1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc make a wr300 outrun a 450!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Bryan M, Oct 31, 2012.

1. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

im geared 13/46 and dont have any issues out running very many 450's in the open.

fmf gnarly, new reeds, rich jetting(just to be safe). not sure about any head work or what piston.

jetting= gay needle middle slot. 45 pilot and 450 main.
  2. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    thanks kris, very good info...sounds like you have alot of experience in the sand. you made a point that made me wonder...he was running a ten paddle with shorter paddles and he said he didnt feel it hooked up as well as the 8 paddle with deeper paddles i was running. maybe he had some additional wheelspin where mike bike was hooking up better and i was running out of power. my bike ran similar to a new wr450f that still had the emissions on it, where this bike, an rmz450 ate us both. good ideas on the air pressures to! ill try that. As far as the jetting goes, i ran it for a few min to warm it up then did some plug chops..gray, slightly lean.. i jetted two sizes on the main up and did another couple plug chops. cardboard brown, looked good.
  3. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    When I ran deeper paddles on quads or bikes I could get the hole shot almost every time but the drag that they created slowed me down tremendously once I got going only to be passed by the guy I took out of the hole.. Mabey you could swap paddles with your buddy to see how they compare? Your buddy probably felt like the short 10 paddle was a terrible on small slip faces that you can't get a run at or like when he needed to get on the gas to lift the front it was like it wouldn't pull up just spin? These are the down sides to this set up. Once you get used to it its normal riding again..
    When I ran quads I rode with a ported Banshee the would beat every 420 and bigger bored and stroked bansee that came around. He spent spent some mega money on light weight tires and rims but it's what got me into that set up after the first ride..

Also look for a paddle that has a round profile not a flat profile. A flat profile paddle will have more drag at speed then the rounded profile will.. A rounded one will almost plane like a boat will and have just the center portion of the paddle in the sand not the entire tires paddle.
  4. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    It's been a long time since I bought paddles but scat track has always been a favorite and they will ultra buff them to reduce weight. At least they used to.. Most molded paddle will be stiff and not be able to fold at speed where a welded paddle will.

I hope any of this helps. It is getting me all jacked up to start riding dunes again.
  5. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    I know it's not a Husky but find an old CR500 Honda and dust'em!
    huskybear likes this.
  6. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Just because a bike has lots of power doesn't always make it faster, you want usable power, drag racing in the sand doesn't mean anything.
    johnnyboy likes this.
  7. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bryan, The Racehead part number is HO944, I got one through Husky Sport in the UK but any dealer should be able to source one for you. The main advantage is an increase in bottom end - mid range. I don't think fitting one makes any noticeable difference to the top.
  8. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

A good running WR300 have no trouble betting any 450...
    My WR300 outrun all 450 i have seen in a drag race, hill, anywhere.
    Ajust your 300 and you will have no trouble with any 450.
    I only have a race head + Keihin PWK38 and some tuning (timing, jetted,) and my WR300 put out 52whp on the dyno. The jetting on this bike is the key.
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Not sure what this post is all about... my stock 2009 WR 300 would peel the stickers off 450's.
    Clete likes this.
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My 2011 certainly will!:thinking:
    Clete likes this.
  11. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    +1
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

Honda CR500's are OK but my Husky CR500 pulls them everywhere and has a 6th gear for the open

typically the 4 strokes have an advantage in the sand in that they don't get as hot so when you push yours to the limit keep an eye on the heat issue or you might lose a top end, I pushed a 250 too hard and found out the hard way, now get them on a tight steep single track and my freinds 4 stroke Husaberg got so hot it smelled and my 360 was barely warm
  13. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    14/48 for SAND
    13/48 for SINGLE

Stu