KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Believe me, I agree but nothing is certain. Besides those manufacturers have contracts with BMW. I am just saying that we shouldn't expect a flawless miracle by any means. I'm a post Cagiva owner myself but I'm certain for owners of the bikes pre beemer, there must be some issues right? Did BMW go to the trouble to make sure all the Cagiva bikes were supported for a reasonable time, or did the parts just get harder and harder to find?
  2. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Im sure itll take a while to sort out the parts distribution system here in NA.
    The usual normal wear parts (head gaskets, bearings, etc...) will be well stocked but will still take a while to get to the dealer network, nothing new there.
    Seems to be the history with Husky - look at the folks with older (pre 2000) bikes and parts, that will be the same case for our newer bikes im sure.
  3. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    Where did you hear this?
  4. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    I was there back in the late 80's when Cagiva bought Husqvarna. Parts for the Swedish bikes got real hard to find fast!!! Cagiva didn't want to mess with those parts they wanted to keep up on the "Cagivavarna" parts. Back then I was a kid and it really took me off as I was racing a 87 CR 430. But now I look at it and it makes businesses sense why push parts from another era when you are starting a new era. Not say I like it, but talk to anyone at that time that had a Swedish Husky and they will tell you the same thing. If I had a 2000 up Husky I would be buying all the parts I could for it. History seems to like to repeat its self.....
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I would be surprise if all the wear parts aren't available aftermarket. Piston's, rings, rods, bearings, and gaskets. If you need a cylinder for that 310 in 5 years it could be tough. There will be parts for the 2 strokes for many years. Little change and many suppliers for all but the big parts. I see the big issue being cases, tranny parts, cylinders and heads. Of course there will be quite a few being parted out at about the point that parts are scarce so there is hope.
  6. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will give KTM credit, they have done a pretty good job of keeping OLD Husaberg parts in stock and they were only building 1500 units world wide back in the mid/late 90s. I dont think they will hang Husqvarna owners out to dry.
    john01 likes this.
  7. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I just want you back in the business of selling Husky parts!
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

You never know. As long as the current regime is gone from Husqvarna/BMW Canada, stranger things could happen...
    mekanik likes this.
  9. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Shopping for lightly used 09/10 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    350SXF 530EXC 300XC 525EXC 525MXC
    Nothing new here... please keep moving :lol:

I am a new member at CH and was shopping hard for a 310 or 450 enduro for a few months. Started life on Honda 2t big bores... then XR600s... then 500+ KTMs. I really wanted in on what Husky has been doing BEFORE the 449/511. Just can't wrap my head around that breed of Husky although I tried hard to like the 449. Just couldn't make sense of it. So for now I picked up another orange bike (350). I am still hoping and anticipating what might come if KTM keeps Husky real and somewhat independent.

Will a real-Husky based 450/510 reemerge... or is the BMW 449 staying... or should I just start shopping for a lightly used 09/10 450 and consider it the best Husky I can ever own ?
  10. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    Dear KTM,
    Please put some red and white plastic on your Freeride 350 and bring it to the states. Pretty please.

Thanks,
    Mr. Not offended by Husky stickers on KTM products
  11. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

can someone give a diffinitive answer. SP bought Husky or KTM did? Or did he as CEO acting as an agent of KTM buy it....or did he straight up buy it? I am led to believ he bought it with his company and KTM nor Bajaj has a thing to do with it. Then why all the Bajaj media? wishful thinking? uninformed indian news? Help! This is more confusing than a soap opera.
    Planepower likes this.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts

Have you watched the video linked in post 978 page 49? I have a hard time understanding but he certainly talks about Indian partner or something of that nature. It kind of also sounds like the ktm 125/200 platform will be in the husky two strokes of the future though it might mean the four stroke mini duke things not imported here.

It would seem from the printed material a privately owned entity ending in AG has entered into a purchace agreement.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I took it as the 4 strokes that aren't sold in the USA and Husky off road will have it's own deal with some shared parts.
  14. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

he's speaking about "ktm/bajaj engine plattform", which means the 125/200/370 duke engine, NOT a two-stroke engine.

r
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I think the guy is a smart entrepenur that's thinking out of the box.

Remember, not alot of profit in selling bikes. It is parts, labor and good ol customer service that makes a dealer.

No dealers = no selling bikes.

Nah, he's not going to run us off. He's just going to figure out how to take the best platform ideas and mass produce them for maximized profits. Oh, well, so you pull the rug out from some of the competition. He that's business in global market.

If I was him, I would throw everything at all 3 brands.
    ray_ray and bigjon like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I owned a 08 TXC450. Great bikes. I now have a TE511, better bike in many ways. IMHO there is nothing wrong with the 449/511 platform. It is very sold built, has been crazy reliable, has not seen the number of bad crank bearing posts (zero) that the old motor had or bolts vibrating out, or sprockets coming loose. Has the best EFI husky makes. The old mikuni EFI they strapped the older bikes with was crap in comparison. Its a great bike regardless of BMW influence.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    bigjon and Radar like this.
  17. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    some people resist change at all costs. Under the seat tank? :excuseme: CTS? :eek:
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    that and the fact it is BMW influenced makes a lot of people instantly hate it even before riding one. I have never been a BMW fan, like some of there stuff, some is amazing, some is way over engineered but I am just judging the bike for what it is as a bike and how it works for me not how it came to be etc. I threw caution to the wind, bought the first one in town and luckily love it. As this platform is going away I am actually happy I have one. Might grab another one to hoard at some point.
    4eyes and Blazes like this.
  19. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    A safe bet is if you want to know what something is going to do in the future look at its past. A Husaberg has slowly become a blue KTM.
    Harbinger likes this.
  20. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't think anyone (of us) knows for sure. My understanding is that SP (through his holding company) personally bought Husky. I assume that he plans on doubling production of "Huskies" world wide by manufacturing about 10k a year in India for the Indian market and that's where Bajaj comes into play at this time. It also sounds like many of the components for Husky, KTM, and Husa will be common parts. The biggest subject for conjecture at this time is how much they will end up being the "same" bike with different plastics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.