Lectron with pictures help.....

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by HSrider, Oct 6, 2013.

1. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Guys after spending 2 hrs on Friday trying to get a good plug reading with my Lectron and I couldn't I went riding today. Current settings on Lectron are meter rod set as it was delivered and PJ set at 2 turns out. The bike ran good but it seems to pull but has no snap or power when under load or going up hill. The plug was a hint of tan. Below are some pictures. Now funny thing I rode with the guy that bought my 12 300XC KTM recently and he rode the Husky and said the 300 KTM felt the same way and his dad also noticed something wrong with it. Anyhow he thinks it's my 2 stroke premix I've been using for a while which is the Motul 800 2 stroke pre-mix at 50-1. He said he thinks I should switch oils and try it because after he cleaned my 300 carb and went with his normal gas mix of amzoil and premium pump full it ran great. I rode the 300 today and couldn't believe the power. So I'm hoping I can get the same results with the Husky after switching my pre-mix and then checking carb settings.

Here are some pics any comments or help would be appreciated.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sorry for the large pictures.
  2. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Cr 125? Try a Quarter turn richer on the rod and half turn leaner on the power jet. Stay at 50:1 on the premix.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

thats would be my suggestion as well.

Why is there dust / gas on the side of the carb? where is that coming from?

I love Amsoil. Its all I have ran for years and trust it and like it.
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Just noticed your fuel level looks low, was the gas turned off in this picture?
  5. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    I'd say the dirt on the carb is from the short overflow lines. I'd be more concerned about where it is damp/dirty around the reed block.
    duggoey likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    VERY good point! I'd yank that and reseal it ASAP. The base gasket shows wetness too. Even the center case. Odd.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It almost has to be it might not even run with it that low.

- Riding in dry dust has advantages, really shows the leaks.
  8. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    That low fuel level is exactly the same as mine was out of the box so had to tweek the level

would be very concerned about the dampness around the reed block as well.
  9. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the comments and yeah the dust showed me a few things and I was wondering if I was dealing with a bad seal or air leak type thing.

On the fuel level I just shut the fuel off and let the bike run until it died since I'm switching oil pre-mix. Also plan on cleaning carb.

The fuel over flow line was actually seeping while hauling the bike or sitting in the garage and I don't understand it.

As for the dust on the side of the carb I have no idea. I have both boots tight and it's almost like there is some sort of moisture getting by the boot seals on each end of the carb.

As for the base gasket not sure why there is dust there because everything was torqued to specification and brand new and clean when installed on the bike.

Yeah dust is a good thing but I'm not sure where to start but I'll start somewhere.

I read something in a post on here about replacing the reed cage gasket with a Honda CR gasket can anyone tell me if this is true and if so what year Honda CR gasket do I need?

Who knows maybe switching my oil and just going through everything and cleaning everything up will help. I'll then look at the possible adjustmenst suggested on the earlier post.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I would for sure reseal that reed block before riding it again, looks like a serious leek.
  11. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will do that and are you suggesting a new gasket or some sort of gasket sealant? Looking for advice.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Both. For sure gasket sealant. I like this stuff.

[IMG]
  13. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    2 full turns out on the PJ is really rich it seems. Mine was delivered with the PJ out at 1.5 turns. Ends up I have it at .75 and now it rips with no sponge. I ended up on leaning my rod out .25 of a turn. PJ comes on sooner than you think in the mid range. I am riding a 300 Berg TE. Before I finally got the PJ right, it would seems very sluggish in the mid range and would transition to high revs but with some "rolling on" of the throttle. Now that the PJ is set right, it rips with no hesitation, a good looking plug and no spooge.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

All real good input. The PJ is more throttle position sensitive than RPM. So yes if you yank the throttle open when at low RPM you get ion the PJ. It is right there and EZ to turn. Start going one direction 1/4 turn at a time and see if it gets better or worse. At 1 turn out with my current new pipe it felt flat. At 2 turns out it also felt flat. At 1.5 it rips. Just need to move it around and find the sweet spot for your bike and configuration. Same with the rod. Cool thing is the PJ can have good affect on it and it is simple to twist and see what happens.
  15. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I sealed the intake and switched to the Amsoil premix and got a chance to go out riding a bit on Sunday. The bike still has a bog on the bottom so the one thing we tried was the power valve adjustment that has been mentioned on here. That helped a bit and I also turned the PJ out to 2.5 and that helped. The bog was so bad though that starting up a slight hill in first gear the bike actually cut out. So I was at a lost of what to try next. I looked at MotoSportz post on installing/setting up lectron and going to go through it with those steps. Also contacted Kevin at Lectron and he said the bog on bottom is a lean condition so said I need to adjust the meter rod and go from there. So I'm going to try that after the bog the bike runs Great.
  16. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    just noticed after Sundays ride that my Lectron is wet on the side exactly like yours. i haven't had time to investigate yet but i could almost see that corner wasn't seated as tight as the one to the right of it (towards rear). wonder if those screws can wiggle loose easily? funny, i was just staring at this last night then ran into your pics. interesting.

as for tuning, read the Lectron guide Motosportz posted, it's really helpful. play with the rod until you get the high idle (lean) condition then richen slightly from there. i've tuned two rods this way and they end up pretty much perfect. the PJ i've been playing with over time, i had a sputter up top when the bike would get warm... turning the PJ out further would sorta cure it but wasn't consistent... odd thing is, i swapped my plug (again) and made sure it was gapped to .024. the previous plug was at .030, no clue why! (Beer?)... anyway, my top end RIPS now, no sputter or odd behavior when hot.

long story short... also check your plug gap while you're tuning.

EDIT: oh, and +1 for Amsoil. i run Interceptor and/or Dominator at 50:1
    Motosportz likes this.
  17. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    I had a problem with my lectron leaking at the bowl, which kevin replaced under warranty and so far its been good no more problems.
    My carb looked just like yours and at first i was thinking it was leaking at reeds until i seen it leaking out of the corner of my eye.
  18. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    oneal, no kidding. huh. was the plastic bowl moulded wrong or something? now i'm real curious why mine is leaking.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Is it leaking as in dripping off the carb or seeping and in gets slightly wet at the seam? I have had many of these carbs now and some seep slightly. Kevin at Lectron said there was a few in a batch that had the o-ring not pressed into the slot 100% right they found. If it is slightly damp I would not worry about it. If it is dripping I would contact them.
    typeone likes this.
  20. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    slightly damp. thanks for the info, i'll take it apart and see what's up.