1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Looking for a simple oil/gas ratio

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by eric125, Sep 17, 2013.

1. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6
    I've done a recent top end. Re packed the exhaust. The bike is all stock and gets trail ride mainly. 2002 wr 125. I ride from 100-800 elevation and it has stock settings in the carb..

Main jet-400
    Jet needle groove -3rd
    Jet needle-6dj8-60
    Pilot jet-35
    Idle air screw 1-1/2
    Slide-3.0

My question is the manual says 33:1 but I've read a lot about doing 40:1. I'm still getting a little oil residue out of the pipe at 40:1. Should I stick with stock 33:1. Or do 40:1? And is 40:1 leaner then 33:1? Looking for a basic/easy answer without changing my jetting all around. Thank you
  2. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Oil residue out of the pipe indicates being too rich, but you didnt mention if it was stuttering or bogging at certain throttle positions, so we don't know where you need to start re-jetting. Just based on reading, and my own experience, usually you have to go leaner on the pilot.

Side note - it's usually not advisable to fix jetting issues by changing your pre-mix ratio. Choose a ratio and then re-jet to that ratio you've chosen. You can make 32:1 (or 33:1 as the manual suggests) work without getting oil residue from the exhaust.
    eric125 likes this.
  3. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6
    So if going leaner on pilot jet would be dropping it to 32.5? Or 30? And only time it feels it loses power Is at 1/4-1/2 throttle I would say. And just out of curiosity , is 33:1 richer or leaner then say 50:1. Thank you for your reply!
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Some oil out of the pipe is normal (spooge). If it is running good ride it. Don't change the jetting or the oil ratio to influence spooge. Some mix oils have a higher flashpoint and will spooge more because the mix oil won't get completely burned especially when putting around. A good example of this is Ammsoil Dominator has a 10 degree higher flashpoint than Ammsoil Interceptor. Both are excellent oils but made for slightly different uses. (Interceptor will spooge less)
    eric125 likes this.
  5. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Set your air screw properly first, and go from there. There's plenty of info online for how to do this.

33:1 is leaner than 50:1. more oil means less gas, less gas means more air per unit of gas = leaner.
    eric125 likes this.
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    1/4 to 1/2 throttle is your needle adjustment
    not to oversimplify jetting but if it sounds like it wants to just rev you are too lean if it sounds like it's burbling you are too rich
    happy is when it revs quick but seems to stop before it revs out
    richer leaner question, I guess you mean the oil ratio 33:1 means 33 parts gas to 1 part oil
    so 50:1 means more gas as in a leaner OIL ratio, but not FUEL ratio
    FYI don't get too bogged down in the 32:1 vs. 40:1 currently I am at 50:1 and the math is 2% (50:1) oil vs. 2.5% (40:1) oil in the fuel, good luck jetting that out 33:1 is 3% oil to fuel so 1% difference will not make it oily, just jet for your conditions
    eric125 likes this.
  7. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6
    Curious about the air screw. If it is horizontal and I do a 180 degree rotation is that considered half a turn? Just want to verify since I've heard many answers. And if the bike comes of the sales floor saying to use 33:1 and I never had a problem with spooge. Why is it happening now? Also I'm just looking for a recommended ratio based off of my stock settings.. Any thoughts. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated !
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Yes 180 degrees is 1/2 turn. How much spooge are you talking about? It is possible for the clutch side crank seal to go bad and allow gear oil to get sucked in to the engine. Are you losing gear oil? Also if the new top end was installed with different thickness base gaskets it could change the compression "squish" area and might now require a jetting change. How does the bike run?
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    the reason it might be happening now could be a few things, needle and seat set allows a higher float level so more fuel, plug and or ignition is off a tiny bit not burning clean, compression loss could do it, air filter might need cleaning
    there are many possibilities, and don't do them all at once or you won't know what fixed it, that might be handy down the road, people run 32:1 nothing wrong with it, I personally run 50:1, no big deal
    lankydoug likes this.
  10. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6
    I was talking to a guy I work with and he mentioned he used golden Spector synthetic oil at 50:1.. If I switched to this oil would it burn cleaner at lower speeds/rpms and could I mix it at 50:1 or 40:1 with out any problems?, hoping to clean up the small oil spooge with the stock settings adjusted? Or should I try it at 32:1?
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I think you're overthinking this too much. If the factory documentation says 33:1, that is fine. 40:1 is very, very common as well (that is what I run), and the bike will run fine there too, and for most folks I have trouble believing that jetting changes will be needed going from 33:1 to 40:1. That is less than 1% change in fuel delivered.

Just run 33:1 or 40:1 and don't worry about it.

Some guys run 50:1, and that is probably fine too, but I prefer to err on the side of too much oil.
    MotoMarc36, eric125 and JRod4928 like this.
  12. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6

And what's your thoughts about synthetic oil? I've been running torco gp 7.. I've read good things about golden Spector synthetic..
  13. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Synthetic oils and castor (bean) oils both have advantages and disadvantages. Synthetics tend to work as designed at lower ratios in comparison to Castor oils, and they run cleaner - but they can separate from gas, and break down over time. Castor oils are more consistent, don't break down over time or separate from gas as much as synthetics, and they have a unique characteristic in which the castor oil is actually attracted to hot spots, so your engine will be lubricated where it needs it. The disadvantage is that they run a little dirtier than synthetics, and you need to stay to 32:1 to 40:1 premix ratios, depending on the manufacturer, bike, etc. I definitely wouldn't run Castor oils at 50:1 like some synthetics are designed to run at. Personally, I use Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1 and I've never had an issue with messy 'spooge', nor have I blown up a bike, and I tend to ride on the pipe a lot.

It's a matter of preference...

Maxima has an awesome article about Castor vs Synthetic here: I recommend reading it: http://www.maximausa.com/lube-news/00.php
    eric125 likes this.
  14. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    You are way overthinking this. Just run Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1 and ride, ride, ride.
    Bill502 and Motosportz like this.
  15. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just hold it WIDE OPEN cleans out everything pin it
    454x likes this.
  16. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I also run Golden Spectro at 50:1 the spooge you are seeing is a jetting issue, I ran the Maxima 927 for years because I loved the smell, I ran that at 40:1 and when I switched nothing changed and had the same exhaust oil as before, correct your jetting, if you are asking me my opinion it is Golden Spectro @ 50:1 but there are many opinions here and as we know,,,,,,,,,,,
  17. eric125 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 wr 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 yamaha r6
    And when you went to Spectro at 50:1 did you rejet ? Or did that fix your drool problem just by changing the ratio?
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    completely agree.

Really depends on your riding, it you are riding technical stuff you get a lot of spooge as you are idling down long hills the crank case loads up. If you are Dez or MXing it very little spooge as you have higher RPM keeping the crankcase clear and higher temps burning stuff off. Jet your carb for proper running and deal with spooge IMHO. Amoil here, love that stuff.
  19. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Jet the bike so that it runs right. Mix the oil so that it stays lubed. If you do these two things, ignore whatever comes out of the exhaust.
    2premo, gots_a_sol and 454x like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Exactly.