1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te511 oil shower

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Josh Feller, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I might powdercoat the valve cover white so the red ano vent gives more "bling"
  2. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    you will get a periodic spray of mist every once in a while and a good trickle if you ad 1600cc . Bike benifits more from a catch can than a return system if all your running is 1200cc . That's why I dumped the breather box / return system because all I'm going to fill mine is 1200-1250 cc and whatever blow by it gets is going to my chain.. You do need a breather catch can at the minimume if you keep your vent routed to the airbox.
  3. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    He who dies with the most toys wins
    You've concocted quite the set up Rear! What are the benefits of running a catch can over a return line? Not sure if sending intermittent blow by to the chain is for everyone... but love the ingenuity!
  4. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Thanks, the catch can for the guys who run 1150-1250 cc and route there vent to the airbox is what I'm saying. With the valve cover mod probably need the return system . My "new " ruturn system is very simple and must have the breather mod. It simply T's into the stock vent line and the oil gets reclaimed threw the stock vent breather. I will basically have two breathers and the end of the hose routed to the chain . You can still run a catch can instead of the chain luber :)
  5. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would like to run enough oil to submerge the torque limiter, which will require capping off the oem breather location. Based on your tests, how much oil do you think it will take to cover the TL? I'm guessing 1300 to 1400cc? I'm going to try this when I install Tinken's valve cover breather and see what happens... I'm guessing my return set up won't be able to handle the volume... but we'll see
  6. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I had 2000cc in and nothing came out the OEM breather :) the bike will not let you know when enough is enough, only the creaters of the engine know your question... I'm good with 1250cc . I did ride my bike all over town and down the highway using my breather can and return system with no issues. Not interested in guessing on max fill capacities anymore.. 1250 or so and I'm good :)
  7. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    so far so good using 0w40 mobil also measured out 900 cc's this time instead of just pouring in a "quart", just need a ready to go shiny red breather setup so I can run all the oil. Side note the clutch is quiet!!! thanks every one that helped, now tinken get busy and sell me that setup!
    Tinken likes this.
  8. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 GasGas EC300, 94 BMW R100GS
    See how how this works out this weekend at Camp Wood.

Attached Files:

Rearwheelin and Tinken like this.
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Nice! Where'd you get the bottle?
  10. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    I machined it from 2" round stock, the nipples from 1/2 " tubing. If it wasn't such a pain removing that much material I'd make another one.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Ty's original breather bottle looked similar to yours. It was mounted on the front radiator of Nick Burson's txc511. It had a swirling centrifugal design that condensed the oil vapor. Mounting and drain back issues made him back burner the project.

Nice job on the breather vent, did you find it difficult to install?
  12. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not at all, simple in fact. The instructions were clear, it took about 45 min, due to it being the 1st time removing the valve cover, way less if I was practiced. The most difficult part is getting the gasket seated all around when you reinstall the valve cover. The bottle is pretty simple and the bracket has the one mount, if it pivots I'll put a roll pin next to the bolt. And thank you.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    There is a tiny bolt holding your spark coil in place. It sits inside a plastic indent. If you grind the indent off, it makes it a snap to remove next time, or while in the field. :)
  14. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    I did not think of that Tinken, thanks I will. Bye the way I rode the pants of my 511 w/1500 cc of castrol 10/40 synthetic this past weekend, nothing to note which means the valve cover vent mod works just fine.
  15. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Im only running 1150cc in my 449. I guess I'll have to experiment and add like 100cc at a time and see how it goes.
    Did your shifting improve after going to 1500?
  16. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes, but then my scooter has less than 500 miles on it so break in might be improving shifting also.
  17. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Finally got to the valve cover mod tonight. For some reason the 'uni bit' didn't center very well and the shoulder on one side of breather is a little closer to the lip of the valve cover bolt seat indent than I would have liked. It looks and feels like it seated good though, will try it out tomorrow and see how it works!

Also planning to add some oil in small increments. Tinken, any idea how many cc's to submerge the TL?

511 valve cover breather mod.JPG
    oregonsage and Tinken like this.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Due to liability, I can only tell you to run 1150cc's. Ty and I discussed tonight finding out how much oil the dry sump will really hold because we don't know for sure. We are going to test this though. I wouldn't fill until the torque limiter is submerged because it is located near the top of the transmission. The torque limiter is going to run much cooler at even 1150cc. Others in the threads have tested much higher volumes with good results.
  19. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    So Tinken, I, admittedly, am not very knowledgeable when it comes to viscosity numbers and what they mean. You seem to know what you're talking
    about in that regard. After reading your recent comments on the 15W50 may be harmful to my motor I bought a liter of Motul 300V 10W40 Synth. Couldn't find
    0W-40. Not even sure if they make it . So I did an oil change a few days ago. It's been my experience with this bike and oil changes is when I remove filter and both
    screens, lean it over yada yada to get it all drained. Close it up and I dump in one liter, start it and warm it up. Take her for a spin around the block. Turn it off then check it and add accordingly. I don't even measure at this point. It was very close. I poured about two glugs of 15W-50 Motul (fresh) as that was all I had but that should be ok, right ? When I say two glugs it's probably like 4 oz. or less. Both are 300v Synth. Also, is there a big difference between using 0W-40 and 10W-40?
    Tinken likes this.
  20. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    What will happen if there is too much oil in the transmission compartment? I can't quite picture how the pumps work, but if this is a dry sump design, then the pick up compartments must be isolated from the rest of the compartments right? Too much windage?

For some reason I thought you were running 1400cc of oil... but maybe that was with an oil cooler?

Understood on the liability aspect. Would love to hear back on what could 'hypothetically' be problematic with running too much oil, and what that amount of oil might be!