Tecate to Cabo in Dec. -- Interested?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Jun 1, 2009.

1. tlking6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Army. Young kids with machine guns in hummers. There was always a couple older guys giving instructions to the younger ones. I'm guessing we were little more than a training exercise for them. At no time did I feel threatened or concerned.
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

We will only find Army out in the bush. As pointed out, hummers are Army, always, in Mex.

And Army is good.

There is also 'the federales' and that is worth understanding.

They where just folded into a new organization, PF--after disbanding the PFP. Its a long story. Anway--in places like Mexicali, TJ, La Paz, or on the highways in Baja--its usually the PF. They always drive Dodge Rams or similar vehicles, and carry various HK assault rifles (although ive not seen a MP5 yet, :))

Anyway--the old, corrupt Federales system has been largely replaced.
    There are still federal highway police who sit around eating donuts, and of course corrupt local city cops.

For more about the new PF read this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Preventive_Police

Just FYI.

great to read you felt so safe from Tecate to SF. :thumbsup:
  3. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Racer 5?!!! I'm in!! (assuming there is room)

I'm an infrequent rider, but I'm a frequent beer drinker and good friends with Mike (and Scott, Mr. Guzzi (too bad about the Moto Melee, Scott -- leave Saturday, still time!!!)).

Most any form of transport to Cabo has to beat bouncing around in the bed of Mike's Toyota 4x4 truck, which was my last position for a good portion on our last trip to Cabo (in December 1997, on our way to Belize ... and back -- great trip!).

whoo hoo! Ed
  4. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Locked and loaded............. Let's go !!
  5. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any updates Mike?

-Blake
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think we are there. Guys coming from all over the place. Right now we have 14 riders. I figure 2-3 will back out in the coming months. So we are good.

New name:

1st annual....

Husky "Trip to the Tip"

Im gonna wait till after the dealers meeting to officially announce it. :thumbsup:
  7. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can I announce that I'm "in" or do I have to be invited?
  8. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I am so looking forward to this trip.

This was the push I needed to get my passport renewed.
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

UBIn.:thumbsup:
  10. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, well we should get the dates/times solidified and the sooner we get plane tickets, the cheaper. I can't wait!

-Blake
  11. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R

When is the dealer meeting?
  12. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

If you've still got room you can count me in as well. I'd been planning on riding down to visit my uncle in Buena Vista this winter anyway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=23.658299,-109.693112&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Depending on the number of people and route, I'd bet he wouldn't mind if we swung by for a BBQ/pool party/refresher. Helluva nice place to relax for a spell, right on the beach. Old satellite photo, doesn't show pool and jacuzzi. ;) Otherwise, I'll just detour after we get to Cabo.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold