1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te511 oil shower

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Josh Feller, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Motul 300V 10W40 is expensive, but it matches manufactures specification exactly. 13.1 cSt. There isn't a noticeable difference in performance between this and 0w40, one of the main reasons why I recommend Mobil1 0w40 is because it matches closely to this specification and is inexpensive. Another recommendation is Mobil1 4T 10w40 which is also very close to specification and only slightly more expensive than the 0w40.

I believe that O'reilly auto parts stocks a good selection of oils up near Sacramento.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/fi/storeresults/sacramento/CA/25.oap
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    At this point, I am unsure how much oil I am running, I haven't drained it since testing. For testing purposes before releasing the valve cover vent, I tilted my 511 over on it's kick stand, pulled the oil fill plug and filled with 0w40 until oil ran out the threads. This placed the oil at a level higher than most people would normally fill. I then rode with my breather bottle attached on the exhaust side of the engine across Lucerne Valley, CA for approximately 100 miles through miles of whoops, high speed, up and down verticals with not a single issue other than a tiny leak from my down tube from my breather bottle AN fitting.

If you did manage to get the oil high enough in the case to where its level was higher than the right hand side main crankshaft bearing, oil could slowly seep into the crank shaft area which is normally sectioned off. It will handle a small amount of oil in this compartment, it has it's own Eaton oil pump. But, if you kept adding oil higher than this bearing over and over again as it seeped into the crankshaft area, it is possible to develop crankshaft lock. This would require a large amount of oil in order to do this which even did not happen when Randy placed 2 liters of oil in his engine.

On a side note, the higher the rpm you run in your engine, the more oil tends to build in the top of the head. As this oil builds, the crankshaft sump goes lower and lower. Now at 800cc's of oil, almost 300cc's of oil is used up in the filter and galleries of the engine which left 500cc's of oil in the bottom of the sump. I don't know about you, but this seemed quite frightening to me. Vertical climbs of any lengthy time would seriously limit your oil delivery efficiency. This is why we put our breathers off to the side and devoted all energy to the breather vent.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I was considering this hose arrangement last night while pondering how best to hook the Zip-Ty valve cover vent to the airbox. Looks pretty sanitary, think I will try mine that way too.
    Tinken likes this.
  4. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    He who dies with the most toys wins
    I think it's pretty functional. When oil and gasses hit the tee, gasses up and oil spills down. I think a bottle would be best, but this is a cheap fix for now, and I haven't seen any oil in the air box. I would do a 45 or 90 out of the fill plug if I were to do it over. I used 1/2" tranny hose rated to 400f.
    oregonsage and Tinken like this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I agree with the temporary fix. I will add some update info in my forums later about my breather bottle progress.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Yeh Im only at like 500 or so miles now
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Thats what I want, the best answer until the bottle arrives...
  8. Blacktop Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR1000
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    He made his.
  10. reboundrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    I finished installing ZipTy's full oil recirculation kit about two weeks ago and have had a chance to put 200+ miles on it since then with 90% being on road. I had been running 1 full quart (946 ml) of Mobil 1 Racing 10W40 full synthetic with no oil puking issues. When I first got the bike it was filled to 1150 cc and I did have oil spewing everywhere.

When I removed the valve cover I noticed that the factory bolt holes did not appear to be perfectly centered and when I drilled the 3/4" hole for the breather valve I experienced the same issue that 511BRAAP did and was worried about the O-ring seating properly. I was also worried that the bolts might not align properly when tightened but everything tightened down ok. It would probably be a good idea to clamp the valve cover down and properly set up your drill press so the bit is truly centered rather than letting the bit follow the factory hole which may be off center to begin with. The breather does fit tightly in the valve cover so you have to make sure to align it properly in the valve cover before you seat it. If you try to twist it after it is seated in the cover you might shear the fitting for the hose off. I used grease to tack the valve cover gasket in place and also the collar for the bolt for the breather so it wouldn't slip off during installation.

Two suggestions for improvement of the kit would be to improve the design of the retainer clamp that holds the drain hose in place to prevent it from contacting the hot exhaust pipe and to add 2 inches to the length of the heat shield material that covers the drain hose.

The oil catch tank is beautifully designed and matches the shape of the engine. It looks great on the bike and seems to function very well so far. The first thing I noticed after filling the bike to 1200 cc of oil is that it shifts so much smoother and runs quieter and easier. Overall I am very pleased with the kit and love the improvement in the way my bike is running.
  11. reboundrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS

I forgot to mention that for some strange reason the bolt that holds the spark plug coil down to the valve cover is recessed down with a raised plastic wall around it so you can't get a wrench on it (there is no clearance for sockets anywhere on the valve cover so I don't know how anyone could follow the torque settings when re-installing unless you had the engine out) so I took a dremel to it to allow easy access for a wrench.
  12. Elsmicko Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR 400
    Hi Folks,
    Newbie here, love the discussions around the engineering stuff on Cafe Husky! I am in the process of getting a new bike, should have it next week (TE449), just wondering if the breather issues mentioned in this forum include 2013 models? For all the posts out there, I really can't find anything that negative about the Huskys! I am looking forward to it as I am converting from an XR400 (+BB kit and hot cam) :p, the best part being an electric leg!
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    There is a hold down clip for the return hose to keep it away from the exhaust. I can add extra heat barrier and hose length to the next kits. New drainback kits will improve return function aswell.
  14. Sailingaz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at this time
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 GasGas EC300, 94 BMW R100GS
    Yep, have a lathe and mill. I have put almost two thousand miles with the oil return mod, mostly unpaved. I like the bike now that it does not puke oil. I like it a lot.
    Londin likes this.