Step by Step air box and air filter modification

Discussion in 'TR650' started by drzcharlie, Mar 14, 2014.

1. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Kiwiape,

I can tell you that Myself, Arkwhizzy (ADV), Njoyheride (ADV), High Five, Magoo and DeDave have all found dirt in our airboxes and worse, IN the throttle body. Njoytheride actually had to have a warranty repair on his bike due to dirt in the intake.
  2. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

It's not really that bad. It is just tedious and time consuming. Just keep track of what you remove and where it was. To help me keep it all straight I take pictures of each section I tackle so I know where screws, bolts and parts go when I put things back together.
  3. macntatsch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 500 EXC, '07 FJR1300
    Charlie, You mentioned having to route the air box 3/16" larger to fit the silicone hose. Can you confirm there is no way to remove some of the original rubber grommet and have enough room to seat the silicone hose on the throttle body. Is the issue the throttle body is too short to get enough clamping?

I'd like to make the section cut from the top of the air box a bit smaller than you and Mag00 to avoid having to remove the side panel for servicing the filter. Do you think a smaller access panel would leave room to service the filter?
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    love your new avatar Charlie much than your old ugly mug lol
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

The problem is the slickness of both pieces. There MAY be enough of the grommet to clamp a hose onto. The problem will be keeping there. I had to change from the stainless steel joiner to PVC to keep it from slipping off. No matter how careful I was it popped off eventually.

However, you might be able to use a reducer over the grommet. Something like this: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...d=548&osCsid=3d5aed934d583a3dd5dda5072944c078

Remember you have limited head clearance inside the box so the reducer will take about 1/2" - 3/8" of your vertical clearance and you need a stiffener to mate the two to each other and an extra pipe clamp.

For the $50 an airbox costs, I cut mine and ordered a spare so if I have warranty issues I can return to stock prior to taking it to the dealer.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I haven't looked myself, but the mechanic who did the 10,000km service on my Terra last week told me that there was a bit of dust in my airbox and the throttle body which they cleaned out. He confirmed that all of the seals where the airbox joins look good. After regularly inspecting the area around the filter since I swapped from paper to foam filters, I'm confident that the dust made it's way in when i was using the paper filters for the first 6,000km or so.
    I might have a go at inspecting inside the airbox myself after a few more dusty rides just to see how it goes. Getting to the end of summer here, so dust isn't going to be a huge problem for a while.
  7. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Hi Nev, what brand of foam filter are you using? If you have a part number I would like to have it, I will switch over to a foam filter if you think it will work better then the stock one.
  8. macntatsch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 500 EXC, '07 FJR1300
    Thanks... I'm just lazy and trying to avoid taking the bottom of the air box off the bike. I was hoping I could cut down the grommet and still fit the 90 above, clamping the 90 to the throttle body and not the grommet. I guess I just need to cut it open and take a look instead of trying to imagine what it looks like.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    DSC08015.JPG
    Maybe these photos will help guide you. Looks like there will be a full band/clamp width, centering on one of the raised ridges. Just make sure to have a nice clean cut on the hose.

DSC08016.JPG
    macntatsch and Quirky like this.
  10. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    hudler likes this.
  11. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
  12. macntatsch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 500 EXC, '07 FJR1300
    Perfect. Thanks for the photos.
    mag00 likes this.
  13. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    opened mine up and sure enough she's dinned on some dirt:mad:. The rag shows how much dirt was in the throttle body. The airbox was pretty clean, but that does not mean much as my riding has been in very dry dusty conditions.

The real interesting thing is the area where the main leak occurs. For the most the entire perimeter has a rubber seal which has been in contact so no breaches there, but by the filter there is a section of airbox that does not and cannot have a seal and relies on fitment (of which there is none) to seal. I have circled this in read. I will use a silicone gasket sealer which will form a gasket but not glue the two halves together. I have just done this and in the morning I will pull it apart to see is I have a 100% seal.

Attached Files:

run-it likes this.
  14. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    In case you don't know there is late & ongoing development in search for another solution that retains the airbox/TB seal. See the "Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread" on ADV.
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Yep, that is the problem area. After removing my airbox for a mod such as being talked about on adv, I decided to use the Njoy, uni pod mod.

I suppose, you could make a piece of uni foam to jam in the front and seal that problem area, but you will still be subject to where the halves meet, warping, cracking or distorting and leaking. No matter what you do on the front door/filter config, you will still have the potential for the rest of the box to fail, if not already failing as seen by others' photos.

The uni pod mod is easy, cheap and final. You gain better flow, better seal and still fairly easy to clean the uni pod filter.

Just my 2ยข worth.
    engineerk9 and ace_cates like this.
  16. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    just been looking on ADV....can you hook us up with a link please?
  17. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Start with #3470 on this page. I had to search for it too. I love adv for ride reports but everything else is just a cluster f#%k.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850525&highlight=Husky TR650&page=232

I'm thinking I'll be waiting to see what all that figure out. Up until I saw that, I was wondering why no one had started designing a new air box. Their train of thought, combined with a liberal amount of silicone to seal the air box might be the ticket.
    turtlemoye likes this.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

It's NOT the ticket. Period. If you look at my "how to" mine had the prefilter and the silicone fix. My air box and throttle body was really dirty and I had only 1900 miles on the bike when I did it. If you think that will protect your engine talk to Njoytheride. He has two Terras and the first one had the engine go south due to dirt infiltration. It was a long drawn out affair. Just do the mod or wait for the 3D printer fix but the Pod Mod is the final fix. Dirt connection to the TB. No chance of infiltration of dirt.
    engineerk9 and mag00 like this.
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm with you on this. As much as I admire the work going into the new 3d housing etc, there are inherent problems that have not been addressed. One that I have only mentioned a little is the actual fastening of the parts being modded. Talk of glue makes me cringe. When I set out to do the mod, I had every intention of using a plastic welder. Glue on this plastic will only stick short term. Plastics gas off, and that will release ANY glue or epoxy that has not chemically bonded to the parent material, with the parent material chemistry. You can take that right to your repairman, after you have been to the bank. I have tried a host of glues, and did not find the one that fuses/bonds/melts the parent material.

And let us not forget how plastic warps over time. That and the rubber seal getting brittle. You are going to have to do the Uni Pod Mod anyway, or buy a new airbox.

I love the ingenuity of the project, but it is far more work, far less effective and possibly could cause a catastrophic failure out in the wild. And if you dump your bike, and crack the airbox, you are still SOL. At least with the pod, you can strip your bike naked as Dr. Z has, and still drive knowing you are getting clean air into your engine. These are 100k mile engines if you take care of them. 20k if you don't.

(hope you don't mind being a doctor Charlie) :thinking:
    engineerk9 and ace_cates like this.
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I'm with Charlie on this too; just too many places for leaks in the box. My parts are ordered and I will start opening up the bike soon. I can see a very thin film of dust just past the filter but won't know how much is in there until I cut open the box. Fingers crossed. I may go ahead and check the valves while I'm at it.