Terra with Trail tech 8" headlight

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mark Regier, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Mark Regier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Just thought others may want to see what it looks like. I bought the boatman conversion kit and installed an HID bulb, so I'm street legal with an H4 bulb. Utah can be kind of strict about the high/low. Ran a fresh wiring harness to the light from the battery with heavy gauge wire, relayed off of the stock headlight wiring. Didn't even have to install a new switch-- works with stock.

Paint is custom-- rattlecan automotive paint.

The ballast is painstakingly arranged in the front fender. That's right. There's a little room in there. IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG

I experimented a lot with different bulbs looking for the most light with best pattern. Ended up removing part of the shield off of the bulb itself. Lots of other options here, and I know I probably could have gotten more light from some m60's. One of the few times I opted for the aesthetic of a single headlight rather than the utility of aux lights. Call me vain.

Happy to be rid of stock headlight cowling. I never thought it was very attractive on the bike).
    Scutler, bluegopher and Thumpa like this.
  2. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350
    Awesome!

Looks strangely similar to my DR350...
    [IMG]

I was considering doing the conversion but not sure if I would like it. I wonder if it or the stock headlight has more amperage draw?
  3. Mark Regier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Not sure how to measure or find out about amperage draw. All I know is that the typical h4 bulb and the h1 that came in the trailtech light are both 55 watt bulbs. You're probably dealing with low stator output on the DR, eh?
  4. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    No need to measure the current. 12v and 55w is ( roughly not including wiring loss which is about the same) 55 divided by 12=4.7 amps roughly.
    Most HID's are 35W but have a small current loss for the exciter so draw 35divided by 12=not quite 3 amps.ie LESS. I have seen 50 and 55w HID's for cars and motorcycles but suspect some of the claimed extra wattage comes from calculating the voltage at live circuit voltage of a 13 to 14v.
    On the Husky I am worried about induced voltage and current effects from the exciter on the ECU but haven't seen anything nasty yet.
    I like that light though. I agree with the statement about the Manga inspired design. Bit to pointy for me. But the bike is so grin inspiring , I will forgive it.