1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Stuck Cylinder, Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by adam6402, Jan 14, 2011.

1. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I would try the double nut method again with lots of heAt to the case where the stud enters, maybe someone used red Loctite.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Heat at the bottom of the cylinder above the case the case maybe magnesium. I'm not sure. The cylinder will expand faster than the stud it's a heat sink.
  3. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

no indication of sealant used at all, i've picked the gasket out all the way around, it's as clean as a whistle! on one side you can see the end of the stud threads protrude through into the case, there's nothing on the threads, again, clean. Everything points to it never being apart, the side cover screws are a bit chewed from likely playing with the ignition and clutch but there's no other witness marks on any of the screws or case allen head screws (which all came out easily) and it's a std bore.

I'll let it soak till the weekend, it it refuses to budge i'll apply heat around the bottom of the barrel just above the cases, i've already applied heat to the studs with no success, perhaps this penetrating fluid will help when i reheat it.

Good thing i have plenty of other things to do.....

Thanks for the replies guys, it's handy to know what others have tried and what has worked, it gives me the confidence to try things i am normally hesitant at doing.
  4. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Watch on heat! That magnesium will crack in heart beat!
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Ok , you picked the base gasket out , is it completely out ? Can you move the cylinder down ? If you can see both ends of the studs , can you get a fluid/ solvent from one end of the stud to the other ? And on the other studs as well ?
  6. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I rarely heat anything, seems like it all ways screws something up. Drop the hole thing in a barrel of oil or something similar for a month , then use a very blunt air hammer and a piece of wood to vibrate it off. You could always use one of those extra heavy duty construction trash bags if you cant find a barrel (doubled up the bags). Go visit a Diesel mechanic shop and you can get plenty of old oil and it will most likely have diesel fuel in it as well . Hope this helps.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If you ever have stripped Allen heads I use a flat punch with a ball pine hammer and strike the edge of the hex to roll it in so it closes up the hex a little. Then I take a Allen hex wrench and sewage the new hex in the bolt head by hitting it with the hammer. I just eye ball the hex to line up the wrench.

I posted this trick in the husky club news letter. I wish we had a spot for tips here.

Just a little heat will loosen it. Soak it with penetrating oil and put it in black trash bag in the hot sun to soak.
  8. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    Ok some interesting soaking applications
    i have a minor problem new Mahle piston actually 2 that saw moisture, the rings are stuck
    how would you free them without damaging a new piston
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    PB Blaster or kroil
    2premo likes this.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    tried PB Blaster
    what is Kroll
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Kroil is one of the best penetrating oils there is for stuck parts.
    2premo likes this.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    kroil is a brand of penetrant that many like. i have never used it but those who have say it is excellent. its drawback is that its hard to find many places. deep creep is made by the makers of sea foam, i find it far superior to pb and much kinder to plastic. i would try a bit of heat as well. altho those pistons may be ruined..
    2premo likes this.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I wonder if the Mahler rings are cast iron? Cast iron to cast iron can rust together. Kroil should free it up.
  14. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    where would one find this
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    2premo likes this.
  16. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    how long did you try soaking ? I'm serious about a month... just submerge it and forget it.
    2premo likes this.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

which product for a month
  18. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Pb blaster has never failed me (yet) lol. buy a couple of cans might need a lid and keep replenishing when needed. I think you can buy it in a gallon can now too...
  19. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Here's another one to try . Years ago a friend of mine left the spark plug out of an old ducati 250 for a couple of winters in his basement . When he tried to start it , it was locked solid . We tried everything we could think of at the time but nothing worked . My dad made a suggestion of what to use and we laughed . Well he laughed at us a week later when the engine broke free with a few taps after soaking
    for a week . This stuff softened the corrosion enough that we could get the engine apart and my friend out in back together re-using the original piston and rings . Don't laugh , he told us to use Coca-Cola . Poured half the can into the cylinder and drank the rest . I forgot all about this until reading another post .
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Coke eats rust in radiators why not. I wash off acid on batteries and battery boxes with coke as a kid.