OEM master link failure

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by robertaccio, Aug 10, 2008.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    nothing big,, but my first chain failure in forever,,,master link disappeared and i thought i blew my tranny!! no real damage except the lower roller bracket is bent, can be wedged back into place. will replace chain with a RK, DID or my prefferred Regina. I will check hours , its been thrashed to be sure. always service my chain with attention to detail
  2. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry about your luck. But since this has happened, is there a consensus on the best chain available?? Or are all the top brands pretty well equal?
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Check and see if your chain guide is bent. The only times I have ever had chain issues are when the rear guide got bent and eventually rubbed the clip on the master link down.
  4. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

The clip might not have been fully closed.

It happens.... hopefully you had an extra one.

BlipBlip!:(
  5. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    +1
  6. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

why do you use a master link? surely most people use the riveted link? carry a master as a spare maybe if something happens for in the field repair maybe? most of the chains i see pretty much always say only to use the riveted one.. strange especially on bikes like singles that really chug the chain :confused: maybe its just me
  7. oldenuff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Master link failure

My 08 TE610 came with a masterlink,which the clip broke in half while cleaning it with a brush. The clip is only about half as thick as the other ones I found, so I riveted mine.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    no guys it was all good,,,, BRP chain guide installed,,hit a bunch of rock sections prior,,,and we were hitting it hard today. just inspected and lubed day before. its just one of those trail deals. it was an fyi thing,,my butt bag always has a spare link,,,but my chain is a little twisted and i will install a new one RK,DID,regina there are many good ones out there,,the oem on my 06 was a did if i remember right this one is a orm or something like that,,some sub contractor brand.
  9. HuskyD Husqvarna
    B Class

I had my first chain breakage issue last month in Colorado coming down a forest road. Chain wedged up pretty tight, it took a large rock and a screwdriver to get it unwedged! Lucky for me a friend had a master link!

I will be giving Kelly a call for new sprokets and chain. I thought it might be a good time to change the sprokets too.
  10. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 08s come with a CZ chain which is considered a decent chain in Europe.

Generally, you need a connecting link that is the same as the rest of the chain. ie. Regina connector link only with a Regina chain.
  11. I dont know if it is the stock chain slider or the BRP guide but it seems like the chain gets worn way too fast on my husky. I wish someone made a slider/guide like the TMDesignworks stuff for our bikes. The masterlink clip on my bike wears really fast, it seems like I need to replace it every couple of months.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think the folding one works better than the MX type that always get bent and rub the chain / sprocket. The folding ones also have more room for the chain so as not to wear out the side links.

- Everyone knows to put the clip on with the open end opposite the chain rotation right? Keeps the guide from knocking the clip off.
  13. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

still confused that they arent riveted ? or is there a reason for using the master link?
  14. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know I'm going against a lot of established dogma, here, but I remove the chain to lube it every time I change the oil, and I reuse the original master link and clip. I'm going to nurse the chain and sprockets to the end of the riding season and change everything at once. However, no problems so far. I just don't understand how taking a master link off a chain once renders it unsafe to use again. :confused:
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Because the removal and re installation stretches the clip making it less tight.
  16. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

So why don't we replace just the clip? Are they available to buy?
  17. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

WOW I never touch my chain other than WD40-ing it and adjusting it.

Hmmmm..... maybe I'll look at the clip the next time I ride it?

And then again.... Maybe not..... I never had a problem with a master clip in all the years I ridden.

Then again.... I always have a spare masterlink in the old bumbag!

blipBlip!:confused:
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    As long as you don't let to go to long and look it over every few rides you should have no issues. I have never had a chain related issue on any bike in 30 years of riding. But shit happens and there is always a possibility.
  19. rajobigguy Administrator

Just a thought but if the master link is installed with the open end facing the direction of chain travel it can get snaged on trail trash that got picked up and lodged in the chain guide. That can pop it loose, I've seen it happen.
    Always install the closed end on the leading egde of the chain.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great post (see post #12). :D