NW Gathering Round 3 - November 7-11 2012

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by oregonsage, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Booked the Comfort in Bend will be rolling in LATE friday....
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  3. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Oh goody... I am really unclear how much bench racing there will be after the sun goes down.. I am *seriously* not set up for camping below 25 degrees. Even 30 is a bit dodgy.

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 7.24.43 PM.png
  5. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    That all depends on how big the fire is!!!
    Coffee likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks cold. Rain and lite snow is good for the terrain there though.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I'm a bit excited about the forecast, but I've been in bed sick since Thursday. I think I must have been gargling broken glass in my sleep. I'll have to make the drive solo and don't know if I'll be up to it, much less riding when I get there. I have no issue camping in the cold, but I really really wish I felt better. I was supposed to take the 165 out this weekend and blow off the cobwebs (I've been goofing off on the 610 for months and haven't ridden the 165) but that ain't gonna happen. I haven't even been able to get my crap together for the trip. I've got some deciding to do... :(
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Sorry to here you got the crud WC. I just got over it a couple of weeks ago. Hope you snap out.

This forcast is what I have been afraid of for the last two+ weeks. The fall wet/cool came early here and it appears winter will follow suit.

I go over there several times during the winter when the temps get down in the low teens or less at night. After the trails are snowned/iced in at China Hat, I go to Millican Valley Plateau which is about 20 miles North and a thousand+ feet lower in elevation.
    Here is the current forcast for MVP:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.07574700247
    I'm not suggesting that we move the Gathering, but it is worth considering. The China Hat Trails would still be easily accessed, but the NMV would be warmer for camping and bench racing, though firewood is harder to come by. Just a thought.
    TROFFER88 likes this.
  9. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks much better weather wise
  10. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Just throwing this out there...I currently have three spots open in the enclosed trailer if anyone from the Salem area needs a haul.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Link did not work for me, and since I really don't know where the exact location you are discussing, I cannot bring up the weather for it.

While we could change locations, it would probably be fairly confusing at this late date, and would probably result in people camping in 2 different areas. I am quite sure there are several who may not look at this thread again but are planning to go.

In any event, I just booked Wed through Sat nights in a hotel in Bend, so I am not even bothering to bring my camping gear.
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Good or bad weather, I am sure it will still be fun. I have a problem coming this year. I am all set with a couple of buddies going in a motorhome. Unfortunately, my mother suffered a broken hip this summer and it has been a real struggle. Two complete operations and many complications at the age of 84. She had been at home but on Tuesday, I had to have her ambulanced to the hospital with some severe pain/confusion complications. I had assumed that she would be in 24 hour care for the forseable future. Enter a new doc and pain relief strategy and I believe she will be coming home later this week. What a turn around. I am the only care giver so I will be unable to attend if this schedule holds true. I am happy for my mom but sad that I will miss this event.
  13. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sorry to hear about that Walt.. Hope things get better for you and your Mom.... Talk to you tomorrow night...
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Here is a copy of the forcast and a fixed link for MV:

• Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 44. Calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 7 mph in the evening.
    • Monday Sunny, with a high near 68. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the morning.
    • Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph after midnight.
    • Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 68. South wind 5 to 7 mph.
    • Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Northwest wind around 8 mph becoming south in the evening.
    • Wednesday A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.
    • Wednesday Night A slight chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
    • Thursday A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.
    • Thursday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
    • Friday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
    • Friday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
    • Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 40.
    • Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
    • Veterans Day Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...625&site=pdt&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=tex

I wish you all the best Walt. With a Mom as tough as yours, I'm sure you will have many many more Gatherings to attend.
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your Mom, Walt. It is a bummer that you'll miss the event...I was really looking forward to seeing you...but it's good that your mom will be home where she belongs, and probably where she feels most comfortable. Nothing's more important than family. We'll catch you next year, or maybe this winter again :thumbsup: Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.
    ray_ray likes this.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Walt! You will be missed by many, but like others have said, Family is #1. Good on you for taking care of her. God knows we all owe it to our parents! Without them.... well you know the rest!
    ray_ray and Coffee like this.
  17. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Oh crap, gonna be cold.

Oh crap, Wallybean ya gotta take care of bidness...Family first, man. Count yourself lucky to have a family to put first.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Thanks everyone! I want reports and picks.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You will be missed Walt. You too WC. I bet we loose a few more. Might be a smaller on this year. Need to do it in better weather next year and maybe somewhere different. Northern Cali to get more Cali peeps?

Weather looks pretty good at this point. Will be staying in Bend in hotel with friends Fri-Sun
  20. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

you at the Comfort Inn ?