1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New look with the IMS Tank 2

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskyDude, Sep 6, 2008.

1. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

You guys should see our PNW Husky's! Greg...Russ...Jake...Brian...Me (David)...Tom...Kelly (when he had a Husky) let's just say they look like they've been ridden good and hard!
  2. Bernie Husqvarna
    B Class

when I look at the pics of your bikes I am also wondering where are you riding the Huskys. Mine is just some weeks old but you guys may think it is several years old already. :D

but the work you have done folks looks impressive
  3. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

those pics are of Glangston's bike, I posted them from his link for him.

here is one of mine from last fall and this winter... 6250 miles and ~230 hours after
    one ride this spring.. Valve lash still in spec.

Have a 1100 mile 3 1/2 day ride coming
    up in the UP of MI code named CannonTrek. The last several rides have been publicized on
    Adventure Rider. Should be one other 08 TE510 and 08 TE610 to join my TE510 and represent
    the Husky line with a total of 19 riders for the event.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. fencelizard Husqvarna
    AA Class

How's it Hangin?

Hey Husky Dude,
    How are the covers holding up? I just got an 09 and ordered my IMS. It should be here in a week or 2 and I wan't to try this mod. I want to make sure goop is holding up.
    Thanks
    Fencelizard
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Tanks and covers are pretty scratched up but no signs of separation:thumbsup:.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the little 125...if IMS is gonna make a tank for that one too.

I would do the same again in a flash. :busted:
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    George looked at it and thought it might not survive trees very well or even some big bushes. He thought it would be better to epoxy it. Mostly you need to get the leading edge solid.
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Looks the same as the day I installed them.
    Do what you like. Goop worked for me.:D

[IMG]
  8. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    That's what I'm considering, using Goop ....just gotta get a few more clamps.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I have reason to remove mine (used the 3M tape) I'll definately try the goop.

I've found that the 3M product does not like getting continually spashed with gas from my frequent bush refuelings when using the Acerbis spare tank and lack of funnel.
  10. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you use GOOP, how easy is it to remove the shrouds later? I was thinking that I might accidently crack or break one and have to replace it. I would hate to have a broken shroud stuck on my IMS tank and not be able to remove it.

David
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Whatever you do - do not use 3M 5200. They use that to glue 10,000 lb keels on sail boats and it does a really good job.

:eek:
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :thinking::thinking:

I'm not sure if the Goop would put up with that either. Honestly I've haven't spilt any on it. Would be interesting to see if it separates or not.

I have not tried to remove the shrouds with Goop either but I'm pretty sure it would come off with a little effort.:D
  13. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    SOLVENTS THAT DISSOLVE AMAZING GOOP® ADHESIVES
    The following lists common solvents that dissolve AMAZING GOOP® when hardened samples are immersed. The
    dissolution with these solvents is not instantaneous and therefore does not preclude usage in all cases. Applications
    where an occasional splash or brief exposure is expected may be acceptable. Test a small area before full use.
    Gasoline Cyclohexane Perchloroethylene 1,1,1-Trichloroethane
    Methylene chloride Chlorothane NU Chevron solvent 1100 Propyl acetate
    Toluene

It's still as good as any other idea so far, maybe better.

How much GOOP did you use? Comes in 1 oz.?
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Hey Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:
    Isn't the internet awesome.

Where ever it touched the tank I used full bead (sorta like full bead of tooth paste on your tooth brush).:D near the edges a little less. Might have to scrape a little off if it oozes out.
  15. mhambone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81ae420,87xc500,09wr250,09sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husabergs,Maicos,KTMs,BMW
    I had problems with GOOP not setting up fast enough. I pulled the clamps off after a day and it looked good. The next morning the front had pulled away about a quater of an inch on the left shroud. Since I was leaving for a trip the next day I just filled the gap with more GOOP. So just a reminder to anyone using GOOP, allow enough drying time. Other than that everything is looking good.

Attached Files:

16. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is relocating the front turn signals manditory when using the IMS tank? Looks like a interference when turning?
  17. jcarlson9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

seal all

I used the velcro from home depot,and it is already lifting up in some spots,dosn't look too good.I fond glue called seal all,gas and oil resistant,i'm gonna try it soon:thumbsup:
  18. mhambone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81ae420,87xc500,09wr250,09sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husabergs,Maicos,KTMs,BMW
    Only one of my blinkers hits alittle on full lock, I think it's the left one. I moves out of the way when it touches. I may move them some day. Not a real issue.
  19. krasht Husqvarna
    AA Class

2nd tank leaking

My second tank developed a leak the other day and after closer inspection I found that it cracked in exacly the same place as the first one. I contacted Jeff at Hall`s Cycles and he is sending me a replacement. Jeff suggested I try a black one instead of the natural because he has not seen many problems with the black. I am hoping this will be the last problem I have with IMS tanks, if not I may have to request a refund and wait for another manufacturer to come up with a tank.

Attached Files:

20. Vansmack Husqvarna
    AA Class

I asked IMS about that, they say it is the exact same plastic, it just gets black colored pellets of the same material added to it. He said the black and natural, or any other color, are all exactly the same plastic.

It's strange then that the two colored tanks seem to each crack in different specific places.