1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc My 2013 build & ramblings (lots of pics) & some Q's.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mnnthbx, Aug 25, 2012.

1. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    5/8" from top of triple clamp to top of fork tube.
  2. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thriumph Thruxton, Honda Ruckus
    I've jetted A LOT of stuff over the years, and know it can't be dome online. That said, I've took my best guess at a starting point, and just want to know if I'm in the ballpark, in a safe range...

32.5 / 450 / AS=1.25 / Suzuki needle middle clip / RB carb bore.

I've put about 3 minutes of heat cycle on it in the yard at 100% granny speed. As little as can be told there, it feels crisp and starts easy. Sounds a little wonky, but I've pretty sure thats the nature of the Husky sound off the intake through the rear hand holds. Something my KTM didn't have.

Temps around 80, 1100'. Will be used for single track and trail.
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Maybe a little light on the main with the bigger carb
  4. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK.... I put about 10 minutes on the bike, never really getting on the pipe. Cooled. Put about 10 more on it, flirting w/ power. Cooled. Round three, got on it pretty good, and noticed a few things....

I can get a tiny lean bog in the middle if I intentionally try to do so. Midrange power is flat (hopefully because of the lean spot). Top end is simply fantastic. This weekend, I'm going to get some ride time in shake-down mode, and plan to try both the 460 main and a clip fatter on the needle, then both together. In the past, I was able to force lean bogs on other machines by riding a gear high at walking speed, and ripping the throttle open. This really doesn't do that. More when I'm say, coming off second, clutch and let the RPMs drop a bit, then back hard into third. We'll see... I'll put some effort in sag as well once I get the suspension loosened up a bit.

Here's a few snaps of RB's handy work.

Oh, is there a traditional screw option for idle adjustment vs. that difficult jam nut set-up?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

get a DID T-Ring
  6. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Got some time on the bike today. My thoughts.... Seems fairly strong on the bottom for a small bore. Mid-range wasn't bad, but not a strong point. Top end is FANTASTIC. The bike feels wonderfully light. It also feels really tall, which is a good thing to me, as I'm 6'2". My initial jetting seems so good, I didn't even want to test other brass, so for now, I'm leaving that alone.

Gerald put springs for my weight in it, and re-valved the fork, as it will see lots of trail use. Perhaps the bike is a tiny bit stiff, but not at all harsh. I'll probably be able to work the clickers some and find happiness. I can't tell if I hate the front tire (I'm normally a M12 front / S12 rear man), or if the bike simply turns so quick it's not natural to me. Either way, I don't have tons of confidence in the front at this point.

The bad... Here's an odd one... I found the protruding oil sight glass instead of the rear brake a few times. I have big feet, and am sure I'll get used to the position. I've got spooge issues. Listed below by pic. Of note: The first 1/2 gallon I ran through it was really rich per the manual, no doubt causing some extra build-up. Now we're on Motul 800 40:1.

I don't really take spooge into account in terms of jetting, however I am aware of what I see. The silencer tip was typical two stroke stuff. No real mess or running.
    [IMG]

The compromise in running a cool pipe like the Scalvini is dealing w/ pin holes. This one I probably won't mess with. This is as bad as this spot got after two hours. I'll chalk it up to character...
    [IMG]

This is a tough picture to get, but there's a pretty good leak in the front bend seem. This I will actually try to weld up.
    [IMG]

Here's the biggest mess, and luckily the easiest fix. The OEM silencer isn't welded all the way around, causing a leak on each side. Easy weld up fix here...
    [IMG]
    Landing zone...
    [IMG]

Like the other Husky's I've owned, it seems to be a great bike, with quirks. I'll get it all sorted no doubt. I manufacture aftermarket accessories for the Honda Ruckus. There's several things I'd like to have for this bike that don't exist. I may well venture into trinkets for this bike as well. I'd like to thank you all for your input. Withought the help of this great site, I'd never had made it this far....
    Phoenix and huskybear like this.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks for posting this! I was on the verge of buying a Scalvini for my Son's MX bike. NO FREAKIN' WAY would I plunk down that kind of cash for a swiss cheese pipe! Holy cripes! :eek: What a piece of shit!
    454x likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great info thanks.

"Like the other Husky's I've owned, it seems to be a great bike, with quirks"

Yep.
  9. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm a perfectionist, and still a fan of the Scalvini. I also have fab skills, so this isn't a big deal really, considering the pipe flat rips. 90% of the mess was a result of the OEM Husky silencer....

A few more notes on the Scalvini... At both ends, it lines up perfectly. That said, due to the shape, it's crazy hard to get around the frame. Had to put a TINY dent in it as well, as it wanted to just touch the corner of the reed block. Again, the pipe is STRONG. Niche pipes belong on Niche bikes don't they? But yes, if you want to order a pipe that requires NO tweaking, you may want to avoid it.
  10. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Touching on gearing... My +2 @ the rear seems idea. Low enough to tackle any nasty single track, without giving me the sensation that all I do is shift. Honestly, the 6 speed was something I was concerned about, as I've been on a 5 speed since 2005.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There is no measureable amount of power loss using a warmed up Oring / Xring Chain over a non Oring chain.
  12. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whats your air gap?
  13. rmgsxr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Interesting to see that your stock silencer worked with the pipe. Mine didn't. Ended up with a Scalvini silencer even though I wanted to run the stock one. I haven't found/noticed any pin holes in my pipe yet.
  14. mnnthbx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Worked perfectly actually. What was the issue with yours? The Scalvini line up on each end better than any pipe I've ever owned, yet was the hardest by far to put on, as it takes a magician to get it wrapped around the frame rail. Did you find the same?
  15. rmgsxr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, mine was a little tricky getting it on. The silencer was too small to go on to the Scalvini pipe.
  16. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Not sure what you mean by air gap,my oil height is stock.