TE/SM610 - 650 V-strom - 08 650 Ninja

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    The DL650 has smaller throttle bodies and milder cams than the SV650. The DL makes a bit more torque, but about 5 hp less than the SV. The power is right where you need it on the DL. My wife has a Naked SV and I have the DL650.

The DL does pretty good off road but is just a good street bike really.

[IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/v/s-B7lVrwAAU&hl

Later,
  2. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's a great video as I can't see how the heck you could get yourself to take it over terrain like that! *by the way, what tires are you going to run down in Me-he-co?*

Just so everyone knows, that is Kelly's in the background taking the video...you can see his 610.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I believe Jake would take that to Gifford if you dared him to.
  4. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

I really like the SM/TE 610 on the street. I even rode my TE to Laguna Seca this year chasing my wife on her Ducati the whole way. If you like big single cylinder super moto's and you like the V-strom's, try a hypermotard or multistrada. We often say if Ducati made dirt bikes, they would be Husky's. The same works in reverse. I can go really fast on the Husky on a paved road, the Hyper only weights 50 punds more and has almost 1.5 times they power. I scare myself on it.
    Kelly, come out to one of the track days we are having at www.oregonraceway.com Should have the dates soon. We'll let you ride some fast italian machines.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I never ride my superhawk anymore as It's not real fun slower than 70-80. The 610 is a blast under 80. Slower safer fun to be had on the 610 4 sure.

:thumbsup: I'm all over that. Ping me when it happens please. :cheers:
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Bravo!! :applause: That's awesome, Jake! Nice to see the DL being ridden the way it was intended:lol:

I figured there had to be some internal differences between the DL and the SV motors, thanks for the info. I just needed a reliable every-day commuter, since I've pretty much quit riding sportbikes on the street for fun, so I went with the SV instead. It's much lighter and more nimble for me (I'm 5'1") when splitting lanes on the SF Bay Bridge. It's really a fun bike and I don't regret the purchase at all. I've dualsported it quite a bit, and Eric has really had fun with it. I didn't do so well in the sand at Mono Lake, though. I should really put Mt60's on it next time:D

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

:lol: My SV has seen plenty of miles at Stonyford in the Mendocino NF and at Kennedy Meadows down in the Sequoia NF. It works great if it isn't wet and you aren't in a hurry:) I'ts also been called into duty on DS rides up near the Lost Coast and in NV. One time we blew up Eric's motor and he spent the next week riding my SV on dirt in NV. It worked much better than we thought it would! It seems like the SV would be a great platform for a flat tracker.

Bald Mt OHV Trail, Sierra NF

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  8. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

yeah the 750 while hard enough to provoke really will bite you when you inevitably take it one step too far :D however for a sports bike it seems to have the power/weight ratio perfect, i find 600s too revvy and 1000s tiring after a while so for me its the perfect engine. i think the one i have now is my fifth.

as for the sv i have just never got on with twins for some unknown reason but i always liked the look of the naked sv.

[IMG]

theres the current one in the anniversary colours plus vicious guard dog looking on :)
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ooh! Scary dog:lol: Nice looking bike! I like how it's slightly dirty and looks like a daily rider.

I never set out to own a GSXR, myself, even though they made my heart skip a beat when they first came out. A good friend of mine bought one brand new in `89. We terrorized the streets of the city on our bikes the night of the Loma Prieta earthquake here in the SF Bay Area:busted: He rode the piss out of it til he got sick. He passed away in May `92 and his mom gave me the bike. I've owned it ever since. It was my daily driver for years and then got relegated to recreational use only. It has the short stroke motor so you gotta be pulling some serious revs in order to go anywhere so it's kind of annoying. I much prefer a 600 I4 over a 750 I4, but I'm pretty pleased with the Suzuki V twin.

Here's my GSXR...

[IMG]

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  10. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great pictures on the dl1000. I believe I will need to set up a ride on a 610, the 6 speed and fuel injection are key (my 510 has made me very happy with these features) as I build my next adventure bike. I will most likely keep the honda as it would be tough to let go. Has anyone ridden both the 610 husky and xr650? I would like to know your thoughts.
  11. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    +1:applause::thumbsup:
  12. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Own em both

I own both the DL 650 and the TE 610 and love em both! They each perform they're assigned tasks very well. I can't ask for a better street oriented all rounder than the Wee. Although it is admittedly a little slower than my previous ST's, it does every thing they do and isn't afraid to go on extended trips on dirt roads and I can park on the sidewalk and drive off the curb without a second thought.

The 610 is my unstoppable, go anywhere machine. I ride it to the trailhead, air down, do the dirt part of the ride, air up, and ride it home. It's good for all but the gnarliest, tightest, single track.

As time and financing allows, I plan to attach a tow hitch to the Wee to pull a small, cut down trailer to tow my 610 and/or my mountain bike with the Wee. Good stuff Maynard. :thumbsup:
  13. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

You guys are bad. I haven't even gotten my SM610 in yet, but I have my wifes SV650S in the garage which I use commuting every day. I've ridden my cbr929 down dirt roads plenty, but never really to the extent I see people are using others. I've always wondered what would happen with a motarded SV650. Probably end up with a 610.
  14. rajobigguy Administrator

Always a good choice.:thumbsup:
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Copy that, Raj :thumbsup:

My SV is a ton o' fun in the dirt, way more fun than one would ever suspect, but I was always afraid of falling and busting off a radiator, or knocking my oil filter off in some rocky creek crossing and then watching my bikes lifeblood run into the creek. If it were better protected, I probably would have found myself a little mischief somewhere. As it is, my pipes are pretty much bashed in on the bottom. The 610 is a much more care-free ride:D

On a related note, Eric and I were riding in Nevada one time a year or so ago. He'd blown up his 426 motor and was riding my SV in a really sandy slot canyon. I was behind him on my KTM 450. He would rocket out of the turns, wanking on the throttle to get every ounce of what the 650 twin had to offer. I had to ride damned hard to keep up. No way in hell was I going to let him outrun me in the dirt on my own streetbike with full-on street tires! I'd wack the throttle wide open, wanting to stay close so I wouldn't miss the impending Suzuki yard sale if/when it happened, then haul on the binders hard when the next turn would come up so's I wouldn't run over him. I could have passed him in the turns no problem, but he just would have eaten me alive on the next straight. Besides, I didn't want to miss anything should he throw it away in the sagebrush and rocks. He was starting to relive the many years he spent roadracing, and was thinking he'd have to try his hand at flattrack. He'd probably be good at it. Anyway, that was one of the most fun rides we've ever had together...and that's saying something, because we've had a ton of `em :thumbsup:

Ya know, it was that trip that got us to thinking that maybe we needed bigger motors that wouldn't blow up in the desert. I towed Eric and his 426 50 miles back to camp with my 450, over 2 mountain passes and through single track. The next trip to Nevada I had my 610 and Eric had his LC4 640e. :)

Here are a few photos from that trip...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  16. rajobigguy Administrator

Woodschick:
    You and Eric amaze me. I can't find enough traction to keep me out of trouble with full on comp. knobbies and you two just motor over anything on street tire equiped street bikes.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: