My Thanksgiving Ride In Nevada

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Jerulator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just stumbled on to your thread here and want to say thanks for the photo / story ! It looks like you had a great Thanksgiving despite the fuel shortage SNAFU. Where in Nevada is Ione ? Is it northern nv or more toward vegas ? Desert riding has got to be one of my favorites just need to go there more than once every 5 years like me :banghead:. I've been to Moonrocks near Reno, and of course to Jawbone etc down in the Mojave.
    BTW, I really like your 610 with the Renazco etc !
    Thanks again
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    :lol: Yeah, we were really roughing it, what with the hot water, killer food and tasty scotch every day :D The SM does great in that terrain. It would be a nightmare on the stock suspension, as it was really stiff in stock form, but I had Les at LT-Racing do his magic on it and now it goes everywhere with minimal effort :thumbsup: No Christmas shoots, but maybe some time in January? At least, I hope so...

Hey, Muddy! Thanks for noticing my rear end :p It will look even better when I take off the pannier protectors that hang down from the rack. No need for them since I won't be bike camping any time soon.

Hey, that's what it's all about, isn't it? Glad you enjoyed the report :thumbsup:

3. wersmokin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 WR 350 (sold)1998 TE410 (sold)
    I really need to leave Texas more often. Last time was in Mexico in 2003 and Colorado in 1998. Nevada sounds like a good place to go. Great pictures!! I usually go to the woods or to Big Bend.
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi, Jerulator! Ione is south of HWY 50, almost directly east of Minden and Yerington. It's beautiful out there! You can find single track in the hills, or you can find places to make your 610 go as fast as it'll go, thereby humiliating your significant other on his 640 :busted:

I was kind of digging the Renazco, too :thumbsup: It's a good inch taller than the stock seat so I was a little worried about stupid tipovers and such, but my worries were unfounded. It's also hard to get my bags onto it, but I'll have that figured out by the time bike-camping season comes around.

Nevada is a great place to go! We used to just drive through on HWY 50 as quickly as possible, heading for weeks of riding in Utah or on our way home. We started looking up into the mountains and wondering where all those roads went. We decided to find out one day and we've been going back for more ever since. It's almost to the point I might have to change my name to DesertChick :D

Glad y'all enjoyed the photos and the report. I really dig doing them so it's nice to know they are enjoyed by others as well :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  5. PhilM Husqvarna

Nice. I have ridden that area on the RM, but not on the 610.. Glad to hear you had a great time.
  6. Vegas Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think Berlin is the geographical center of Nevada. I need to get some packs on my bike and go riding with you guys sometime!!
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks! I rode some singletrack in the semi-same area a few years ago, and I was on a CR125 with a 3.4gal tank. It's amazing how much farther you can go on a 4-stroke with a big tank :)

Berlin is about 50 miles west and 30 miles south of the actual geographic center of Nevada, but close enough! There is an actual piece of rebar sticking out of the ground at the exact center, it's somewhere in the sagebrush behind me here...

[IMG]

Even better is if we could make it out your way sometime and check out your neighborhood with you! I've heard there is lots of cool stuff in your neck of the woods...er, desert :)

WoodsChick
  8. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

WoodsChick....I enjoyed your photo-essay totally. I felt like I was there and wishing I was. My buddies and I are thinking about planning a trip out west next May and the area you previewed will be high on our list. SC has some nice riding areas but not to the extent your area does. I grew up in central CA and miss that type of riding very much. Again thanks for the travelogue.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Right on! Glad you enjoyed it.

If I can be of any help, or if maybe you'd like some company on your ride, drop me a PM :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  10. Vegas Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Always willing to show people around southern Nevada (not many hot springs here :( ) We do have a get together in July near Death Valley every year that includes some fun easy to moderate rides, fireworks, good friends, food, drink, ect... Oh, and lots of Huskys too!