Lectron long term review

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Well, I've had my Lectron for almost 11 months and figured I'd share my thoughts.
    Bike: 2011 Husqvarna WR300
    Carb: Lectron 36mm
    Fittment: It's not a direct fit, but it's not too difficult to install. Swapping to the earlier carb boot on the engine side makes it a little easier to install. I also purchased the custom throttle cable from Lectron.
    Tuning: Extremely easy. The carb does need to be removed, to get the slide off, to turn the metering rod. However, once it's set, you're done.
    Performance: I really like the smooth linear feel. I live and ride at about 900' elevation. I have ridden in Colorado, Utah and Nevada up to 8,000 ft of elevation without having to make any changes to the carb and it performed flawlessly.
    Cons: My biggest complaint I have had with the Lectron, is that the throttle has stuck wide open 3 times. It hasn't done it several months, so hopefully it's done. The first two times was right after riding through some muddy water that got sucked into the air box. The third time was in Moab. I dropped my bike and when I went to restart it the slide was stuck. All 3 times I had to remove the carb and clean the slide on the side of the trail. The seal couldn't fit on top of the carb where throttle cable enters and I didn't seal with something else like tape, so that may be the issue. Also when I switched to the remote choke cable and removed the right side choke, there was about a 1/4" of packed dirt on top of the choke plunger after only a couple months or so of use. The initial right off idle throttle hit is a little soft, but not enough to detract from the pros of the Lectron.
    Summary: I feel it was worth every penny and I'm glad I installed it and have no regrets.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for the report, always useful. Sounds like some silicon sealant in a few areas would be good. For reference we machine these carbs down now so they fit perfect. Costs a little more but makes the fit right.
  3. artr01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is the reason I ordered my carb from you last week. From what I have been seeing on this website I think I have a good feeling on who knows Husky's and everybody needs to pay attention and learn from the knowledge on this site. After I get the carb I will have to wait about 3 months probably send suspension off to Zip Ty then 3 more months and get a Motosportz's steering stabilizer even though nobody in the southeast where I ride has one. Everyone here has Scott's. Then about 6 months later I am going all in for the 165 thanks to Walt. Also I would like to thank Vinduro for helping me some with the stock suspension. A lot of great people on this website I hope it never goes away. Thanks everybody.
    john01, Motosportz and smadams68 like this.
  4. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been running a 38 from Motosportz on my YZ250 for 4 months now. I removed the reed spacer, bolted it on, and haven't touched it - it might be a click or 2 rich but it's soooo smooth. My first trip thru the gears caught me by surprise when the power came on 500 rpm lower than normal and lofted the front wheel. Next surprise was how much more throttle control I had - and since the low and mid had more power there wasn't the 'sudden' hit as it came on the pipe. Next surprise was that it revved 500 rpm higher. Soooo - it comes on sooner and signs off higher with at least as much peak power as before - mates who have tried it are shocked at how much it doesn't feel like a mx bike anymore. I even decided to go up one tooth up front with the new found low and mid (no need for a flywheel weight). Throttle control thru whoops is aces and power slides go on forever with the wide power and throttle control. After riding for a while I noticed that my gas jug lasted a ride or 2 longer than before - haven't measured gas mileage but it's improved - I think it may be partly because I don't need full throttle and max rpm as much.

issues - 1) you must get the motion pro throttle cable and metric adjuster and 2) it occasionally decides to bog like it's out of gas for a moment and try to stall unless I let off the gas - when I quickly whack on the gas just as it's getting fully warmed up (5 minutes into a ride - it only does it once then it's done) ... strange.

Been following the trials of APT trying to get its product out - makes me smile even more every time I ride - the Lectron seems to have a big advantage over the APT because it's available AND because it has the adjustable top end jet.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    There is one thing I absolutely hate about the lectron. That is that I only have it on one bike, and need another for my 144. I need to get one on order soon as my 144 is starting to get set up very well. The lectron is one thing it needs to finish the package...

Later,
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Everyone reports smoother running, more control and better MPG as well as very consistent running with altitude and temps. I have sold over 150 of these now for all sorts of bikes and almost everyone loves them. Many customers have bought 2 or more from me. We are still working all the time to refine them even further for our bikes with custom rods, sizes and setups. I really appreciate the feedback, time and kinda words, makes it all worth it for me. Thanks guys.
    MikeB likes this.
  7. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    How would it go on a CR450? Not talking Husky or the current Honda race bike but the early 80's 2 stroke Hondas?
    My mate has one and can back up all the reviews that were written at the time saying it is a powerful piece of garbage to ride.
    A big issue was the carby although ran better when it was fitted with a later model CR500 carby.

What could a lectron do for the older gen 2Ts without power valves?

Sorry to hijack...
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Works GREAT on those bikes as well as any vintage bikes. These (Lectrons) have been around for 40 years! It is a great upgrade to any older bike. I had a CR450, weird bike. I also had a CR480 left kicker, was actually a pretty good bike for me at the time (a long time ago) They dont make seats like those couches anymore. Steer with the rear brake.
    Vinduro likes this.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I had Lectrons on my Factory Hercules back in 1976 and 77. I tried to use them on my Factory Suzuki's but the Team Manager made me remove them because Suzuki's came from factory with Mikuni's. Glad I am back using them again. PS, I was using Edelbrock Quicksilver carbs on my Honda XR250/315cc, and my Honda XR400/440cc bikes. These carbs were designed by the same guy, Red Edmondson. If I had to do it again I would gladly use Lectrons on these bikes.
  10. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Any reason why the Lectron carbs you can buy today would make these older bikes run better than the Lectron carbs you used to use?
  11. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Machining technology has improved significantly allowing them to make the metering rods to closer specs.
    CrankN and Vinduro like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I spoke to Kevin about this and the old ones work well but there have been many changes. So many the old rods don't work in the newer carbs etc.
    CrankN and Vinduro like this.
  13. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Would they know what spec carb i would need to suit a CR450, and what i would require for fit up?
    I'm thinking a 38 or 40 for the fire breathing dragon.
    Would i get this through you Kelly?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Email, me. This will be no problem. Might need a few dimensions from you on the stock carb. What CR450 we talking about? Honda 2 stroke? Email me and we can sort this out.

motosportz@gmail.com
  15. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

A race shop in Texas built a 51hp YZ250 (measured on their dyno 6hp over stock with a well tuned oem carb) and reported on TT that all attempts to run a APT failed. I sent him the Lectron off of my YZ and he bolted it on (in 10 minutes) and tested it. He was impressed with the fit and finish but felt that my off road jetting was too lean on the bottom (many offroaders prefer leaner idle settings than mx'ers) and that it was too rich on top. He did a few dyno runs and it topped out at 49hp. I told him to go ahead and tune it since it's so easy to reverse so he turned the needle 1/2 turn richer for the low end and screwed the power jet 1/2 turn leaner for the top end and retried it. Viola' = 51hp. The dyno shows that the oem carb comes on pretty good just below 6500 rpm but then falls off waiting for the power valve to open - the Lectron doesn't have the same pre-power valve surge.

In practice on the YZ the Lectron is super easy for most novices to tune pretty close, doesn't have the 'surge' then stumble then 'hit', and makes the same peak power. This means that the Lectron 'feels' smoother which is great for off road when combined with self compensation for weather and altitude and better mpg. A well tuned oem may have a better 'hit' for mid turns and exits for mx but has to be fiddled with to keep it just right.

When I changed to the Lectron I loved how smooth it felt and how it revved. After riding with the oem while my Lectron was in Texas I realize how poorly tuned my oem really is. It feels ok down low but is unhappy a midrange part throttle - midrange full throttle is good (really good) but it gets flat on top and won't rev. The mid range 'hit' of the oem is wicked fun for dropping the tires into a nice rut and blasting thru and out in 2nd or 3rd (I run 15-50 sprockets) I'm looking forward to throwing the Lectron back on - it would be easy to get more mid turn hit with a different pipe or timing or head mod or ....
    wallybean, Motosportz and jmetteer like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good info, thanks for posting.
  17. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    That was really good news to see real data from derek at hp bikes. That means for us mere mortals who cant jet a carb to the 99.9% of perfection like derek can we get basically optimal jetting and performance with super easy tuning. I was sold before but this reinforced it to me big time.
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I got two questions...
    I ordered a gnarly pipe for my wr300.

How would the carb be concert with this pipe? (I mainly want the carb because my 300 is duel sported. So its my "do it all" machine and wanted as absolute much range as possible. Even with my IMS tank I still find I want more range because have run out of gas)
    Is it such a sure thing that I could sell my keihin on ebay and buy it sight unseen?
  19. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    In my experience yes. You will be able to make noticeable and drastic adjustments with very minor tweaks to the metering rod and the power jet.

I cant comment upon the mpg increase but my carb came set up for airplane fuel which has a different specific gravity, more octane and leaded so it needs much richer settings and i was up and running with the initial settings i needed to adjust the rod to get it running better but now its about as good as i can imagine. It runs cleaner than any carbed bike ive owned stock, modded, 2 stroke, or 4.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The Lectron carb will work with any pipe just fine. I have about 6 pipes for my 165 and works with all of them even though the power band changes significantly. The 125 class bikes usually see big gains in MPG but the 250/300 guys report just OK gains. Might be worth exploring the perfect rod for the 250/300 which I will be working on very shortly.