Something new..coming soon from Husky

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by guscycle, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

no.
    nothing was decided yet, no date, no emission limits.
    bytheway, there are no "two-stroke emission laws". there are emission laws, period.

r
  2. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

All the guys who want DI better be careful for what they ask for. Sensors, fuel pumps, ECUs etc.. Way more stuff to break. Gone will be the days of working on your 2 stroke in your garage after supper. You will have to take it back to the dealer for everything.

All the issues that people are having with EFI 4Ts will start to appear on the 2Ts.

When DI comes out, I will buy a carbed bike and keep it for a long time.
    shawbagga, Vinduro and MOTORHEAD like this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    and pipes. Most two stroke guys i know have 3-4 pipes hanging from the ceilings.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    :( ....Changing pipes could re-tune your engine at a somewhat reasonable price ...
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Cars have been EFI for over a decade and these electrics are very solid and sorted out. Modern EFI is not that complicated nor does much stuff go wrong. Look at the threads now that EFI has been out for several years on bikes. Most have zero issues (other than tuning the crappy older Mikuni stuff) and almost all failures are fuel pumps or clogged injectors from crap gas. Have you ever seen the thread where the electronics went bad? IMHO EFI is good, not complicated voodoo and for me has been way less work (in fact i have done nothing but add a tuner to get more control which it did not "need") than trying to get a FRC carb out of the bike and rejetted and hope it works. Look at the hundreds of accelerator pumps mods, fuel bowls, leak jets, PV covers, JD needles, carb divider plates, fuel screws... it is endless and built an entire industry. EFI has tuners and you dont remove anything. Simple, works great and is VERY EZ to tune. Thanks how I see it.

huh? I have had three fuel injected bikes now. Never had an issue I could not fix myself. Never really had a issue. The Mikuni stuff kinda sucked but that was due to sloppy maps and fuel injector selection by the factory. The Keihn stuff works GREAT right out of the box. Can reset the TPS but unplugging the battery. I work on my TE511 myself, you know what never needs work? ...the EFI. the EFI is pretty simple, really more simple than a complex carb like the FCR. ECU to control it, fuel pump to deliver high pressure, injector, TSP. Whats the big deal? Also with electronic you can get iBeat or take it to your dealer and read the fault codes and have the problem diagnosed before you even set a wrench on the bike. Wish i could do that with a frustrating FCR carb.

I love how my TE511 runs and do not want to go back to wresting with a carb.

Also...

- No float heigh issues and overflowing gas when laid over (dangerous on a hot 4 stroke)
    - no need to turnt he gas on and off of off to lay the bike down for some quick trail work. I find this quit liberating
    - better mileage, much better in many cases. Means you packing less weight to go the same distance.
    - highly tune-able for pipes and motor mods
    - much improved throttle responce
    - consistency in how it runs
    - altitude compensating (more power less gas)
    - no need for overflow filters so our engine does not eat dust
    - better starting
    - no jets to clog up
    - much more tolerant to water int he fuel as it will push it through instead of sit in a jet
    - much better cold starting and running (it knows what it needs)

The list goes on and on for me. Now that I have spent most my life on carbs and now most everything is EFI I dont have any desire to go back. The EFI is making really fast progress for off road bikes and IMHO has far surpassed carbs, just like it did on cars.

My opinion / experiences only
    Tinken likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I meant smashed pipes :>)
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I was brought up on carbs .... and wont miss them.
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ask the snowmobile guys how many "issues" there are with DI sleds. I can tell you from experience that no one has them 100% sorted out. Dont forget sleds run at very steady rpms for long periods of time.

If I replaced 1 fuel pump in the last year, we replaced 25 so it is an issue. Bad fuel or not, it sure sucks sitting on the side of the trail with a bike that doesnt run.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Ah come on guys...if we can put a man on Mercury then we can figure this technology out(grin)
  10. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cars don't run in a lot of dirt and water like dirt bikes do.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    efi does work, sort of ... heres some reading on the subject ... .Seems to be re-occurring issues ... Probably caused by performance issues that cars are not subject to ... And what ever you wanna call the fuel pump sagas...

Next time you see an efi software developer, give him a big kiss ... He's the brains behind efi ... He's the controller, he's the answer and problem combined ... Not the hardware ... Believe me, that cold hard steel and plastic called efi does zero without the software driving it ...

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/efi-carb.72/

And I guess, we always expect better stuff in the future, right?

Disclaimer: I'm just a poor dirt bike rider ... Don't need the space shuttle to ride on to make my ride ...
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Typical manufacturer of efi for snowmobiles? Keihin? Mikuni? other? (I've probably got the spelling wrong)
  13. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Most use Keihin Throttle Bodys. It is the mapping that causes issues. None of the manufacturers can seem to get the entire throttle range sorted out. I had a Polaris 800 that would go really lean at half throttle. Lean enough they would seize.

Dont forget sleds dont even run air filters so dust and dirt isnt an issue to them.
    Coffee likes this.
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm with Scotty on this one. There are still too many issues with dirt bike EFI for them to go DI on a two stroke. It's to big a jump from where we are now.

They need to get the 4t EFI to the auto industry level first, before they even think about 2t EFI or DI.

Like I said before, when Husky has DI bikes that are winning EWC races without issue I'll be ready to buy the technology. But, I'm not going to buy it now and try to develop it for them, while they race 4t. Prove to me it works before you try to sell it to me.

I bought an '08 EFI bike while the EWC team was racing carb bikes and I didn't finish a race for over a year. It was always something going wrong with the EFI to where the bike wouldn't run or would just barely run. And everyone I know with an EFI bike are still having EFI issues.

So, just give me my good old WR until you prove to me you have something better or I'll just switch to a brand that will.
    ray_ray and ScottyR like this.
  15. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    I don't have an opinion, just an observation. My team-mate has an Aprillia SVX450/550 and is constantly connecting up the computer to sort out mapping / TPS issues. My husky 530 with the FCR is just pull the choke in the morning and hit the starter. It pops on decel until its hot, but otherwise it's been a no-brainer. It's been set up on a dyno from day one and I just twist the throttle and it goes. The Ape on the other hand, when it's being temperamental, sputters, pops and bangs till the laptop is connected. Even then it's not 100%.
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, what he said. :thumbsup:
  17. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Even though SXV's don't have the best rep, I'd love to have one in the garage. Heck it'd be nice to even ride one lol
  18. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    I don't know why that is as my SV is injected and has never been tweaked. Maybe the dirty bike world is harder to set up for EFI and electronics.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Just compare the way a bike has to operate as compared to your 0-60MPH SUV ... You press the pedal slowly on the suv and hold it... let off... maybe press in down again an inch or so ...Probably a big 6 or eight cylinder and as long as it is not backfiring or whatever, it feels great running along at even paces ..

Now that bike, it is WFO, closed all the way, slammed open, slammed shut to different degrees, twisted just a little at varying points ... the bike is pulling up a hill, down a hill ... It has to work much much harder than a car ever has unless the car is being raced ... And even then, a bike still probably has the throttle opened and closed much more often than a car and the terrain a bike is being ridden in can be very difficult ...

The software driving this stuff on a bike is very complex to say the least I'd guess ... Here's the thing with software ..Once it is written, and yes it is buggy, it is almost always carried forward to the next version due to the high cost of re-writing the code AND the cost of re-testing the code... It becomes bloated to say the least... This can be a problem the end customer will never see or know about other than "my bike acts like crap in this situation" ...

So now, every version of a bike that is released, will have this software bird tied around its neck that the bike lives and dies off of ... The code can be written to a satisfactory level but it ain't the same as the CARB days ... And the beat goes on ... and the price goes up as software development on this level is not cheap.

And there is the emissions issue to deal with all along the way ...
  20. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    crazy fun bikes. i had a piped/tuned 550. most fun i've ever had on pavement. they do require a close eye though.