SWM in the USA

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by Original Dirt, Mar 14, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I don't know about anyone else but I put money that G-G has a manufacturing contract with WP chassis (Peirer Ind.) because that entire chassis sure looks and dims out the same as my last gen KTM/Husky chassis. If not that, they cloned the last gen chassis including the swingarm assembly---why wouldn't they go either route, its proven and all the R&D is spent by WP design. That's how you re-build the company with serious cost effective fat trimmed engineering or should I say lack there of.
    Huskynoobee and LandofMotards like this.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Now back to SWM !!!
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
  4. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    Emailed motoman on when this sucker will be available. Now that the Beta 390 just got a deserved win, (Gerston won the championship aboard his Beta 390 RR Race edition) will be tough to look elsewhere but if cost is compelling, build is compelling, weight is not more than 350lbs and can be easily trimmed and fortified, it might be a winner. We need more info...

swm.JPG

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/new-swm-dual-sport-bikes/
    Big Timmy likes this.
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Are they releasing the am for 2018?
  6. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    At that price, I'm in
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I get it but bear in mind the SWM target market is not lastest generation racing like the Beta 390 for example.
    The target market is a well priced good high quality component DS 80/20 offroad trail bike that can tackle "real" offroad stuff (not like a DR type 80/20 road DS) in stock form. I think the key to this machine is the price point.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    My target use is not racing but I do want to fully research my options. The Betas have all sorts of good upgrade parts such as nice shark fins! Downside is some issues I just read on the Beta forum regarding oil issues on 2 '18s. Otherwise I want to see them fully tested and give some time for engine issues to arise. Same with the SWM. I don't care if a chassis is old because the Husky chassis is great, but I do expect engines to be improved over time, target market or not. I still can race the SWM... Why not? We roadraced all kinds of real crap and not like they turn you away. Turn the throttle. I give more props to the dude with the beat up old bike than the rich dude with all the latest bling who crashes out in turn 1. I always like to have a sleeper since when young could not afford to get the best, so modified to suit. Make them think you were slow and then smoke them. So if the SWM comes in at a good weight (possibly by simply a single can exhaust instead of the double) and has good engine characteristics, may be very good for me. Chassis wise I am familiar though I really despise the air filter jammed in as it is on my 310. If I was a great racer the lightest and most potent would get the nod but even the Beta is not targeted as a top racer but a very good package overall and a ton of accessories are available. Who knows... Maybe the SWM will be a cult classic and have some aftermarket too.
  9. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    FX 350 buddy I hear it will change your life lol
  10. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    rally10.jpg

500 RALLY
    Oldscool and Johnrg like this.
  11. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Funny thing on FB yesterday, after I posted a photo of my 310, is a comment from somebody that loves the Italian Husky era bikes and was starting a FB group for them... Hello SWM.
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  13. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I work for Pete at Moto Man Dist. and if you have not received a response to your email, I will try to update and answer now.

At the EICMA show meeting Pete was told that the USA SWMs (which require lots of DOT markings on hoses, lenses, etc.) are in production for us now, but they will not be shipped until all of those required DOT items have been sourced. Pretty much the same stuff as on the Euro/world bikes but with DOT USA required markings. The RS650SD X/T bikes and the RS300 bikes will all be DOT tested in Europe labs due to the long time frame it took the RS500s to finish testing in the USA labs. The RS300/650s will be able to pass most of the chassis certification requirements as the 500s by having the same components mounted, however both will have to pass the 15,000km/9000mi US DOT durability testing and there is no fast way to complete that at roughly 500km/300mi average a day on a lab dyno. Plus down time for refueling, oil changes, chain adjustments etc. we are looking at 30 working days at a minimum. We have no control over the time factors involved as they scheduled by SWM. They have our updated order for 500s RS500Rs & SM500Rs and all we can do is to wait.
    Any time a bike has gearing changes, wheel tire configuration changes, intake/exhaust changes they have to retest for EPA/CARB certification. That means that RS550Rs and SM500Rs had to both pass specific DOT/EPA/CARB tests, and it means that the various versions of the RS300/650 will also.

On the topic of the 2T bikes shown at EICMA, we told them that we would take them ASAP if they had them next Spring, but their recent response was that they are still R&D projects and are not on any future production schedule yet. Don't hold your breath. SWM still wants to have a competitive 250MX 4T that can share the same basic chassis, mounting, and fixtures as a 125MX 2T. With the Euro 4 homologation regulations applying to all 2Ts needing to be f.i. that one is a long shot IMHO unless SWM buys/shares a motor with another factory.

We have about 40+ dealer inquiries on hand and we do solicit more if anyone is interested. Applying dealers will be sent application packets once we have confirmation that our order can be shipped to us within 30 days, that would give us roughly 75 days to set up dealers. SWM dealers will have to be able to qualify in their state for a new vehicle dealer's license since all models will be DOT legal.
    cyclopathic and Johnrg like this.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I liken the Beta (non RR versions) to updated cagiva TE 310's/450's et al. They are all excellent bush bikes, not racers. My Beta 480 is the best enduro style bike I have ever had (so much more flickable than the KTM's ) The older Huskies were the same in their day. I still love getting into the tight stuff on my 310's. The only issue I have had with my many huskies over the past 18 years has been the gear box gearing-they would be a 10 out of 10 bike if 5th and 6th gear were a tad longer. As for reliability -both have been and are extremely reliable- only break downs ever were a busted chain and running out of gas.
  15. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Been dealing with Shingles for 3 weeks so in no hurry right now :eek:
  16. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Shame the 2 stroke thing is unlikely to happen. We will will just have to keep up with the maintenance on our WRs. Still, a new 300 would have been nice hey.
    shawbagga likes this.
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I think the SWM USA FB page should be updated as the admin for them claimed the 2 strokes would be available spring 2018.
  18. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I am the admin for the SWM Motorcycles USA FB page. I added an addendum quite a while ago on my original comment stating that the 2Ts were most likely not going to happen anytime soon....guess some people did not see it, so i recently deleted the original post.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  19. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Feel for you yanks, these bikes(300, 500 & 650's) have been for sale down here for past 18+ months!
    cyclopathic and Kam1 like this.
  20. Original Dirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I am sharing the post from our Facebook page on Monday Dec.11th :

"We received a notice today from SWM that our order for RS500R and SM500R bikes has been delayed again until at least the end of January 2018. That means that at the earliest we would not have bikes in the USA until at least Early March 2018. Then it would likely take until late March or Early April to get them into dealers for sale. At this point we may consider waiting for additional models and start with Model year 2019. It is not without urgency on our part as we have been working on this project for almost 2 years. Most dealers would be hesitant to invest in new bikes to sell that in 60-90 days (July 1) become a model year old. We're trying to see what we can do to expedite matters, but mostly it is out of our control."

SWM can basically sell the same Euro4 certified bikes worldwide, but the USA requires additional detail b.s. that makes the USA destined bikes completely different in many minor ways. To purchase and label specific USA only parts and then assemble the USA destined bikes is taking longer than SWM anticipated. In addition to that they can practically sell all that the can produce currently everywhere ex-USA. it seems that the sense of urgency that we in the USA have is maybe mired in the Italian way of doing business. SMH ! So once again we wait. Even though everywhere else in the motorcycle market manufacturers try to release new machines ASAP July 1 to kick off the new model year the small Italian factories generally don't seem to have any concern about it until sometime after September 1st when they have re-opened from their 2 week Summer holiday shut down. It is our USA expectations that don't match the Euro culture expectations that we're just going to become accustomed to in managing our own expectations.