1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st New CR125 or WR250 for a novice woods rider?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Boosted Josh, Jan 9, 2014.

1. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    going back to the first post which was a question of CR125 or WR250, he did mention WR125 would be his first choice BUT it was not available
    now he mentioned the cost savings of being on bye-bye to Italian hello Austrian sale, so I read between the lines and see price is a factor, converting a CR125 into a WR125 is not inexpensive, that said I would recommend the WR250 as it is a WR, a CR125 is a dirt bike but not a great trail bike
  2. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Good to know! Heading out to Goons in the Dunes with the WR125 for Stupid Bowl weekend, am curious how it will do. I'm sure it will be fine especially since the sand is pretty grainy out there with lots of vegetation. There's only a few truly large classic style sand dune areas I'll have to deal with. Might need to fatten up the jetting a bit.

You should come up Kelly, its a good time. Come to think of it, I'll have to see if Lorne can make it too.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I saw his comment and I thought the opposite; if he wants a WR125, he should buy a CR125 and convert it.

What's the cost to convert? Have the suspension revalved ($400, probably would need to be done on a WR anyway), add a flywheel weight ($100), put a torque pipe on it ($200, but most guys are going to buy a pipe anyway), and maybe put a bigger tank on it? Most people are going to buy this stuff anyway, if not you're talking about like $500. That's about the price savings for a 125 vs 250 anyway.
    2premo likes this.
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    good point if your prices are accurate, the WR125 would be his first choice according to his post
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Who cares, just buy one :)
    Kyle Tarry and woodsrider like this.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Dang Kelly, I didnt realize you were that old!
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    go for the wr250, as it will be a good bike to learn on and if you grow out of a 125cr then you wont have to buy another bike, your sat on it.
    get wr 250 for lights and plate being able to ride to my destination to thrash and ride back is so much easyer than load up the trailer tie down worry about my car getting nicked etc... p.s. i live in uk so everything is close.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Remind me again, might have to join you guys, pix of last year look fun.

- yes, for sure fatten your jetting.
  9. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    This is the best! I have never had so much fun as do on a 125 and people do look at me and think 125?
    shawbagga, woodsrider and Motosportz like this.
  10. Boosted Josh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR125, '14 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    Wow, thanks for all the responses!

Money is important in that I normally never buy new and it is only the fire sale pricing that pushed me that way. The cost to convert the CR to WR spec would be manageable and I could do it over time so that's not a huge deal.

As far as size goes I've never sat on a bike I couldn't flat foot so that not an issue.

The weights appear very close on paper ~20lbs but it seems that based on what y'all are saying is the perceived weight difference on the trail will be much greater because of the heavier the rotating mass and maybe different "older" chassis geometry.

I don't have any intention at this point to go racing, rather I'd just like to get back into riding dirt because it's something that my Wife and Daughter could do with me that I think we would all enjoy. She used to ride a DRZ125L with a RM85 front end that I put together for her and liked it, and my little girl will be ready for a 50 soon.

The OTD price on the bikes are roughly $4650 for the CR125 and $4980 for the WR250.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, the 125 feels a lot lighter and more flickable.
  12. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    So does a booger.
    Dirtdame and K5PL5 like this.
  13. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    So what did you buy? You near Birmingham?
  14. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account

Not trying to take food off anyone's plate but I gave about $650 less than that for the 125 OTD but that was not including registration since I was out of state, either way its a great price for a great bike. Might be able to sweet talk the dealer into a good deal on some parts anyway??

Just to relate to something you know
    My buddy has a KX250 and my 125 is probably 4-6" shorter in length skinnier and lighter, with the high comp 165 kit and lectron the power is very comparable. My 300 is about the same dimensions as his KX250 but he thought it felt bigger than his 250 and slightly heavier and has enough power that you need to put on your serious face when you open it up. Just my opinion but I think both bikes "old frame or new" still handle better than his KX250.

Either way you go you wont make a bad choice just go with your gut and prepare for a good time!
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Might want to take a tape to those bikes. I dont think they are that far apart. Most bikes are within a inch or so of each other with the rear wheel mid slot. KX250 is kinda short and the 125 husky is long for a 125.

- just looked it up, depending on year of the KX they are about 58.2 inches and the husky is 57.9 so very close. I know this cuz i have had a lot of bikes in my truck with my 125 husky and the tailgate spacing is always close.

Totally agree.
  16. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    The length difference looked like quite a bit in the truck but I guess my rear is all the way forward and his was all the way back due to the sprockets we were running so that's why it might have looked like a bigger difference than it really is.
    Wonder if having an 18 rear on my 125 would make any difference? Not sure?
  17. Boosted Josh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR125, '14 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    Yeah, I'm in Birmingham. Trussville more specifically.

I talked to them and they are understanding about my indecision. They aren't pressuring me so I'll go down tomorrow and make the final decision, but I'm kind of leaning to the 125.

Price wise with tax they are about $200 more than the best deal I've found on the 125 but then I'd have to ship the bike. So it's still cheaper to get it from them.

I think the price on the 250 is about as good as anywhere.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  18. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Here is something to watch while you are thinking...

Don't mind the start, that was all operator error.

And the lap 2 issue was caused by the cheap Chinese petcock I put on it. Doesn't flow good on reserve...

Later,
    woodsrider and juicypips like this.
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    jmetteer, you picked some odd lines downhill on those switch backs but yeh fair play.
  20. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    hard to knock back the 125 especially when you get the free 144 top end-2 bikes for price of 1! id go the 125, mount the 144 to it & send the 125 off to get 165'd. bigger tank, suspension(youd do it anyway with the 250), FWW & you gotta wr125 anyway. 19" wheel is here nor there. new frame/chassis & 125 weight/feel is far better than the old design frame. 125s are fun! then again the 250/300 is an awesome donk but they do feel bigger/heavier/slower turning & when you get tired a bit of whiskey throttle can land you in a whole lotta trouble!:eek: