Loud clacking noise?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by skywalker951, Jul 13, 2013.

1. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am going nuts trying to find a loud clacking noise. When I ride it is goes away when I pull the clutch lever in or at certain rpm's. It is not the chain as when I am rolling it should still be making a noise. The clutch works perfectly and when I put the bike on the center-stand and run it in gear there is no such noise. I have checked all the bolts on engine and the installed options and I am starting to get pissed. Everything works great and the bike is smooth. I have a windshield on the bike so I know I will here more noise, I will take it off tomorrow and keep testing.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks
  2. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Just to clairify, you're only hearing the noise when you are stationary, the bike is running but not in gear and the clutch is not engaged? If it is always making the noise, can you give an indication where the noise sounds like it is originating? Can you record it and post the recording file so that we can listen to the noise?
  3. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    Describes just how mine sounded & acted with a loose chain. If you're like me then you run it pretty loose to start with. Easy to adjust & rule it out as the cause.
  4. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will adjust the chain again, I had pulled the cs cover to see if there was something in there, I do tend to run a loose chain. I have installed a Kouba link and this should keep the chain closer to its tightest point. The bike is in motion when the noise is there and goes away when I pull in the clutch, I have adjusted the chain once and have about 800 miles on it.
  5. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I found it, after checking and tightening everything on the bike and testing about 5 rides I noticed my sprocket bolts were scuffed up. They were hitting the swingarm weld. I used the parts manuals on Café Husky to check my parts. After close inspection of the rear wheel and spacers I had a small washer type spacer on the wrong side of the cush hub/sprocket carrier. It is great to have these manuals on our sight. I also quieted down the rattling from the rear license plate assembly by putting a handlebar pad on my Touratech parrier crossover bar, this worked great and was an added bonus for all my work. Also put a small windshield on today and did about a 100 miles to check all the updates and could not be happier. 10 days until my trip to the Millville National, can not wait to go.
    HuskyDude, Coffee, Chuffa and 2 others like this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    GLad to hear you got that sorted. Was the bike delivered with the misplaced spacer or had you had that wheel out before ?
  7. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe it was my error.