1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Living with a 2010 Husky TE 510!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by danbartol, Dec 7, 2009.

1. shirvo Husqvarna
    C Class

Hi guys just found this site whilst at work, good to see, I own a te510. Only just getting back on it after a big crash where i dislocated my shoulder, tore, my acl,mcl, and pcl. I must say what a bike, only done about 300k on it so far but cant wait to get back on.
  2. dirt_rider93561 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So what do you think of the Fastway F5 foot pegs? I am in need of a new set for my bike and was looking into the Fastway pegs. Do you have yours set in just the standard setup or do you have them in the lowered setup or at a different angle?
  3. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really like the Fastways. They are a quality product.

I like the fact that they are both wider and longer. Really makes for a more comfortable perch on the long days on the pegs.

I have mine in the low position (I'm 5-10) and tilted up just a bit.

One Caveat: with the stock Husky plastic exhaust guard I still burnt my pants so I recently got the P-3 Carbon fiber exhaust cover, which works great, but does force your leg out a bit placing your foot on the outside edge of the peg. Makes you wish for an extra .5 to 1 inch of length.
  4. dirt_rider93561 Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the info on the pegs. I dropped my bike and it bent the stock peg, so i know I'm going to need something stronger. I like the fact that they are adjustable to different heights and angles. Do the springs that come with the pegs hold the pegs in place good or are they light weight and allow the pegs to flop around. Only reason I ask is because I know a guy that bought a set of aftermarket foot pegs and they rattled due to weak springs.

I know what you mean about burning of the pants on the exhaust. My sister's friend made an exhaust shield for our huskies. I will take a pic of it and post it up when I get a chance.
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Strong Spring, so much so that it is a pin to get on, but once on it's good to go!
  6. dirt_rider93561 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here are some pics of my custom heat sheild. The fourth pic shows how low it wraps around the pipe to block the heat and the last pic compares the stock guard to the new one.

Off the bike:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

On the bike:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very nice work!
  8. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sweet!

Safaritanks has just released the first picture of their new 16 lt tank.

[IMG]

Comes in either white or red, too bad they didn't go with black too!

16lt = 4.226 gallons.

The look isn't great, but the function will be. I'm curious to see were they installed the fuel pump since it needs to be in the lowest portion of the tank. On the other hand it looks like the fuel will be carried nice and low.

i also hope it does not block too much airflow. It looks like the lower right lobe might do that?!?!?!?
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Now that's a fuel tank.:thumbsup:
  10. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The tanks should be available around the 15th of Sept according to the Just Gas Tanks web site.

I'm torn on which color to pick:

-WHITE: looks best, especially once you put the red Husky grafix on the side, but white gets dirty really fast and is almost impossible to keep looking nice and clean.

-BLACK: looks cool and will look sharp w/ the red Husky side-panel grafix on it. My main concern w/ the black is it absorbers too much heat and tends to make the gas boil.

-NATURAL: looks like shit, but is very functional. Keeps the gas cool and allows you to see the fuel level.
  11. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

In the mean time I've upgraded the headlight to an 8" Trail Tech Race light which I have retro fitted w/ a Bi Xenon HID, a Baja Designs Yellow polycarb Shield and an H-4 7" Hella Hi/Low conversion. (The 7" adapter and headlight is made by Boatman on ADV)

[IMG]

[IMG]

It takes a bit of finagling to get all the wiring tucked nicely away behind the headlight.

Not much room back there to hide everything.
    [IMG]

I also used the HID ballast mounting plate to make a custom dash to hold the OEM speedo and a couple of switches and the keyed ignition.

So far I've got the heated grips switch and a master light switch so I can turn off the lights. This came in handy this past weekend when I killed the battery trying to start the bike with it's hot start problems.

[IMG]

Low Beam
    [IMG]

High Beam
    [IMG]

Note: I could initially feel the additional weight of the headlight up front, but after a few miles of recalibration that feeling has disappeared.
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

So far I've gone 1150 miles on the bike and it has been lots of fun.

A Couple of thoughts on the bike so far:

I checked the valves twice so far, at approx 350 miles and just yesterday at 1150, they have not moved a fraction of an inch and are still on the loose side of the speck.

This despite having been flogged relentlessly in the Whitewash sand dunes,
    [IMG]
    on the Colorado single track and despite running hot and having over heated several times.

The seat mod w/ memory foam has turned out to be not so great. The profile and trim is perfect, but the memory foam material is not good. Rock hard when it's cold and way too soft when hot. Will have it redone in the same profile w/ some med. density foam.

I'm not too fond of the close gear ration on the bike and wish it had a wider ratio, seems more practical for all around riding, plus you don't constantly have to shift gears to be in the sweet spot.

The vibrations have not gotten any better, you just get used to them. This past weekend I rode my buddies 525 and was amazed at how smooth the bike is, much like my old XR650R. Why does a modern bike like the Husky have to vibe so much? That really made it hard to get back on the Husky.

The Husky starter seems weak and anemic compared to the starter on a 525 which turns the bike over w/ vigor and decisiveness.
  13. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I need to work on fine tuning the PC-V + Autotune to get it to run just right.
  14. dave4309 Husqvarna

hi danbartol dave here call me nieve but what is a pc-v autotune and what is supposed to do i currently run a te510 09
  15. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Power Commander V is a computer module that lets you tune the fueling on EFI bikes. This allows you to custom tune your "Jetting" using a laptop.

The Autotune is an additional module that works in conjunction w/ the PC-V and automatically (read on the fly) adjust your jetting to meet the AFR you desire. It uses a wide band O2 sensor to constantly monitor conditions and modify the fueling to meet the target AFR.

This is in theory perfect for people like me that ride in a variety of conditions. I start a ride at 7 AM at 6000ft w/ at temperature of 60F and by 3 PM I'm riding at 11,000ft with a temperature of 85F. Think of what these changes in air density related to Temp and Alt changes would do to a carbed bike.
  16. dave4309 Husqvarna

thanks for that mate ive been having issues with flameouts on really steep hills mainly on the snotty sections where i need to use more throttle control ive just fitted one of those dual mode mapping switches it seems to make a difference although havent been up any hard hills latley to fully try it out they tell me on sel2 it increases the bottom end torque I BET lol dosnt seem to rev as hard they also tell me if that dosnt work try putting the spark arrestor back in the exhaust to create more back pressure they like to talk alot here in brissie any how if all else fails i may have to try one of those units thanks
  17. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  18. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Still have not gotten the PC-V set up quite right.
  19. dave4309 Husqvarna

hi mate sorry to hear about your dissapointing weekend what ever to the days you bought a bike and just rode it ive never experienced this problem with a bike before but i did experience something similar with a car it was brand new and constantly kept overheating it went back to ford several times on a tow truck till it eventually siezed due to overheating to cut a long story short when they stripped the engine down they found that the engine block had casting sand in their it was almost like it had chrystalised itself in there throughout the water jacket thus reducing the water flow hence the overheating although was told it was unheard of before
  20. dave4309 Husqvarna

back again!! those what look like braces in photo 2 are they actually as wide as they look i assume that they are supports for the radiator guards do you think that they maybe causing reduced air flow through the radiators the radiator guard supports on mine are round and are approx the size of your index finger one at the top and one at the bottom just a guess