1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Opinions on potential '92 WXC 360 purchase

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Dauer, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '89 Yamaha TDR250, '01 ATK 605
    Hi guys, let me first say that although I have not posted much I often search this site and find the information very helpful, so thank you. I have the opportunity to buy a '92 WXC 360 at a very fair price and wanted some advice, opinions, testimonials. The bike in question is in great shape with recent Wossner top-end, brakes, chain, sprockets, fork seals, etc. Problem is it needs a new stator according to the owner and he is looking to just sell to put money into his other bikes.
    I have done some research and know it's not uncommon for these bikes to have ignition / electrical issues surrounding the coil, stator, and kill switch. My only real concern is the fact that the '92 is unique regarding the ignition compared to the '93+ bikes therefore parts availability may be limited. I have some parts inquiries pending but have yet to get a firm answer. Is the parts availability for these dwindling or am I just not looking hard enough? Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Wyatt
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    well, its all or nothing my friend. these are durable bikes. plastic is available thru dc and most everything else is as well. as far as the stator goes, i would avoid the original motoplat, as its a mini 4, not the common mini 6 i believe. should be able to upgrade to the newer kokusan or a altogether new electrex.
    also i believe these are among the best looking hoosks made. i see you already have a husky, so you are not the casual passerby. the 360 is a great powerplant and very flexible with very little vibration considering its torque.
    is it possible to post a pic? i say go for it but then again i just spent parts of a year doing damn near a full resto on my 360. its a sweet machine now and im not getting rid of it anytime soon. mines a 95
    Photo415.jpg
    Photo379.jpg
    juicypips and Norman Foley like this.
  3. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's great info, thank you. I've come to the realization that these are great bikes and I want one, I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow and try to arrange a time to meet. Upgrading to the newer stator would be preferable but I have look into what it will take in order to retrofit. If anyone has experience with this, advice would be greatly appreciated?
    Sadly I sold my WR400 because it was just too far gone and I didn't have the time or space to give it the love it needed. I am however the proud owner of a '84 Yamaha RZ350, she's no concourse winner but a damn clean rider...love that bike. That being said I have a soft spot for 2-strokes and have a decent understanding of what owning one entails, mainly never having to adjust valves!
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    a bike that is truly thrashed is obviously no good but for parts but if you do not intend on "flipping" the bike, it is a good bike to choose as a money pit. the chassis bearings are all available from all balls or nos, many things are still available from halls. carbs are available from lectron ;)
    let me clarify the good looking part, that is about your 92. i dont feel my 95 falls into that. the 92 and 93 are my favorite as far as the italian 2 strokes go.
    i would love to have a yammie rd 350 or 400.
    there will be some other 360 nuts along to help out
  5. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    first off i love my 93 very much, as stated above amazing torque
    that said parts are a little scarce yes
    the original ignition is most likely replaced, to go to a Kukusan you will need the crank part for the mag
    there are aftermarket ignitions and i had one on my 92 as well as an UpTite pipe, the exhaust on a stock 92 is different from the 93 on till 2002
    it might have a newer cylinder and they perform quite differently, 92 has wider power band to say the least slightly pipeyer than my 93, but great power and would loft the front wheel as it came on the power
    the 93 on had the kicks stand mounted on the frame and worked better (could be mounted with welding)
    if you send some pics i (we, i could identify it better)
    you won't be disappointed with it either way a great ride
    in the picture of my 93i put a 2000 from fender and 99 rear fender for some color (i think it looks better)

IMG_2220.JPG
    justintendo, juicypips and Motosportz like this.
  6. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    i had a similar issue with my 1993 WR125 as its the old style engine (ignition on the right hand side) and i bought a complete replacement unit (stator, cdi, coil magneto) of www.HPI.be which was a straight forward job. Since then the bike starts brilliant and runs like a dream- also the lightning coil is a upgraded one.
    paid 230€ for it.
    I recently purchased a few other parts of HPI and they are all great quality.
    I m not 100% sure- but it seem like elektrex is using HPI units...
  7. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for all the great information guys. If the sellers description is accurate the bike is far from a heap and I definitely do not plan on flipping it. Upon doing some research I did see the HPI ignition as an option, it seemed very complete and straight forward. Just trying to get a handle on how much of an initial investment I'll have to put into it upon purchase. Here is a link to the c-list ad, admittedly the description and grammar leaves much to be desired but I spoke at length with the poster and he was knowledgeable and friendly. I'm trusting fellow board members will not swoop in and snatch this bike up before I get a chance ;) http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/4876321270.html
  8. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    looks good
    has what looks like an aftermarket pipe and a skid plate
    if you buy it, been working on a seat cover for mine, have an original still in the package and trying to copy it
    the lettering on the side is where i hit a wall
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    $800, go get that!
    Miezie666 likes this.
  11. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, according to the seller it has an FMF gnarly pipe on it. The pictures aren't the best but as stated before I spoke with the seller at length a few days ago and it seems to be in good shape, lack of spark not withstanding. I would've jumped on it last weekend but I was away and now that I've discussed the subject with you guys I really want it. Put a call into the seller and am waiting to hear back, fingers crossed the bad weather has kept others away.
    I've also seen the one listed in NC, my girlfriend is from Asheville and we visit there regularly so I occasionally search the surrounding area.
    Also got a quote from Hall's for a PVL ignition which seems like a decent option albeit a little more costly than expecting. I'll keep you guys posted.
  12. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Had: 78 390 Auto, 83 cr250 84 cr250
    $800, good find. Looks good.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    go get that thing already, judging by the stickers, im betting it doesnt have much time on it. wouldnt be surprised if it just needs a plug cap or kill switch.
  14. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm trying, believe me I am. Unfortunately the seller has not responded to my inquiries which is a bit curious because he was very receptive last I spoke to him. Feeling a bit deflated at the moment but you never know what's transpiring on the other end. I asked him to let me know either way and I will let you guys know the same. Here's to hoping. Thanks for all the advice and info.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    its also important to not get too high on a particular machine, altho that one looks good. there are others around, there was a very nice like 360 for sale around minneapolis for a lil over a grand that was turnkey. it was very freaking clean.
  16. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    You make a valid point. I think I'm just a little frustrated with the complete lack of response at this point, that's Craigslist for you. Unfortunately it seems the big bore bikes do not come up too often in the northeast and I don't want to get one of those orange colored bikes. Haven't completely given up hope quite yet. Keep ya'll posted.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i 1000 percent feel your pain. husky fever is nasty and that one looks good. best of luck and keep us posted..
  18. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    Gentlemen- i ve got an explanation:

"pathogens: Husqvarnavirus disease:

Crohn Husqvarniensis infection :

Duch is transmitted via airstream drops from a driver of a Husqvarna motorcycle. As the models are highly infectious built before about 1989 known ( infection rate 100 %) , according to the latest drivers but also later series affected.

Symptoms :

In the early stages of the disease increased urge to ride a Husqvarna is observed. After a few months of use, the desire to have a lot more Husqvarnas , striking the willingness , even under lunatic effort to build the most hopeless pile of junk again. Furthermore, the person begins to hoard loads of spare parts , whether just needed or not. This often results in the development of other/even more vehicles , so typical of the late stage extensive vehicle collections arise. The observed that by restoring and driving Husqvarna positive impact on the mental and physical condition of the person concerned indicates a kind of symbiosis between the virus and the diseased.

therapy:

No cure is possible. Exchange of information and spare parts and vehicle trade within self-help groups can alleviate the financial impact of the disease for those affected.

Prevention / vaccination :
    Avoid initial contact with Husqvarna motorcycles. Vaccination with Japanese or Austrian commodity have proved completely ineffective , even high-dose Maico administration ( MC490 ) results in only weak resistance."

Please note i just translated this from a german Husky Chat.

It must be written down by a Doc ;-)
  19. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    On a positive note I've had some correspondence with the seller finally and I'm headed down first thing Saturday to take a gander. The one thing I'm wary about is buying a bike I can't hear run. Easy enough to tell if its got compression but any bearing or bottom end noise is a different story. I know these motors are durable but its still a bit of a gamble.
    Given their long run, if I should need to rebuild the crank or replace any bearings, I shouldn't have trouble sourcing those parts, correct?
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    rod and/or rod bearing would be the only part id be scared of. everything else can be found somewhat easily. even the rods can be found new apparently thru cross reference..
    check the kicker tho. see how it feels as they can get abused easily from people hammering on them and they begin "skipping" or "stripping". see if the bike does it and haggle him lower if its the case. seeing how that bike has the original graphics still im betting its low miles and unless some clown held it pinned with straight gas in it it probably looks new inside. you never know i guess..at that price, it would still be worth it in parts worst case scenario