Spinning insert solution

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by bm36, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

If anyone is looking for E-Z Lok in this size.. E-Z Lok part number: 329-4 for 1/4-20 bolts..

Found some on Ebay in pack of 10: E-Z Loc Lot of 10 Thread Repair Inserts 329-4 New!
  2. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was lucky and found the correct metric size on Ebay (sorry I bought last set of 10)..

E-Z Lok part number: 450-6 for M6-1.0 bolts (~ same O.D. as 329-4 for 1/4-20 bolts)..
  3. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    so....have you installed them? How do they work? Any pictures?
  4. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

Does anyone know forsure if these are the correct size ? I already ordered them and got them in but havnt installed them yet but looking at hall's parts its shows the tank bolts being M5 bolts not M6. Hope I didnt buy the wrong inserts.
  5. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

Well nevermind this guy doesnt know what hes talkin about they are indeed M5 bolts and not M6. Great now I got to order the correct size
    inserts.
  6. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ouch.. The "E-Z Lok part number: 450-6 for M6-1.0 bolts" do in fact fits my M6 tank bolts.. :thumbsup:

P.S. I will update with pic soon..
  7. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

I just took a tank bolt out of my bike a few mins ago and there the wrong size. I ordered 450-6 like u said and there to big around for the bolts
    that go in the side of the tank. The 450-6 fits the bolts that hold the lower radiator covers on. There 2 different size bolts tank bolts are M5 . Yeah I could still use them maybe but there longer plus I'll have to buy new tank bolts to fit the new inserts.
  8. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

My bike is a 2010 510smr and they are indeed M5 so I dont no why your bike has M6 bolts in the side of the tank. I guess your bike is the only one that was made different then.
  9. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

My apologies for not checking what size you might need before I posted my reply Nov 6, 2011..

The size I ordered "E-Z Lok part number: 450-6 for M6-1.0 bolts" fit all eight bolts on my tank..

[IMG]
  10. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

Hunh well dont know what year bike you got but mine is different though for some reason. Maybe they changed the bolt size somewhere down the line.
  11. Dave19 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    98 ZX11, 04 SY Scorpa
    @ Fat Tire Flyer... I have a 08 TXC510. Will these inserts work in the sub frame? Only I need the M5 for my frame.. I had the same thing happen as most. The insert spun out... The Husky shop doesn't really know a good way to fix it. They have inserts but the flange keeps breaking free after a short time... Your fix looks like a good one.... Thread it in and it hold!!!
  12. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    hello guys i have the same problem about this, on my tank i have 4 bolts spinig :( my bike its a te 250 2008

finally what is the correct lenght i need? the ez 450-6 or the ez 450-5

thanks
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250

Wadding into this thread might be a little risky ... But I got some pics here for protection ...

In the spotlight, the bolt on the left came out of my tank ... The bolt on the right came from the radiator shroud ... The smaller one is M5 and the larger one is M-6? You will need to check what size is used in your bike tank shrouds apparently ..

100_6980.JPG

Maybe I can find these essential thread insert jewels here without too much of a chase or maybe not ... Looks like the correct route for the fix but I'll be trying filling the tank hole with this stuff and hoping it will hold ..
    100_6983.JPG

Yep, I got one spinning here also on the subframe... I'll be trying to stop the insert from spinning with this stuff ...

Attached Files:

14. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    Nivel Thank you for your help I have the m 5 bolts

So I think I need. The ez 450-5
  15. Salty Dog Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F, VTR1000 SP2
    The Official Husqvarna Workshop Manual shows the Tank Radiator Shroud bolts are M5x8

The E-Z Lok for an internal of M5 is Part No. 450-5 or 453-5 (for Stainless), External size is M8x1.125
    The E-Z Lok for an internal of M6 is Part No. 450-6 or 453-6 (for Stainless), External size is M10x1.5

So it would seem the OEM bolt is a M5
    Question is, do you need the extra external size the M6 insert to grab into the tank plastic after you spin the OEM inserts out?
    or
    Will the M5 inserts also grab ok???

Buying some M6 bolts is cheap an easy IF you do need the M6 inserts.
    As yet on this thread, i do not see a definitive answer on which E-Z Lok inserts are the correct ones to purchase.

[IMG]

[IMG]

E-Z Loc specs

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Good thread!
    hey all dont forget to use anti seize on the screws all the time as well as a preventative measure and they don't need to be very tight, all they do is hold on the plastic.
  17. Salty Dog Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F, VTR1000 SP2
    Well in my view, after pulling everything apart and measuring it.

You really need the M6 solution.
    The M5 E-Z Lok OD is almost the same size as the hole left in the tank from the OEM captive nut.

You "could" use the M5 E-Z Lok, but you would be hoping the glue holds it in place. Advantage is the OEM M5 bolts go straight in.
    The M6 E-Z Lok actually cuts into new tank plastic for the BEST grip you can hope for in the given situation.

Upside, is if you try the M5 first and it works, great, you can use the OEM bolts and happy days.
    If it fails, not big deal, just back them out and fit the M6 units and go buy some M6 bolts to suit.
  18. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I have found that using anti-seize on those factory bolts will help keep them from seizing.

Paw Paw