More news on the strada 650

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by firecrotch, May 12, 2012.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Still a heavy lump :rolleyes:
  2. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

that's why he wrote "the gs never goes in front".... :busted:

r
    WoodsChick likes this.
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    The GS is an ADV bike, not a dirt bike... It excels at things dirt bikes completely suck at. Like carrying anything for a trip. Like comfort. 2 up capability, etc...
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Not to be condescending or smug, just an FYI Strada(Ita)= Street(Eng), like I said just an FYI to hopefully clear the intent of the OEM for this bike.
  5. dirttracker1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    my10tc250,my12cr144,my12tc449
    Other Motorcycles:
    xr50,minienduro60,Gt80
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Apparently TONs of other people do, because BMW sells a boatload of GS bikes. Certainly tons more than the Duke...

Dirt bikers don't like them because they can't see the bike for what it is. They want it to be a 250. It's not. It's not a dirt bike any more than a Harley is a sport bike. That doesn't mean a GS or a Harley sucks. They're designed with a different rider in mind.

For the Harley, it's a cruiser. Try to ride it like a sport bike and you probably won't like it. It can't lean much, it doesn't have 190hp. It's for a different mindset, a more casual ride.

For the GS, it is versatility. For those that don't ride them on dirt, they still excel at handling poor quality pavement. And we have TONs of that here in California. They can do a lot more than gravel roads, I've done greens and blues on my GS at the local OHV park and I'm not that experienced a rider. They aren't designed for catching air and riding tracks. They're designed to get you somewhere. It's a totally different mindset than dirt bikes - the explorer mindset. Dirt bikes are toys. A GS is a tool.
    Paul B, oregonsage and Muddy Waters like this.
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    +1

The right tool for the job.
    250/310 for trails
    610/630 for dualsport
    GS/Tenere/990 for adventure riding, also great for 2-up.

Even the 630 is not so great for hyper-miles with gear, but I have mine setup as well as can be. Works great for rougher tracks and long distance dirt road rides and camping off the bike. It's faster in all terrain compared to the big ADV bikes but loses out on the freeway.

I'm debating replacing my Versys for a GS or Super Tenere for road trips and dirt roads with and without the wife onboard as either is better for long distance and for dirt roads. Going out to test ride the S10 Saturday at Malcolm's. Sat on a GS at the BMW test day, with the wife, and was completely surprised at how easy to balance and light it felt. Will ride one and a Tiger 800 before buying anything.

The big GS is the standard to which all of these types are measured. They are very comfortable and capable motorcycles. But yeah, they are NOT a dirtbike. :excuseme:
    Paul B likes this.
  8. dirttracker1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    my10tc250,my12cr144,my12tc449
    Other Motorcycles:
    xr50,minienduro60,Gt80
    just saying hope Bwm keep making GS and Husky keep His own orentation
  9. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Beautiful bike.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    KTM really stretched their capacity with the Dukes, knock on effect was a major drop in quality control across the whole line and financial impacts that necessitated Indian investors to prop them up. I hope our illustrious label doesn't bite off too much what with the Nuda et al.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Totally different situation. The Nuda is largely a BMW design. Husky is only tweaking it and providing style. Just like with the 449/511.

Besides, Dukes are fugly and Nudas are sexxay!
  13. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    How hard would it be to import. I'd imagine if it was preordered they could just throw it on a boat with other bikes? Should only need DOT tires. Heck is Canada getting it? Sorry, dreaming a little bit
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there was an artical posted somewhere on this site from the power that be at BMW/Husky and they said to many hoops to jump through to make importing the Nuda tot he US worth it right now. they saw it as a losing proposition.
  15. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I'm glad you like your GS and get it off the superslab.
    When I look closely at most GSs that have scads of miles on them, I see little or no evidence of ever even being on a gravel road. I think for many owners they are much like the SUV they own with the big offroad tires, that has never been offroad.
  16. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

You see, I read that post too wherever it was, and I was thinking what's so special about the "nada" that they got to jump through sooooooo many hoops unlike all the other motorcycles in the USofA?
    :confused:

If that's not a wtf then I don't know what is...
  17. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    homologation for the US is more time consuming and expensive. It's typical for new bikes to be delayed 1 year to the US. The F800GS was. And it uses essentially the same engine.
  18. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    What's the difference though? Could we just buy it in Canada and make it legal here?
  19. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

norton is getting close to a 2 year delay with their new 961 being able to sell in the states, europe came first, then the usa....
  20. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Canada does not have an importer right now so that will probably not work.