1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Living with a 2010 Husky TE 510!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by danbartol, Dec 7, 2009.

1. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Nice bit of work you have put in to your 510. I worry about the rear tugger strap being secured to the riv-nuts. The db killer, OMG! Can the bike even run with that thing in the pipe?
  2. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good point!

I should look into finding a way of attaching it to the subframe grab rails.

Thanks
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    good info danbartol. :thumbsup: It's good for people to see what the differences are in actual numbers, as well as get a ride opinion on the power differences. Good stuff.

We should try to get together and ride soon. Well if this white stuff ever stops falling. :banghead:
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Can he do it for me if I send him my seat?

Thanks!
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Someone on TT finally found the correct testing RPM:

The SAE J1287 testing RPM it is: RPM = 250,000 / stroke (mm).
    This is your standard- 45' angle 20" test in a clear area outside.

08-09Husqvarna TE250/310 55mm 4545
    08/09 Husqvarna TE450 60.7 4118
    08/09 Husqvarna TE510 67.8 3687
    08/09 Husqvarna TE610 76.4 3272

The TE-510 should have been tested at 3650RPM

Needless to say I was almost double the RPM range. I think that goes to show that even when within the minimum standard 96dB rating the bikes are loud. I don't know of anyone that rides at 3600RPM. So anything not meeting the minimum standard is ridiculously loud.
    JamieHC likes this.
  6. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I just got done re-testing the Husky at the proper rpm (3650). I only tested the FMF Q4 with spark arrestor inserted and adjusted the other numbers mathematically using the difference I measured between dB at 6500 and dB at 3650 (6dB).

Not the most scientific way , but it gets me in the ball park and I did not feel like dismounting and remounting a bunch of exhausts.

Here are the results:

[IMG]

Got some graphics to spiffy up the ugly tank:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    She looks absolutely fabulous. The graphics do a great job on the tank. I like the carbon on the header pips too.
    Cheers.
  8. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an 09 510.
    I didnt change the pipe but I cut the insert down to 1 inch so all the insides are removed from the insert. She is still pretty quiet but not restricted. She is putting out 49bhp with the stock pipe.
    With the insert removed completely it didnt realy help the power, just makes it noisey.
    All the restrictors are removed by the dealer in the PDi in the UK. Who would want to buy a bike that was so strangled?
    Enjoy your 510, they are beauts.
    Safari Tanks are working on a bigger tank! :thumbsup:
  9. flyinryanmtb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250R CBR600RR
    I just bought a 09 te510 and was told by the dealer that I would have to remap the bike after the powerup. Is this true? and also I would like to keep the o2 sensor in place hoping that it will give me better gas mileage.
  10. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

the power up removes the o2 sensor as it will no longer uses the sensor in power up mode. The bike runs really bad in stock form as it was leaned out and choked up to pass smog for the licence plate.

The power up kit comes with a cap that once you remove all the restricting you install the cap in the place of the o2 sensor and it makes the bike run great
  11. Dudge17 Husqvarna
    A Class

This is amazing!! Great job danbartol! I just picked up a new 09 te450 and am looking forward to getting into these kind of mods!! I am loving this site.
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well the MoJavi works superbly. I carried 15 lbs of stuff (tools, tubes and spare fuel) and rode for two hours on an Enduro/hare scramble course full of whoops and I only had to snug up the left side once. After that it was rock solid.

Best of all I did not even notice it was there. I only felt the rear tool bag on my bum once while hopping a log.

This bag certainly voids the need for a rear rack.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The only thing holding me back were the god awful stock Karoo II tires. I have since spooned on some Maxxis Desert tires which are guaranteed to be an improvement.

[IMG]

The only caveat and this is mentioned in the mounting instructions is that the bag will scuff up your plastics and you need to install some sort of protective adhesive layer.

No Protection:
    [IMG]

Protection:
    [IMG]
  13. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I also did my first valve check at 400 miles and everything was in spec. The bike is a dream to work. It's super easy to get the valve cover off and work on the valves. Great design and lots of maneuver room.

While I was at it I added a crank case breather hose so I don't get any oil in the airbox.

[IMG]

Additionally I installed a CRF450X mud-flap since it is a rigid piece versus the floppy rubber OEM Husky one.

[IMG]

The fit is perfect and requires only relocating the left hole.

[IMG]

I also trimmed a bit of the mud-flap to allow it to sit flush w/ the swing arm. There is a section of the upper chain guide which interferes whit the mud flap.

[IMG]

I feel like the OEM chain is too short and should be a couple of links longer to allow for more clearance between the tire and the swing arm. It's pretty tight in there and there is tons of adjustment room to the rear.

[IMG]

Following an inmates suggestion I moved the rear tug strap from the side panel bolts to the rear frame bolt:

[IMG]
  14. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    danbartol, where is that trail you are on? looks like fun.
  15. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

PPIR Private Track
  16. Wombat Boy Husqvarna
    C Class

Nice posts and the pics are great. Any chance I could get the name of the one who redid the saddle. My seat is like an upolstered brick...ouch.
  17. Mr. Huero Husqvarna
    B Class

Excellent Write Up

danbartol thanks for the excellent write up as you ‘farkled’ the 510 into an exceptional trail bike. I’ve got 2 bikes, a ‘09 te310 (girlfriends) and ’10 te510 that I will be doing very similar mods to… so you can see it will cost twice as much. :busted:

Couple differences I will do with our bikes is use the HDB hand guard as I’ve had both the Cycra and Fastaway and seem to spend a lot of time bending them back into position (if I’d crash less this wouldn’t be an issue) and the Scotts dampener with Georges under bar set up (already on the 310). Will add the Kouba Link (1" drop) for the 310 and both bikes will get HID courtesy of Airtime HID.

Rear tire is something I’m curious on what works as I’ve been through several Maxxis Desert IT’s on my WR450F but the size that works best for me is the 110/90. The massive Karoo 140/80 will need a replacement but I’m not sure I’d want to put an IT of similar size back there… maybe a 120/90 to start.

Please keep the info coming as its been very helpful as I set up our bikes. :thumbsup:

Ron
    Huntington Beach, CA

BTW the useful tip my girlfriend gave for our bikes is use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the plastic to keep it looking good. ;)
  18. RRM707 Husqvarna
    A Class

19. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    How much have you ridden it now? How does it do on pavement? I want another dual sport and I'm wondering if this one would work or if I need to go for the 630. Thanx.
  20. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I finally got a few hard off-road miles on the bike by doing several hundred miles of single-track in Utah. Because of the trail ridden I geared back down to 13/47, which was optimal for the more technical stuff. Didn't do much dual sporting, but on the few fire roads we hit I certainly could have use a bit higher gearing.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I didn't get many pictures of the Husky cause my riding buddies are bums and left all the photography to me, plus we were too happy to be riding after a long winter to stop often.

[IMG]

Overall the bike performed well. The suspension was great (all I needed to do was dial in some additional preload in the rear), the power delivery smooth and linear. Compared to my old XR650R the bike feels much lighter and more maneuverable, in particular in the really tight stuff. I do miss the stump pulling torque the BRP has right off the bottom and sometimes wished the Husky has a wider ratio gear box, but overall I love the bike.

[IMG]

A couple of caveats:

- Make sure you check the engine mounting bolts. On day three of the trip I fired the bike up in the morning and heard a strange rattle. Needless to say the upper front bolt was only held in by the skid-plate, having lost it's nut and the lower mounting bolt nut was almost all the way off. I recommend getting some nylock nuts and thread-locking them on.

- The white bike looks great when new, but scuffs up fast in the dirt and is impossible to clean. I still need to try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser trick an inmate suggested. Seems like a great Idea.

- With the EFI you need to really pay attention to the start up sequence. When stopped at a junction waiting for the guy behind you you cant simply turn the key on and hit the starter button and go. It's more like turn the key, wait for the dash to run through the start up sequence and listen for the fuel pump to prime the injectors.....then hit start.

- The bike was sometimes hard to start when warm and would take several seconds of starter to fire or even would require turning off and running the whole start up sequence to fire up.

- The Husky sure looks like she is bleeding to death when you dump it on it's right side and you just filled it w/ fresh bright red synthetic Silkolene oil. The first time it happened I thought I had punctured the case because of all the oil on the ground. The installation of a filter on the breather hose did not slow the flow of blood the least bit when the bike was on its side.

- Not too fond of this super straight kickstand, it's very finicky and almost requires you to lean the bike away from you to get it down. The design could certainly use some improvement.

- As for the vibes: I'm not sure if they have gone away or if I have just gotten used to them.

The Maxis IT Deserts performed well and did not supper any puncture or flats. I ran about 14 ps in the front and 12 in the rear.

When I do change the chain I will go with one that is 2-3 links longer. The stock one is too short and keeps the tire to close to the neck of the swingarm.

The MoJavi bag was great. Once on it never moved and required minimal snugging every other day.

That's all I got for now.