as my Eddie Seel Bike back in one or the other Husqvarna -- THE Strongest Single i have EVER Ridden :) Has so much soul and charachter it should be illegal --
    bigjon likes this.
  15. shark36 Husqvarna
    C Class

Who will be responsible for having on stock the spare parts for the bikes, that came out in the last few years (example from 2009-2013)? What is the responsibility of the new owner in the context to guaranty of the availability of spare parts for the engines, that they will no longer produce (for example: te 310 will very probably be no longer as it is today, since as we can see, in the future, the engines will be much more identical in 3 brands).
    So hypothetically: if I will own my bike still 5 years (husqvarna te 310 2011), will I have a problem on the availability of the spare parts? Who will be responsible to to have them on stock?
  16. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna will still be responsible and Stephan bought that responsibility.
    bigjon likes this.
  17. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    What would make you say that ? We found out a few years ago that spare parts dont have to be made for any length of time at all after the bike is nolonger in production. This is based on a Buell we owned. As the spare parts ran out that was it.
    fran...k. likes this.
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Exactly, whatever is left over will be sold and doubtful they will make parts unless a particular platform stays in production. I imagine there is just not enough time to totally re-tool every aspect off the company unless they just stop everything for at least a year. It all will continue to be a mystery plagued by theory, conjecture, and rumor until the EU grants its blessing. It would be nice if the new boss decides to come out and share what his plans are, but I ain't holding my breath.

Why would they bother to supply parts for something that's not a Ktm product? Guys like this have little concern for customers of a purchased company in this age. They always figure that new meat will come to the table and would rather not spend any resources to connect and support with old customers. Especially when there are a thousand blogs magazines and other places that will gladly do it for them.
  19. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Don't forget though that there is money to be made selling parts. Very few of the parts of any MC are made by the manufacturer these days. I can't see why the vendors that are making them now would want to stop.:excuseme:
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    exactly what I was thinking.
    Blazes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.