1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

The bike just stops running

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by waserman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

A good quick test of the water temp sender is to disconnect it and see if it runs. its a common fault :( and faults are hard to detect without iBeat...
  2. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I'm getting ready for a dualsport this weekend smaller group,150 rider limit.I'll get to test it in the rocks,I'm thinking it'll be good for me with just the spring changes and a few turns on the clickers.I'm hoping for an uneventful full of fun ride.I'll get some Evans or Engine Ice not sure yet on that Evans.I'm going out for a ride tomorrow and put it through its paces,and come back and get it ready for this weekend.
  3. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Hi waserman,I'm in SJersey.It seems like I have a similar problem,and tried mostly what you did.I'm starting to think it's the fuel pump.Any chance of hooking up and try your fuel pump assemably in my bike?
  4. aethelred Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you disconnect the water temp sensor the fan should come on. Give a "temperature to high" warning on the dash. But it should still run...

Some water temp sensors have been giving intermittent readings which can only be seen with the data logger in Ibeat...

It would definitely be interesting to know your solution...
  5. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    So far all is well.I have noticed that when the engine is hot and eventually the gas in the tank and also the fuel temperature have risen that the fuel pump seems to labor to do the intial prime when the ignition is turned on.This hasn't been aproblem but just something that I've noticed.I'm wondering if the tolerances in the fuel pump are still so tight as to cause this and as more time is put on the bike that this will change.I still only have 350 miles on it,and I'll have a better idea of just how things are after this Sunday ride in the mountains of Pa.:thumbsup:
  6. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    :thumbsup:Well all worked as it should and about 100 or so miles later no issues.A new record for this bike and it handled well in the rocks,I was pretty amazed at the stock suspension.The only thing I noticed was that there seems to be a slight hesitation after you get off the gas to set up for a turn and get back on it again,maybe this will get better with time still low miles.
  7. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Waserman, any updates on your bike...Im having similar issues with my '10 TE510 with 300 miles.
  8. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    [IMG] I happy to say that all seems to be as it should. I still don't have a lot of mileage on the bike just under a 1000 miles,but they have been issue free.
  9. little squirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had this very same thing happen two days ago. i have a 2010 smr450 that has 200 miles on it. wouldnt start at the gas station, i pulled the seat off and put my ear on the tank. had to cycle the key like 10+ times before i heard the pump come on and prime. then she fired up and off i went. i since put the power up kit on and havent had a problem yet in the last 24hrs. I only have like a 14 mile round trip commute to work with traffic. I was wondering if there is something like a high engine temp telling the ecu to not turn on the pump. because when bike is cool the pump always comes on. dunno if our bikes are that smart though.....
  10. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did not have any problems on the road, I don't think the bike got hot enough. When I hit the trails a couple weeks ago is when the problem started. So today I used a friends track and got her nice and hot, made sure the fan was running a ran her a little harder. Turned it off, then she wouldn't start. Unplugged the water temp sensor, fan kicked on and started right up. I'm wondering if some of the 2010's got some of the bad water temp sensors left over from '09. Problem is, water temp sensors are on back order.

Anyone know who's got one in stock?
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Are you in NJ/NY?

I had similar problems with my '10 TE250 last year at the Beehive enduro.

Am I to assume that disconnecting the temp sensor might reset the fuel pump if it happens again?
  12. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    What I found was that with the sensor not functioning properly and the motor being hot if it stalled or you shut it off the bike would have to cool down enough to start.So to answer your question I believe that that if you disconnect the sensor and she fires up then there is a good chance that the sensor is the problem.If you had access to I Beat diagnostics then you could verify that.I also think that insulating the bottom of the tank to keep the fuel from getting too hot would help the longevity of the pump life because of the tolerances changing when the fuel gets hot from engine heat.The fuel in the tank acts like a cooling medium for the pump.I went to the larger tank and also put some Lucas gas treatment in with the fuel when I fill my gas cans.I have seen that there have been several instances of premature pump failure reported on here,I'm hoping to get a normal pump life from mine but only time will tell.The good news is that a source for a reasonably priced pump has been found and posted on this site.