1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Lectron tuning--starts w/o choke = too rich?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by venturini, Aug 19, 2013.

1. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Seems that I read a post regarding Lectron needle tuning somewhere here or another forum stating that "if it's warm out and the bike starts first kick on the first startup of the day WITH NO CHOKE, then it's rich---lean it out 1/4 turn" Anyone have an educated opinion on that statement?

Running a 38mm with the MS-3 needle on a CR 150 with Husq/PC pipe, Motorex Cross Power at 40:1.

I've found it interesting that many lean the Lectron out just a touch from the out-of-the-box setting before being happy with the jetting. I've suspected that I could easily go 1/4 leaner because of slight spooge but was happy enough with its out-of-the-box setting to leave it UNTIL I went riding on a pretty slow trail with my neice and nephew. When I got back from 1 1/2 of riding the back of my jersey (white that day, of course) was splattered top to bottom with pre-mix stains. I had a backpack on until the last 20 minute loop so the vast majority of the specks were deposited in the last 20 minutes of the day.

I've always been told that a properly jetted bike can be lugged for long periods without spooge or build up---they don't need to be "cleaned out" to keep running well. When I ride by myself, I get no pre-mix splatters but do get a bit of spooge with next to no smoke when warmed up.

Anyway--mostly interested in that "starts first kick with no choke means too rich" statement.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sounds like you're rich. My bike runs perfect and i still need the choke on hot days just like I did with the stock carb.
  3. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    What I find peculiar is that at start up (whether I use the choke or not) it seems to rev a bit higher then when warmed up. I leave the petcock open and the float bowl is filled so it shouldn't technically be revving a bit high from being lean---unless I'm missing something about the design of the carb.

If I pull the choke after it's been running for about 10 seconds it dies within about 3 seconds----I'd say "geez dude, lean it out" if it were a normal carb but, as noted, I'm not real savvy on any peculiar traits of the carb---other than how the bike rips now.

Side note--it seems that with normal carbs if you exit a corner a gear too high and just give it about 1/2 throttle the bike (at least small bores) ain't going nowhere fast but with the Lectron, as long as it's only one gear too high and you start giving it enough throttle to where the bike says "wrong gear goooon" then giving it more throttle will allow the bike to simply pull through the mistake and start moving like it should. Pretty dang cool !!!
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    what I have found similar to what your describing is these Lectrons do well with and like larger throttle openings than your standard carb.
  5. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    You may be a little rich but there could be another reason for the splattering - The type of 2 stroke oil !
    I always use the same oil, Castrol Power 1 but due to all their oils being pulled from the shelves due to suspected water contamination I was forced to switch brands and so tried Motul , Bike runs fine but after playing in the woods and lanes at slow speeds untill I could give it the beans I have never seen so much smoke exit a exhaust pipe along with a huge amount of splattering of unburnt oil
    I always mix at 32.1 but Motul even state on the bottle - mix at 50.1 and this would appear to have been the problem as I have now gone back to Castrol and under the same conditions the smoke and unburnt oil problem has vanished and all is clean and spotless
    And as a side note I do get a tiny bit of spooge if ridden slow for a long time but none if ridden hard .
    Bike will also start without choke if you catch it first kick cold but much prefers the choke.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good point on oil types. I have used many types over the years. Some spooge like crazy some do not. Redline and Silkolene have not been good for me, lots of spooge and temperamental. I settled on Amsoil many years ago for cost and I like how it works. Also used to like Spectro in the blue bottle.
  7. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    I've used the Motorex in my KTM 250 XC for 1 1/2 years now and, even with a Q Stealth (which many curse as a spooge creator), I have ZERO spooge---none ever, even after a two day Dirtwise clinic where 75 percent of the riding was at slow pace. And it's definitely NOT running lean.

I think I have some Motul sitting around but I'm thinking it was the "race pace" formula, not the trail riding stuff. I'll look into getting some of the trial riding Motul, even if it will be mainly for my nephew's KTM 65 because it's aweful at spooging but I left it rich on purpose since he uses it for Hare Scramble and I like it less responsive.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have never thought spooge was a bad thing other than cleaning it up. If the bike runs great run it. Check the flash point of the different oils, this is what causes spooge. One thing I have found about amsoil and one reason I stick with it is the motors look super clean and nice inside after running it. No matter how much spooge exited the pipe the inside looks clean and everything is moving freely. My piston looked amazing after 1700 hard miles. I have also noticed the piston and PV are very clean after switching to the Lectron carbs.
    huskybear and 454x like this.
  9. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    All MOTUL oils have a hi flash point so they all will spooge at trail pace.
  10. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Not so sure---according to Motul's web site, the flash point of the 710 is listed as 190 F and the 800 Off-Road is listed as 485 F. Motorex lists the Cross Power flash point at 230 F so not much advantage for me to switch to Motul just for riding with the kids.

But that's neither here nor there-----my main question was regarding not needing to use the choke for first start of the day indicating that the Lectron is set up too rich for my bike. Not really meant to be the 1000th oil debate thread.
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I use Yamalube and it seems good with spooge
    So would you say you were happy with the Lectron on the CR - how is the top end ? .
    Ive heard they have been dyno tested here in Oz to gain 8% extra power at mid range compared to same size Keihin
  12. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Extremely happy. I'm using the CR in the woods and if it's flowing enough (not super tight) I am often a gear higher than before with the Mikrappi carb. The best part is how smoothly it goes through the power band as opposed to the way the Mikuni gave such clear transitions from one circuit to the next.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't even messed with the power jet (heck, it took me a half hour just to find the one sentence hidden away in the manual that states which way to adjust for richer or leaner settings). Still, out of the box, the bike pulls very well in the top end (Pro Circuit pipe w/ 296 silencer.)

8%? Interesting---seat of the pants dyno can believe that. All I can say is that many times when going through single track and I'm coming to a technical obstacle I down shift all the way down to 1st gear just to get a reference point before choosing 1st or 2nd gear depending on the obstacle and what is beyond it and am shocked to find that I had just ran the previous section of trail a gear higher than I would have guessed. In other words, I was sure I was in 2nd based upon how responsive/zippy the motor was based on the stock carb only to find that I was in 3rd.
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    SORRY IT WAS TORQUE not power
    quote from guy from
    Two Stroke Performancewww.twostrokeperformance.com.au
    "I can only speak for the Lectron but what they offer extends well beyond temp and elevation changes... To me that side of them is almost irrelevant and has yet to be proven.... What I have seen consistently is WAY easier tuning (for 90% of tinkerers who don't fully understand the PWK's circuits), smoother, crisper throttle response, more stable idle, much better midrange torque (~8% gains on the dyno compared to the same bore PWK) and a more linear, controllable feel to the delivery."
    Personally I am not sure about linear for a two stroke - I like a bit of hit
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I geared my bike up for a desert race and after running it like that in the woods just left it as it would pull the taller gearing EZ with the Lectron on it.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    To me personally it has been proven. I typically ride 50-2500 feet. I did the Idaho City ISDE and it started out at like 4000 and went to 8400. I Asked Kevin from Lectron if I should change anything before I left. He said run it. I did and it ran perfect even though others were complaining about very rich running. Ran exactly the same at 8400 feet as it did at 50.

I have sold like 70 of these now. Very few unhappy customers but did have one guy that did not like it as he missed the hit. I screen people really well now that I understand them a lot more and what they deliver and have actually talked a customer or two out of them.
  16. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    They are starting to get some interest down here. At a higher price $.. I would like one for my 165 - its on the list still.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I have sold several to Australians. They take a slightly different setup because of your fuel.
  18. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I bought mine off Kelly and couldn't be happier. I've had issues (with the bike before Lectron, it helped but still ongoing) and he's been nothing but helpful throughout. Price shipped to oz was quite reasonable and added little to the price. Came quick too, happy days.

As for fuel, seems to be a bit different, but with how easy the thing is to adjust (off, adjusted and back on in way less then 5 mins) it's not an issue to sort it out. Glad I pulled the pin.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Thanks! Glad your happy with it. :thumbsup:
  20. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been and gone, TL1000R & FIreblade
    Likewise, bought my lectron from Kelly and very happy with it out of the box. First race with it last weekend and the bike was transformed.. felt sorry for the other guys who spent thousands more on their KTMs and Bergs etc, yet my WR250 was running great with only a relatively inexpensive mod. Shame Husky didn't get the carb right in the factory!
    Motosportz likes this.