Power Commander III

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by fitness2go, Mar 3, 2009.

1. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I'm going to get one. Where did everyone buy their PC III? What kind of price? I found one for my 08 TE 450 on sale for $291.89 not including shipping at JCMotors.com and wondering if that's a good price or does someone know of a better price? I'm also looking at getting the mulit-function hub with EFI map switch (mild and wild). Where did you all install the PC III and hub (if you have that)? the Also, I know that many of you purchased your PC III's from FBF with their customized EFI maps and have had issues with it. So, I was curious if anyone has tried the EFI maps from DynoJet themselves?!?!

Has anyone utilized an authorized DynoJet PC center and does $190 sound ridiculous to get a customized map including fine tuning the accelerator pump feature. Many of you might have seen a post from Russ (Home Finance) about getting his bike dyno tuned with just the i-Beat software from JD Jetting. He has agreed to work on my bike as well, but I'm curious if it's necessary to do it before any Power Commander tuning or is it just better to set the TPS and zero out all the FB settings (100) back to stock?

TIA!

David
  2. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi David,

I have a PC-III on my '08 SM510R. $292 seems like a typical price but I suspect PC-III prices will drop now that the PC-V is coming out. In fact, I'd be interested in selling mine because the PC-V sounds so cool.

I have tried both the FBF and the Dynojet maps. They didn't work at all on my bike (with power-up) so I came up with my own map (originally based on Motorhead's own map, as I recall) that's only slightly different than stock so far, but plan to fiddle more with it when the riding season gets here, or get it dyno tuned, or get a PC-V.

Mine is sandwiched between the battery and the battery strap. It's not the official position recommended by Dynojet (on right side body panel) but I like it best where I put it.

$190 seems on the low side for a customized map. If you're going to get it dyno tuned, there really is no advantage to tuning with iBeat beforehand. The map will be perfect for your bike no matter the TPS and FB settings. It'd be nice to have everyone start from the same baseline so PC-III maps could be shared but Husky blew that by being so inconsistent in how they shipped bikes and in what they tell their dealers to do with iBeat.

Here's a link to one for $265.

http://www.tobefast.com/dynojet-power-te510-sm510-pr-1728546.html

Jon
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Boy, I don't know if I should even get started on this one but, I got mine from FBF and tried to run their map. That just made my bike run worse. I had to do my own thing for a while, but I just installed a map from DynoJet that's labeled for the "Euro" models with the "kit". From looking at the map it looks like it might work pretty good on my bike.

IMO, and I realize this will set a few of you off, but the i-Beat seems pretty useless compared to PCIII. The PCIII seems to be able to do about anything compared to the i-Beat.

I wouldn't have a problem paying someone $200 to tune my PCIII on a dyno, if they'll stand behind it. I paid a lot more for my PCIII than you can get one for now, thinking the FBF dynojet tuned map would be worth it. I'd been much better off getting one for the price your looking at then paying someone to tune "my" bike.

If this new map dosen't work any better, I'm seriously thinking about investing in the "hub" and a wideband commander to dial it in myself.
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I purchased my Power Commander from FBF. I have not installed it yet. I am going to zero out the TPS and set FB1 at 100% before I go to the tuner. This way I have a base line and know what it is set at. I can always hook it up to Ibeat and make sure the settings are correct in stead of taking it back to the dyno tuner.

The way I understand it, if the TPS goes out of Zero or for some reason the FB1 setting moves, the Power Commander is not going to be delivering a perfect mixture any longer. So it is either reset Ibeat or re dyno tune. Re setting the Ibeat will be much easier for me. I don't have to take it and leave it at the tuners, or mount a non knobbie tire on it for the dyno run.

As soon as I wear out the Teraflex on the back of my bike I am going to mount a street tire, hook up the power commander and head to the tuner. I will be sure to post the results when I do. :) Ken
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    BTW- There's a new PC V that is out for Harleys that is smaller and had a "auto tune" box that can be hooked to it. Hopefully it works and will be available for the Husky, soon.
  6. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

David,

I agree with your idea of calibrating the TPS and setting FB1 to 100%.

This way you know what the ECU conditions are when the map is made and in the possibility of comparing to other maps made with the same settings. When you install the TPS voltage tap connector for the PC, it would be a good time to measure and record the idle & wot voltage for future reference. The PC is going to have its own TPS calibration values that set 0 & 100% throttle.

I hope you can get some before and after dyno test graphs that you can post.
  7. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here are some of the benefits of the PC V over the PC III....straight from their website. They don't currently have the PC V for Husky, but do make and already have many retrofit units! I sent in an e-mail asking about making one for Husqvarna and will call them tomorrow!

"Fuel Moto offers Power Commander V Retrofit units for many pre-09 applications. Note that Dynojet does not offer maps or product support for PC V when used on pre-09 bikes, however Fuel Moto offers 100% product support on our Retrofit units including fuel maps and a 2 year warranty. Retrofit units will come pre-programmed and configured by our technical dept for your application, mapped for your specific mods and ready to install with specific instructions for your bike. We have a large database of PC V fuel maps which we support and this new module brings tuning to a whole new level. Benefits of the PC V over PC III USB are its smaller size, the ability to add the Auto Tune module for live tuning, and the expanded tuning features for advanced users. We have many applications tested and ready, and we will continue to add to the list of applicable Retrofit units as they become available for each model."

"Fuel Moto offers 100% product support on the new Dynojet Power Commander V. We will continue to build on our map database and we will have fuel maps for most popular combinations. For those of you with unique engine builds and exhaust setups, or are looking for live tuning the PC V will offer an additional Auto Tune module with wideband O2 sensor (dual sensors on Harley /V Twin models) which will allow you to tune in real time. We have already extensively tested this product, for more info contact us at 877-729-4754

NEW Power Commander V Basic Features List
    • Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
    • USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
    • 2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
    • Gear/Speed input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)
    • Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
    • With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).
    • Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes
    • 10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)
    • Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

Auto Tune for PCV (all models)
    • “Auto Tune” kit will be available that includes Wide Band O2 sensor(s) and control box(es). It will plug directly into the PCV and allow automatic fuel adjustments.
    • It can make a map for each gear and on a Harley Davidson models it can map each cylinder separately for each gear if needed. (basic settings would make one map for all gears)
    • Each map cell is individually adjustable so you can specify an exact AFR value for each area if needed."

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    ***Quite a difference between the two units!***
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    This unit looks like it would hook right up to the Mikuni FI.
    [IMG]
  9. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just spoke with DynoJet and they have absolutely no plans for a Husky PC V! So, I guess PC III! Where is the best place to mount it?
  10. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I did it and ordered up the PC III!
  11. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, James from JD Jetting has agreed to help me out with as many iterations as needed for a small fee! I have told him about my bike (2008 Husky TE 450 w/Rekluse) and how it coughs/dies in tight trails with roots, rocks and logs. My main concern is to activate and dial in the "accelerator pump feature" and get my Rekluse set-up bike to never stall...ever He has the i-Beat software and is going to make sure that my TPS is where it needs to be and put my FB settings back to 100 before hooking it up to the dyno with the PC III.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    We might have to do the PC V thing on our own, like FBF did with the PC III. That photo I posted is of a unit that's got the needed connectors to hook into our EFI.

I mounted mine on top of the battery, which is held by a giant zip-ty and put the PC III under the rubber band with some of the velcro attached to the battery.
  13. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm hoping that a professional run on the Dyno with the PC III will solve my problems and forget about the PC V! You're the 2nd person to suggest, by experience, on top of the battery...thanks!

David
  14. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I'm interested in what your hp and torque numbers are real world.
  15. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh, you know I will!
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I tried the map PJ has on their site that are fro "Euro" 510's with the sparky out. Didn't run worth a crap, but it runs pretty good with the sparky in. Go figure.

I think the bike is weak overall with the sparky in, but it did run pretty smooth on a DS type ride. I've had a lot more problems with dieing with the sparky in during racing conditions, but this might work OK. I'll just have to try it.

There was a big bog when you'd twist the throttle with the sparky out even with some AC pump turned on and it wouldn't stay running at all. Popping, dieing, bogging and flat in the top half of the throttle.
  17. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think I made some progress today. It was a pain to keep pulling the PC, but I think I may have some that will work for racing.

Between the map, "0" reference in the PC and the throttle plate stop screw, I think I've got it running the best yet.

Idle is a little high for street riding, but it's passable @ 2050rpm.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, it's running WAY better now. Best to date, and it has yet to "fart and die". Response is really good and I've been pulling some 1/4 mile wheels as I go through the gears. Sweat. :applause:
  19. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds promising! Keep up the good work. I just dropped my bike off with the PC finally hooked up. I took it for brief zip around town with my SUMO wheels and the PC map that they have online with the Accelerator Pump activated and the bike seemed much better. I was trying all the usual stuff (hard/fast on and off and on and off again throttle in a gear high & low) to stall my bike, but it wouldn't. Anyway, I'm very excited to have James put the bike on his Dyno set-up and really clean it up! His garage is very nice! He even has a cool loop on his property. which is in highly populated neighborhood...nobody notices or cares!
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Interesting stuff David, look forward to what JD can do. :thumbsup: