The new Beta 2 strokes...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm just under 6 foot, no issue starting WR's or left footed 610's or whatever. All bikes are tall now. That kick starter takes about half a ride and it is a non issue. Buddy Adam is like 5-10 and has had 3-4 WR250's and it is a non issue for him too. That said the motor makes great modern power but is to heavy and needs upgraded for weight and drive on the other side so it can share frames with the x-lights.
    jmetteer likes this.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    When I had my '00 WR250 the kick start lever seemed "normal" to me and starting any other brand 250 2 stroke seemed weird. Off course this was after coming off left kick Huskys! Also my Fantic trials bike is right kick... foward!
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Me too!!! when I owned WR250's hopping on friends bikes always took a minute to get used to the kick starter. They had the same issue with my bike. It is simply in a slightly different place. Put your leg there and kick, whats the big deal? There are many more things to deal with off road than should I put my foot 2 inches further forward.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Probably be a stretch swapping that drive train over ... The frame would have need to be designed to work with both engines and maybe Husky is not interested in that ...

I'm expecting an all new 2T when it happens and not a dated machine like this beta. Its preTTy but looks like a outdated, plain old 2T machine from more than a decade ago ... Add ~zero racing results in its history (correct ?), and you almost have a backyard made machine ...

Probably some guy sitting in front of the computer playing with the colors and plastic was the most important job for that one.
  5. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Or, you can just buy a KTM, Berg, GG or now a BETA if you want a shorter bike that is easier to start. I sold 15 Berg 2Ts last year and 40+ GG in 2011 and 12 and I bet that 15 of those guys would have bought WRs if Husky would have updated them. I sold 2 2010 WR300s and none in 11. Both of those guys are have 2013 Husabergs ordered.

Husky has 2 holes in their lineup. 1 is a race ready 450 and the other is a 250/300 2 stroke. Other than that their lineup is pretty stout. Unfortunately, the hottest bike in my area right now is 250 and 300 2 strokes. Husky dealers have been screaming for a new 250/300 since 08 and are watching loyal customers switch brands every race.
    john01 likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    all these new 2 strokes are cool but have to agree that not a lot has changed in the last 10 years. A 10 year old YZ250 is about the same as a new 250 2 stroke, not a lot has changed. Yet.

- i would go as far as to say my 02 WR250 was as good and in some respects better than the new one for my needs. Lower seat height, pull axles, zerks, spark arrestor stock, narrow, etc. Loved that bike.

[IMG]

In fact my 99 was VERY good as well and gave nothing away to the new ones IMHO...

[IMG]
    water racer likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The KTM's and GG's i have sampled dont seem much lower if any and are the same for me to start unless they have the nice E-start that works once in a while (KTM) and you pay 1-3K more for those bikes. But yes, upgraded and new. Lots of nice bikes out there these days and yes husky need to update the WR line.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I think they really screwed up the ergos when they updated the plastic in '06. The '00-'04 tank/plastic was much better. That's why I rode my '02 WR125 until the '09 WR125 came along... better chassis and better ergos IMHO.
    Motosportz likes this.
  9. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Love the 00 to 04 ergos but love the 09 and up frame on the 125.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Totally agree and don't mind the ergos on the 09 and up bike too.
  11. mxdave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg
    Funny enough Scotty I'm just waiting for husky to update the 2 stroke and I will be buying one. I was thinking long and hard about a 13 te310 as my dealer has one at a good price but I rode up a few erzberg type practice sections at the weekend and you just can't beat the 2t. Especially in wet Ireland.

The Husaberg 13 is good but its just not hitting my soft spot. The Beta really looks good I reckon the 14 bike for me will be a toss up between the Husky and Beta. My 12 berg is as good as any model out at the min so I might just hang onto it till next year.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'd buy my 02 CR250 bike again if I could... It sits here waiting at the Boundary 1 trail head in GPNF ... You are not gonna break this one with anything short of a hammer and anvil ...

PS -- Their is absolutely no telling what Husky is gonna unveil for a new 2T machine ... The stars are aligning for something big to occur with the backing bmw can provide with a new machine..

HuskyCR250_2.jpg
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Then Husky could keep the top end just put it on a new tranny. As for seat height , set the sags correctly front and rear and you won't have a problem. I had issues slinging a leg over my WR150 until I got the correct springs and sags on the bike. Made a huge difference in seat height and ride.
  14. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh, it's White and Red - so it's just like a Gas Gas.:doh:

Most of you should be able to put a double screen up. Find pics of a Gas Gas, and put the Beta besides it.

It's a very different bike.

The engine is it's own entity. Have a squizz at where the Electric Starter is. Just as a start - if you can find it.

The more 2ts, the better. Hopefully, the new Sherco will use their own engine. And Jotagas, will have their Enduro bikes - but they are concentrating on their Trials bikes, first.

And yes, buckeroos, there will be a new Husky, fairly soon. The very old 2t engines, have done strirling service, and I'd not be surprised to see them kept around for a while - they would make for very affordable, high quality 'entry into the Husky fold ' bikes if BMW / Husky want to do that. EICMA is next month. BMW / Husky executives, have repeatedly said they are targeting 2 strokes - thank you to KTM, for p***ing BMW off. It's probably the only reason Husky continues to exist, and has a good future in front of the company.
  15. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I really feel that HVA did not want to put band aids on the old design. Rather put all there R&D and money into the latest technology even if it takes a little longer. I say the new bikes will be out next summer and may have DFI.
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    I would like to add a 300 to the team, I keep coming here everyday hoping to see "New 250/300 for 2014" in the newsroom section. I won't buy the current model when there is something new around the corner. The two current 250's i've ridden didn't agree with me either.
  17. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The cycle world magazine review said husky better hurry up and be the first street legal because KTM has been developing them too.
  18. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    I'm not sure about this so i'll ask; what is so important about DFI? From what i can gather it is not an automatic do all on the 4-stroke Husky's and from the info on the Cafe Husky it would seem to be a pain in the neck. It looks to me like WR's are like sex; steady makes up for good. I like the idea of Carbs. and as far as that goes. Just asking.
  19. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    For now I prefer carburetors also, but potentially direct FI should work better and supposedly they will need it to comply in 2014.
    Marketing wise it would show HVA as a leader and that is what it will take to get sales from the "I ride one too" crowd.
  20. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

You'd have to living under a rock not to know KTM have been developing a DFI 2t, for several years now.

I believe it's just sitting there, ready to go. KTM have basically said this. But, they have repeatedly said they will not launch them, till Euro emission regulations require it. Fair enough, keep raking in the profits from the old 2t engine units, that so enable them to develope more 4ts Off Roaders, Road Bikes, and that car. Husky / BM, have a least implied they may not be waiting for 'force' to be the impestus that brings their new generation 2ts to the market. As nice / good as the very old Husky 250 /300 engine is - it's Husky that needs a new engine module much moreso than KTM. Though, KTMs 125 / 200 base unit, dates from 97 /98 (I 'think') and the 250 /300 base unit, from even earlier. They've done some updates, but when major parts from the 360 /380s, (96, or earlier? - to 2002) can go into a 2012 / 2013 250, it's still the same 'base' unit to me.