1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Rebuild a pancake pipe?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jaxsplatt, Jun 22, 2015.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    both of mine are in contact with the front of the frame, but still serviceable. when an opening occurs I will cycle one in for repair, its not a must do unless its way smashed in. Use best judgement or better yet secure pipe sponsorship!!
    ray_ray and NCSteve like this.
  2. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I always try to have 2 pipes for my 2 strokes. When one gets mashed I pop the other one on, undent the mashed one. Then when the other one is pancaked, I rotate them out, rinse, repeat. Kinda like having extra air filters, I always try to have one ready to install. And depending on where I'm riding and for how long, like a long weekend of riding, I'll bring my extra pipe along. Seems like we mangle pipes up here pretty regularly.
    NCSteve likes this.
  3. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I live in the Seattle area and take my smashed and bent pipes to Gary Turner in Lynnwood. $40 per pipe. No tax. Quick turnaround. Give him a call. He's an old retired dirt biker that does pipe repair on the side at his home. Nice guy and does good work. 425.774.3082.
  4. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    I wanna learn the art of getting a well abused pipe back into shape as both my 2 boys are trail riding with me on there 85's and starting to hit the gnarly stuff and my 2 younger girls will be right on there tails( or mine) sooner than my wallet can afford it.
    Damn it shoulda got them into motorcross as they only bend there new graphics on there freshly groomed dirt,
    Not banging bars on big blue gums, dropping into gullies and rock climbing up the other side!
    Maaaaan I need to get these bikes rebuilt and hit the trails....
    I'm on like withdrawals....
    Anyone no the 2 stroke clinics number?
    I gotta book in!
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    I will take them problem machines off your hands and prescribe some little tic tak shaped pills for soothing therapy.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    talked to my doctor and he gave me the cure.
    said to fire up the line trimmer with my bikes fuel. that usually does the trick. a splash of klotz in with the mower helps too!
  7. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    So my mate had to go away with work so the pipe can't be done till next wkend.
    Gives me time to put the inner clutch cover back on.. Bloody power valve sprocket is giving me grief trying to line it all back up.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buy some bungs and be set forever!
    Heck its not rocket science!
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    still waiting for the vid :popcorn:
  10. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
  11. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    I've repaired my pipes for years now and actually buying the proper fittings goes a long way but it can be difficult trying to revive some dents especially close to the header area. The fittings is similar to this http://www.mino.nl/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Pipe_repair_kit__54fdf53f993ee.png

My method to blowing dents out is:
    # Have a tyre gauge that can deflate and stay connected to the tyre valve whilst connected to a compressor - you need to monitor and control/deflate the pressure.
    # Attach the fittings and if your using homemade jobbies makes sure lock wiring the fittings to say a hose clamp especially at the stinger end.
    # Pump 20psi and perform a leak down test, you shouldn't loose a psi in 5-10 minutes, if it does then you'll need to mindful of the pressure loss rate.
    # Need a map gas, propane won't get hot enough unless you live in the desert and can keep the metal hot.
    # Pump to 20psi, and work the dent in circular motion, working outside in getting the dent red hot.
    # Keep an eye on the pressure gauge - My first attempt l put too much air (80psi) and saw 150 odd psi before l split the seam where l was heating.
    # The dent should slowly rise, if it doesn't add 1-2 psi at a time keeping heat and watching it rise slowly - never feed air @10psi at a time (see above)
    # Deep dents especially close to the header end, will require heating the middle first and working to the outer (again wait till it slowly rises).
    # To get a close to perfect surface, let the pipe cool down whilst keeping the pressure then reapply heat - constant heat around the problem will effectively weaken the metal and thin it out causing a blow through to a split.
    # Once finish, let the pipe cool down natural before using scotchbrite to add the shine back on.

All these vids that state pump 40-60 psi is a precursor to splitting your pipe as the pressure will rise faster and if you can't control the the rate that the dent rises, you can split the pipe or worse, burst fittings and the pipe - patience rather than quick fix.

You can use the freezer method as well but you bloody better have a big freezer and incorrectly filling the pipe with too much water will burst the pipe faster than the heat method. Also, you can use dry ice as well as it will make the steel contract quickly and then relax itself back into shape.

DISCLAIMER: If you chose to repair your pipe using heat, please wear appropriate safety gear (l use a welding masking and leather apron) and l won't be liable if you cause injury to yourself, equipment or others.
    ray_ray and NCSteve like this.
  12. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good thread and advise on dent poping.
  14. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    what about bends near header section. my stockers not really dented just flattened somewhat & a bit creased at first bend. wanna fix it for me OMG for beer $?
  15. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    F#$% no, fix it yaself ya lazy bastard (that's Aussie banter for the rest of you)...now on the serious side, unfortunately my gnarly pipe suffers the same issue where the bend is flatten and slowly starts to wrap around almost touching the water pump pipe, a crease is very hard to pop out and there are some dents that you just can't pop out especially near the header/bend section....the answer is to stop dropping the bike on that side:p.

Once it flattens and then starts to wrap, my next bit of experimentation in trying to save my pipe was trying to heat the area and bend it back to it's original shape but all l did was succeeded in creating a box tube header, my only answer is to cut the pipe, do a bit of beating then tig it back on...hey at least it gets the factory look.

PS. OE pipes are a bit more painful as the pipes tend to be a bit more thicker then the aftermarket unit, therefore more heat required.
    ray_ray, juicypips and shawbagga like this.
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    youre as useless as tits on a bull to me then mate. :D shed ornament it is then

ps i didnt drop it was more of a frisbee throw at a rock ledge that gave me a dirty look. showed that mofo who was boss.
    juicypips and ohmygewd like this.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you sharwy for not blaming me lol
    Header bends are a freaking mare to get right.
    Yup keep it as a last resort spare.
  18. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    The ice method does work. I've used it on my 4T froze it 2 or 3 times an it took the small dents out. It might be a good idea to use it on the 2T to get started. But like was previously mentioned, you cannot use it too much on a 2T pipe. My buddy got greedy on his and tried to get a small bump out, so he froze it three or so times. Popped at the seem. BTW, welding at pipe back at a split seem is very tough unless you have a good MIG.
  19. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    Pretty bloody uneventful.... Pipes back to 98 Per cent straight and dent free. Used propane (lpg)for most of the dents and heated the header up and twisted it back to where is was supposed to be in the vice. Pulled out the oxy/ accept. When needing more heat. Made a bung with safety wire for tail pipe end with a pressure gauge attached and a metal cap with 2.5 mm drilled hole so it vented with out building too much pressure then keep it at about 30-40 psi. Dents raised nicely and creases we worked with the oxy accyt .only needed to twist header twice and fit up on the bike and She's on.
    Bottle of bourbon to my mate and a saving of about$300..
    Now looking at making up a cage pipe guard..
  20. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Onya Jax!!!.