*** New Dates! *** Spring Fling Husky Ride, Stonyford, CA, May 13,14,15

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Aw, c'mon...man up! Put your pillow on it!

I'll call in sick if you will [IMG]

Oh yeah! I didn't even think of that! That's it, isn't it?...you guys just don't wanna let me ride your bikes [IMG]

Well, he'd have probably taken you up on that a few months ago. Now that he has the RB carb mod and the FWW he's pretty happy. He needs one more tooth on the rear and he'll be ready to rock [IMG]
  2. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Yes, it will be great fun [IMG] With all this wet weather we've been getting the trails should be perfect! [IMG]
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Stand more! [IMG]
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, Lonnie...stand more. I mean, it's only 437 miles.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, that's what I'm thinking/hoping. As long as we don't get dumped on we'll be sittin' pretty!
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, maybe. Your forecast is for Willets, and that's on the western side of the forest. Stonyford is on the eastern side. Not to say it won't be raining in Stonyford but it tends to be a little less wet than the western side.
    I don't mind the rain (as long as the FS doesn't close down the trails) since Stony drains well and doesn't get all sticky and gooey; It's the snow that makes it un-fun.
  8. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Willow, the HQ for the FS is also showing rain every day.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, I don't doubt it.
  10. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm sure the trails hold rain well. Unlike a man/made track that turns into a lake with a inch of rain.
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, kids, I think we're moving into Wait-And-See mode right now [IMG] I just got off the phone with a ranger at the Stonyford Work Station and she said they're getting a lot of rain and snow right now. The snow is at 2600' at the moment. For those of you that know the place this means there is measurable snow on Potato Hill [IMG] That does not bode well for our ride. If it stops raining/snowing right now (the coldest part of the storm is supposed to be right now so maybe there will be no more snow) things could be fantastic. As it is, NOAA is predicting quite a bit of rain between now and next week. I am fine with the rain, and the trails really do handle it pretty well there, but if the snow if closing off half the trails available to us, it might not be such a great experience for those that are driving a long way to get here. Just something to think about. If the area gets 2" of rain or more in a 24-hour period the trails (and our campground) will be closed for the following 48 hours. If there is no measurable precipitation in those 48 hours the trails will open back up again. However, if there is measurable precipitation within that 48 hour window the trails will be closed for another 48 hours. I will keep an eye on the situation and will let y'all know what's going on as soon as I know. Eric and I wanted to go up there this weekend to keep an eye on the trails but with non-stop rain and snow in the forecast we decided to stay home and prepare for next weekend's ride [IMG]
  12. Srad600 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '04 TC450 Plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    '96 XR650L SUMO, '11 KTM 990ADV
    Ahh, aside from all the rain and possibly closed trails, this ride looks like too much fun! My bike developed an electrical fault while I was in Baja and I'm still trying to rectify the problem (no spark :banghead:). Depending on any possible rain delays, I still might make the ride though. :thinking:
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, neighbor! Would love to ride with you next weekend! If you can't figure out the no-spark thing drop me a PM (oops...it's called "start a conversation" on this software we're using[IMG]) and maybe Eric can look at it for you.
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, things aren't looking so good...[IMG]

I just called the recorded OHV information line for the Upper Lake Ranger District of the Mendocino Nat'l Forest (where the Middle Creek riding area is) and it says that all trails are closed due to +2" of rain from this recent storm. Unfortunately the Grindstone Ranger District, just to the east where the Stonyford trails are, doesn't have a recorded message to call. I will call them later today and try to get some concrete information.

Keep your fingers crossed, boys and girls!
  15. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    I'm not going to make it so I wrote a Haiku explaining my situation.

Our house has no roof
    Un-inhabitable, Condemned
    Land lord is a fool.

I'll spend the extra time packing my wet, soggy life into a box and looking for a new crib.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see you'll next time.

Bryan.
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    a divorce.....been gone almost every weekend this year.....would love to come up and ride "up there". just back from another thrashing in Tecate and need a break or will have another ex!!.
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok. That's it. If Bryan ain't comin' then neither am I [IMG]

[IMG] Bummed to hear about the roof, but happy to have Haiku here on CafeHusky [IMG] I had you pegged as a poet from a mile away [IMG]

On a serious note, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to postpone this ride. I personally enjoy riding in the rain and/or sloppy conditions. However, I know that most people don't, and it doesn't exactly lend itself to fun camping conditions, either. And with half the trails under snow (the better half, I might add...) I'm just thinking postponement is the way to go. The ranger station said the trails were still open when I called this afternoon, but she also said "they may as well be closed, what with half of it under snow."

I'd like to hear from the riders that had planned to come to this ride. Please speak up soon and let me know what you are thinking.

Thanks!
  18. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm in if your in!
    I can see if the weather will be crap, maybe reschedule for the 10th of April?
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the quick reply, Daniel! The first available weekend for the group campground is May 13,14,15. I'd rather take our chances with Davis Flat and ride in the end of April, maybe. I don't think the snow will be gone by April 10th, judging from what we saw last weekend and from what the rangers are saying.
  20. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds cool. I have two OTHG events in April 3rd & 17th. The end of April would be great. I have a friend who wants to get into dirt bikin' and I might bring him too.