PNW Husky event. Bend, OR. Oct. 15-16, 2010

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by PC., Aug 9, 2010.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Probably better if this thread focuses on the event itself, rather than the various definitions of what different states viewpoints are on various matters such as what is an atv/offroad vehicle.

That subject could easily cause this thread to get really long, and make it difficult to keep up on who is going and other details.

I should not have brought it up I suppose, but did want to clarify that a $10 sticker will be needed, even with a license plate.
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Would be useful noted in the first post.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I just updated it as clearly as I could. :)
  4. ken510 Husqvarna
    A Class

We have anywhere from four to eight of us making the trip South. Really looking forward to it! Maybe sometime in the near future, someone could set a meet and greet / ride time out of camp for Saturday. We will be staying in Bend and driving in for the ride on Saturday AM. We plan to do a Friday afternoon ride as well. Good times ahead I do believe.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Could I invite someone from WA state? He has a bike, not sure what brand, have not talked to him in a while.
  6. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Absolutely .....:thumbsup: We are letting Kelly come and he is from WA :D

WA is even part of the Pacific NorthWest, but I think we have already established that everyone is welcome from far and wide .. it is a public riding area and any friend of a Husky rider is a friend of ours.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'll make some calls this coming week... :)
  8. ken510 Husqvarna
    A Class

Will a trials tire work well where we are headed, or should I change over to a knob? I have no clue of what to expect. I've seen a few videos of the area and it looks a little faster and more open than what I'm used to.
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    A trials tire will work fine.
    Looks like I will be able to go. Should be too much fun!

One thing I thought I'd mention is bring some extra warm duds just in case.
    Not this week but last Monday, I rode the 30 trail around and back on the 40 trail, with a few detours. It's about 70 miles around and at about 30 miles, it started snowing. It started sticking to the point of making it hard to see. I had Klim Mohab pants and a light jacket with mesh liner and gloves to match. COLD! My sweat shirt must have weighed 12 pounds.
    I"m not sure if I've been that cold before. Then to top it off the furnace in the camper wouldn't light, so I ended up driving (5hrs) back that night.

Usually keeping cool is the objective in August and that is how it was the day before.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you fine folks.
    Steve
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Just got back from the hospital with a broken fib. Not cool at all!!!
    The WR got some battle scars too and is in need of attention.

Not sure of my status until seeing the ortho, but I'm guessing I wont be riding in 5 weeks. I'd still like to come and hang out though. Gotta play this by ear.
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Well, crap!! I'm bummed to hear this, PC :(

What happened?

WoodsChick
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    OK that sux. What happened?
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have found that a fleece and water proof shell is a great setup. Can remove and pack it small and will really keep you warm and dry in nasty weather. With these two items you can go from 65 and sunny to cold and rainy and be good. :thumbsup: Fleece does not hold water and keeps you warm even when wet.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No problem :thumbsup:
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    7pm, sun going down fast and trying to get back to the truck ASAP @ Lyda camp. We jumped on Archers and began burning miles until I hit an embedded rock section at the top of a climb, got bucked hard and landed sideways on the downside. Bike lowsided hard onto my left leg and broke the bone through my boots and knee/shin guards and then drug me about 20ft til we stopped. I was in 3rd gear, I think.

Got the bike ride-able, reluctantly mounted it and rode back to the truck at a snails pace shifting with my hand.

Have some other issues, but the leg is the worst of it for sure. Thanks for the words and such!
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sorry to hear it bro, heal fast. There is no reson your WR300 should not go to Bend so I'll pick it up for you. :D
  17. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

depends on your riding style. if you like to slide around corners all aggro-like, a knob will work better, but there's certainly nothing wrong with trail-riding a trials tire if that's what you have on the bike. I even ride my trials tire in the desert sometimes (omg!!) when i'm too lazy to change and I need to test something on that bike.

:doh:
    seriously? are you like 75 or something? I wouldn't expect you to be racing baja in 5 weeks, but surely you can ride around EFR with a broken fib. My compound femur fracture only kept me off the dirt for 7 weeks. c'mon, don't be a pansy..... :busted:
  18. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Well hell...I dunno. If my knee and ankle check out okay then I guess 5 weeks is plenty of time as this isn't a weight bearing bone.

At 1am last night I was buzzing on percocet, picking rocks out of my flesh and very happy I wasn't spending the night in the forest all broken up. Riding wasn't too high on my priority list!
    Its starting to climb though.
  19. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

good times. We rode 180 or so miles of pretty challenging idaho singletrack over the long weekend, and on monday, on a little go-around where part of the road washed out, I slid and then high-sided viciously at 25mph or so, ending up with scratches from the curb on my goggles, sore wrists and stuff. etc... ouch.

But I'm already getting psyched to ride this weekend. woohoo.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I did 345 miles last weekend and smashed my hand pretty good in a stupid get off. Swelling is down and I'm off for more EPIC riding this weekend. Can't let this stuff slow you down. :D