PNW Husky event. Bend, OR. Oct. 15-16, 2010

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by PC., Aug 9, 2010.

1. BrandonR Husqvarna
    A Class

2. wachs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS, KTM 500 EXC
    Camping? yes!
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrandonR
    http://utterlyboring.com/archives/vi...n_OR_FINAL.swf
    That was so disturbing but accurate I don't know what to type....

I am concerned about the people who made and posted it ..... and about Brandon because he found it :-)
  5. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    That makes me want to move there.
  6. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    You and thousands of others. The population of Bend went from 15k to 80k in about 15 years following the last big recession in the early 80s. Bend has once again been hit extra hard by the current recession but due to its highly livable environment it is likely to grow like crazy again in about 5 years...
  7. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    There are so many places like that I would enjoy living (used to live in Whistler, BC and loved it) but whenever I think about that it always come back to what would I do for work. It always appears to me that towns like that are 100% service based economies. Not much work for a programmer in small towns, companies have recently figured out that if you are going to pay someone to not be in your office they might as well be in india making $10/hour. Telecommuting is not nearly as hot in my profession as it once was.
  8. BrandonR Husqvarna
    A Class

I remember when it came out, my Google-fu is strong.. It was actually paid for by the Bend visitors bureau and was a big controversy. I think it's hilarious and pretty damn accurate based on the time I've spent in Bend.
  9. Brian Husqvarna
    AA Class

I love bend! Never done any riding there. Going to be a fun gathering I'm sure. I'm jealous.
  10. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

So the OHV stiker issue. If plated out of state (CA) you need an OR OHV sticker? Just want to be sure. Also can they be purchased when there or should it be done before through OR DMV? THX

Not sure if I will be going, but if so I like to have everything done before I hit the road
  11. dcal Husqvarna
    A Class

sounds like they honor out of state tabs but you can you can get the oregon ones at the store if you want to. is that right?
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Highway plates of any kind do not substitute for OHV stickers in Oregon. You need an Oregon OHV sticker, or one from a reciprocating state to ride in the area we are going to.

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/reciprocity.shtml
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Any chance of you finding 2-4 places to buy those things near the meeting place, confirm they are still in business and selling them, a put a few locations in post #1, or even have that information in a stand alone post, and put a link to it in post #1?

The people coming from many miles away would probably feel better with that information.
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/permit_vendors.shtml#Bend

Here is the list provided by the state. Bend is closest coming from the north, LaPine from the south. I have no idea what hours these businesses run, but the bike shops have the typical Fri Sat hours and most of them are closed Mondays.

Of course if you are coming from out of state any dealer or agent inside Oregon along your way would work. You guys from Boise can stop in Ontario or Burns, for instance and grab your permits. Californians have options in Klamath Falls, etc.

We can also ask Bill from Bill's Husky if he would be able to sell stickers onsite since he is an authorized agent and he is planning to join us.

$10 for 2 years and the money funds the riding areas like the one we will be using.

And if all else fails.....

15. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So If I have an Idaho OHV sticker I should be good? I think Walt has an OHV sticker from MT...
  16. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like both Idaho and Montana are on the list ....

If it were me I would print a copy of that reciprocity webpage and stash it on my bike someplace.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I really don't want to take this too far off topic, but this is the first time (that I've noticed) that a motorcycle with a license plate had less freedom that on offroad bike with a sticker. :confused:

btw - in California an atv and motorcycle are 2 very different things.
  18. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

idaho also requires ohv stickers even for plated bikes, so if you are legal to ride in idaho, you are legal in oregon. California does NOT require an ohv sticker for a plated bike, so if you have a plated cali bike that does NOT have a green sticker, you'll have to get some kind of ohv sticker from somewhere.
  19. BrandonR Husqvarna
    A Class

No, an ORV with no plate cannot legally use the gravel roads that bisect the china hat area.

The whole Deschutes forest allows only street legal vehicles on the gravel forest roads for example. OHV areas require OHV tags, roads require plates. If you want to use both you have to have both. The ultimate in Oregon is a dual sport with a OHV permit, you can go just about anywhere.

For instance last fall I was there with a friend on a quad, he had a flat far out at the north end of the system, the best route back to camp was on a gravel road but technically he was riding illegally and could have been ticketed for limping back into camp on the flat.
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Right, but I'm simply not used to needing a sticker because here it is not needed (at least where I go), as motosapiens pointed out.