More Carb news, TMxx info this time

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Motosportz, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    OK, I just contacted my super secret inside guy at JD (also my new suspension guy) and he said they have the kits done and built and ready to go but not on the web site yet. They are $98.95 which is a little more than the other kits because it includes a nozzle that was necessary to make them run right.

If anyone wants one of these kits Email me and I'll get it coming to you ASAP.

I will be picking one up Friday and testing it shortly. thanks.

Kelly

motosportz@gmail.com
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    What is a nozzle?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the nozzle is the part the main jet screws into and the needle goes into from the top / slide.
  4. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I believe it is what the main jet screws into.

Kelly beat me.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Okay, so actually it's the needle jet. That clears things up. Thanks.:)
  6. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    does the nozzle = emulsion tube?

I may be talking out my ass, but dealing with my wetbike, thats what the dudes over at wetbike.net call it.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The emulsion tube is part of the needle jet. They seem to like to call the needle jet an emulsion tube more often on fourstroke machines, than on two stroke bikes. If you look at most OEM parts lists for two stroke motorcycles, the part is called the needle jet. The top part is called an air dam, by the way.

[IMG]
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  8. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    As usual, I look forward to your report! Is the jd jet kit for a certain displacement or does it cover all the 2-stroke huskys witha tmxx?
  9. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    The needle jet he sent me is a larger diameter to work with some needles he already makes. I ended up with a 5.5 slide also.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The jetting on the 125 and 250 are almost identical and the 300 can't be far off. I would think a few jets ether way would get it done.
    huskybear likes this.
  11. Alex_9 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM200xcw, 2003 Honda XR250R,
    This is going to be interesting. First, the APT test, the Lectron test (hopefully today), and now JD making a kit. Whats next, a new PWK, or DI?
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lectron review posted. JD TMxx kit next up. :D
    huskybear likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Jake just stopped by and grabbed pistons, rings, pipes (KX125 and Doma both for husky) and the TMxx JD kit. He has two TMxx's so he will JD one and swap it out with his slightly rejetted stock carb. His bike is a pretty stock 09 CR125 that is fresh and runs well. I also encouraged him to try my KX125 and Doma pipes I has laying around here. This should be interesting.
    ray_ray likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So I just updated the original post to show...

APT - Rules
    Lectron - Rules
    TMxx with kit - very good
    Stock TMX - works fine on my CR

I just got a "from the field" report mid test from Jake (thats how the Motosportz team rolls :>) He had his stock TMxx on hos 09 CR125 dialed as much was he cared to. Seems to run good but he is running the stock pipe that I hate. :) Anyway reports were very good. Said it was much better but lean at first. He richened the needle and said it was real good bottom to top.

So, the JD jetting TMxx carb kit seems like a very nice alternative as well. Look forward to Jakes report.

I'm sure this will get viewed as my transparent attempt to crash Lectron sales :lol: (carb fiasco joke)
  15. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    But for somebody who doesn't want to mess with jetting issues the APT or Lectron would be the way to go?
  16. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    But for somebody who doesn't want to mess with jetting issues the APT or Lectron would be the way to go? ( meaning me)
    john01 and jmetteer like this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Maybe. With my short exposure to the APT and Lectron they both offer "more" to me. The throttle response and roll on power and overall smoothness both the metering rod carbs have me convinced so far that they are a step ahead of the game. Might be some extended mileage with them too. Need more time on them. Spoke to Jake again, he is pretty please with the TMxx and JD.
  18. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Kelly was supposed to be there for this little test session but he had family duties... So he had a different kind of fun.

He is much better at reporting this type of stuff but I will do what I can.

I had the TMXX dialed as good as I could with the RM needle and #5 slide. It ran good enough but had a bad stumble after down hills and would take a bit to clean out.

I have a spare TMXX so I set up the JD kit in the spare and swapped them after a quick warm up. The plug check after the warm up was showing a bit on the rich side.

I had a little 1 mile single track at a friends house that was perfect for testing, I knew right away if there was an improvement.

The JD settings in the instructions were for a 250/300 so after talking to Dave at JD I started with one clip richer on the needle. I noticed immediately it was crisper and ran better but a bit too lean on the bottom and it had a pretty good bog. So I dropped the clip 1 more and it ripped but still had a small bog if I got stupid with the throttle so I turned in the air screw a half turn and rode it. It runs much much better, feels like it comes on the pipe about 2krpm sooner and is really fun to ride. The bottom might still be a bit lean, I will fine tune that a bit more. I didn't do any long top end runs but the top end feels great, pulls long and hard.

Plug check after the ride was perfect, a nice cocoa brown color. Makes me a happy camper.

I will post some before and after videos when they upload, until then here is a mid ride video.

Here are the settings I ended up with at the end of the ride.

420 main
    32.5 pilot
    Jd red needle 4th clip down
    #4 slide
    air screw 1 turn out

I rode the APT and hope to try out the Lectron soon, the APT was electric smooth almost like fuel injection. I really hope the current setup with the JD kit will be consistent with temperature and elevation changes. If it doesn't I may have to pay the piper for a Lectron.

Later,
    ray_ray, CelticDude, typeone and 3 others like this.
  19. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    So, Jake, it sounds like overall the JD kit is a sufficient improvement over stock, to the extent that it's worth the $90 (or whatever)? I am very interested in this. How did it impact idle/starting, which I think is a weak point of the TMXX?

I think that the main "benefit" of the JD kit is just cost; it's way cheaper than the APT/Lectron!
  20. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    It is a huge improvement over stock, and a good improvement over the RM needle and #5 slide combo I have ran for the last 2 years. I just hope it is a bit more consistent with this setup. Idle is a bit lower and it will die after 10 seconds or so. I am okay with that on a two stroke, the previous setup I had the idle cranked way up.

Here is the first run with the RM needle setup, it is crackly and rich.
    [IMG]
    More of that run after clearing trail trash...
    [IMG]
    Here is the first test with the JD kit...
    [IMG]
    More of the same after clearing more trash big lean bog trying to climb this hill...
    [IMG]
    And one more after raising the needle much better but still need to work on the low end a touch.
    [IMG]
    This one was after gaining 500 feet in elevation and dropping about 5 degrees, the bottom that was already lean was just on the edge of bogging. I turned in the air screw 1/4 turn and that is where I left it.
    [IMG]

Later,
    typeone, Motosportz and Xcuvator like this.