TE250 2010 Off Idle

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by discobob, Jul 27, 2010.

1. discobob Husqvarna
    C Class

Ok so I rode a Demo 250 which had the off idle stumble but as I am used to road racing and tuning EFI I was pretty sure I could get ride of it easily.

I first played with Ibeat got it pretty close but not quite right.

Installed a power commander V, with this and about an hour of testing / making changes made a huge difference, i would say overall 20% better across the range. Super crisp / snappy across the range except for 2000-3000 off idle.

This really only matters when you need to rock hop and it pops and stalls. In single track or normal riding it is now perfect and the low/ mid range is unbelivable.

So I still wanted to fix this area up but have had no sucess. The other point is the hotter it gets the worse it becomes. So this indicates to me that it is running rich or the temp table in the ecu is not quite right.

I had a thought of installing a second water temp sensor or splicing into the existing one and then making another map for the power commander to make it leaner at higher temps automacticlly.

Tha other though I had was the throttle body might just be a little to big to make it run clean off idle.

And new ideas welcome.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I've upgraded from my 08 TE250 to the Athena 300. I think we will have to use the ECU (via splicing) from the Athena kit to make it run right. That's the biggest issue right now, just off idle, although the bike is lean running on the TE 250 ECU, "lean as a popcorn fart" as George said.

There may be an issue with the PC making these run too lean (and hot). Search around on the PC threads and you'll see some questions about this. My dealer has some ideas about this and if I remember to ask him I'll post them here.
  3. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The off idle hesitation is a known issue with the 2010 TE/TXC 250's. Check Husky Sport's post on this, it effected early vin 2010's. There is a re-flash for the ECU that helps improve this issue. It still needs tweaked even with the re-flash in the bikes that I have seen. I worked on that same issue from Dec. 2009 until May 2010! I ended up with the Leo Silencer with matching ECU and it solves it as well.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Tim, spill the beans on your TPS setup. Did that help? I think you fool the TPS to think the throttle is closed when it is 1-2% open or something right?
  5. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes I have been running a advanced TPS reading for a while now. It is not proven as far as I know but I think it improved throttle response. It did not solve any issue with the off idle stumble.

If someone wants to experiment and has Ibeat here is the method. With the bike hooked up to ibeat and already warmed up, key on and engine off, you take a reading of your tps and write it down (this way if it does not work you can reset it back if needed).

Then on the ibeat screen the 3rd box on top (Large Monitor Screen) changes the screen from needle gauges to numbers. In this you will see your throttle percent. This should read 0.0%. I then loosen the set screw on the FI and turn the screw in until the throttle % reads 1.5%. Carefully tighten nut up as it can change your reading if the screw moves in with it.

If this does not work or want to go back to stock, you can just back the screw out to 0% and then take a TPS reading with Ibeat and set it again. Be sure to take a read and set to make sure it is at 0. The bikes don't run well if it is a negative % reading.

Again on my bike this seemed to get the bike into the power sooner. All of these bikes seem to run different CO numbers. I have also been running this on a '10 TXC 250 with a re-flashed ECU with good results. I have asked a few people about this and should know a little more in the next few weeks. It is very simple once you do it and if you already have ibeat.
    Phoenix likes this.
  6. discobob Husqvarna
    C Class

Thanks for the responses, I have the latest flashed ecu, done two weeks ago.

Throttle responce above 3k is perfect with the power commander adjustments I have made.

The fact that it gets worse when it gets hot has to be something as well. Eg running rich. But leaning it off any more doesnt seem to help.
  7. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You might want to check the temp. sensor then. In Ibeat and the bike cold see what it reads, if it reads hot when the bike is cold it is bad. Also when the bike is warm check it to make sure it is not reading cold. In Ibeat under service there is a Diag History will have your fault codes. If temp sensor failed at 1 point it should show up there as well. Kelly's bike and my bike both had temp. sensor failures and was a easy fix once figured out.
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Tim, where did you end up with your CO settings? I found that as my TXC motor broke in, I had to go back to leaner settings. I'm back to 100, 100, 100. This is with the Leo system and new ECU.
  9. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am at 102, 104,104 with good results. I have tried going leaner on CO1 and it will not run as good. My bike has pretty low hours I hate to admit.
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Did the advanced TPS "mod" per raisrx's instructions tonight in the garage. I'll try to ride this weekend and give a report on the results :thumbsup:.
  11. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Easy to do isn't it. I was at my parents with a big area to ride the bike. So I set the laptop up on the back of the truck went out and rode it, tweaked it, and rode it again.

While you are looking at the throttle percent next time, twist the throttle and watch where 40% throttle is and then 70%. This will show you where CO1 effects 0-40, CO2 effects 40-70%, and CO3. This way if you think of it while riding you can get a better feel on what you want the bike to do. I like to play with this stuff.
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Tim
    Important to point out zero TPS first step must be done with adjuster screw just touching (ie almost opening) the Throttle plate. Then Then on the ibeat screen the 3rd box on top (Large Monitor Screen) changes the screen from needle gauges to numbers. In this you will see your throttle percent. This should read 0.0%. I then loosen the set screw on the FI and turn the screw in until the throttle % reads 1.5%. Carefully tighten nut up as it can change your reading if the screw moves in with it.
    After you may have to use the idle-like screw to get idle where you want it. Book answer is like 2 7/8 to 3 out but have had to go to 3 1/2 to 4 on some 10 250's to get idle low like 2100 ish.

Joe
  13. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm with you. I bought an ultra-small PC so I could carry it with me in a back pack... just so I could tinker with Ibeat anywhere I wanted to.
  14. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I wondered about using a netbook, but found that iBeat didn't seem to be resolution friendly. When I ran on a laptop which was only capable of 1024X768, it didn't scale the iBeat window, so I couldn't see everything. Nor did it allow me to scroll the window.

What resolution are you running on your ultra-small PC?
  15. discobob Husqvarna
    C Class

Yep checked this as well. Thanks
  16. discobob Husqvarna
    C Class

I have uploaded my PCV map to the map section.
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    You're right, iBeat isn't resolution friendly. On my Toshiba 10" netbook, It will not display the entire "needle gauge" screen properly. However, I almost always use the digital number screen as it seems to provide more useful data and responds to changes more quickly. The number screen is fully visable on the netbook. :thumbsup:
  18. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    So, how did advancing the TPS work? My flat spot is getting more pronounced as I put more hours on it. I haven't done the reflashed yet as my local dealer doesn't have it yet and I haven't got around to sending it off. I'm wondering if I can adjust around it without the reflash.
  19. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I haven't ridden since doing the TPS adjustment. Hopefully I'll get some ride time this weekend.
  20. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

what exactly controls the idle on the new FI bikes? is it the TPS adjustment?

what does that screw do then? Is it a fuel screw or mixture screw?