There are two kinds of riders...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by jtemple, May 8, 2012.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I don't know if a rimlock would have kept me upright or not, but it certainly would have prevented the tube failure, I'm sure. I'll know exactly what happened once I get the front tire off of the rim.
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Two days later and I'm feeling much better already. I'm fairly certain there was no serious damage done to me. I'm going to take some time off from the gym and get better. Shoulder day will really let me know if anything was seriously injured.

I'll get a closer look at the bike by the end of the weekend.

I've been doing some gear shopping, and I'm considering getting a one-piece suit and wearing it every time I get on the bike. No more leaving the pants at home. The jacket I shredded is the top part of a two piece suit I have. I never wore the pants riding around town. I think it's time to count my blessings and start.
    Dirtdame and WoodsChick like this.
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Bike Damage Pics:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My Polysport handguard took a beating too. So I used the opportunity to fit the Husky 630 guards from the Special Parts list. They fit on the bar a lot better (and look better too).
  5. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    +1 on the Motion Pro rim locks, been using them for a while. 1/2 the weight and 2x the price....but worth it IMO.
    Makes it a lot easier to balance a dirt bike wheel without having a ton of weights added too.
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Sent my MoJavi back to Giant Loop for repairs.

Contacted Highway Dirt Bikes for replacement shields and mounting hardware, and right hand guard. The hand guard is fine, but I wanted a new shield. I figured I might as well get a new hand guard while I'm ordering stuff.

Ordered a new tennis elbow band.

Bought rim locks, front tube, and wheel weights.

I can't get the weights pushed down on the spoke nipples. I found some reusable brass ones that have set screws. Ordered a set of those.

Got the front rim lock installed and the tube replaced. Pinched the tube during installation. :(

Cleaned the oil out of my airbox, cleaned and oiled my air filter.

Probably going to replace that rear axle.
  7. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

glad ya made it through that ordeal in decent shape!
  8. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    sounds like his wallet lost a little weight :D
  9. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yeah, but not too bad, considering.
  10. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Good to hear you are OK JT. Not nice sliding down the road.

Thanks for posting pics of your jacket. I've been wondering whether textile would do the job as I've traditionally worn leather on road but recently moved to textile. Yours looks more torn than I'd expected from a mid speed slide. A good reminder again to wear the correct gear as often as possible.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Yep recon you should count your blessings. That footpeg must have dug a trench in the tarmac.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'm definitely going to re-visit the gear I wear, buying higher quality stuff and gearing up from head to toe (pants included) for every ride.

I have some Icon riding jeans that would certainly hold up better than the cargo pants I was wearing. I have a leather Alpinestars jacket and leather Joe Rocket gloves that will hold up to a pavement slide much better than textile. I can wear that combo while commuting.

I am shopping for a higher quality textile suit and am leaning toward an Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have heard great things about them.

It sure did. The crash site has a nice black mark from my rear tire, made as I fell to the right, followed by several gouges in the pavement as the bike slid & spun around for about 20 feet. There's an oil stain where the bike came to a stop. It was still running and oil was coming out of the breather hose. At first, I thought I cracked a side cover of something and I was upset. Thankfully, it wasn't anything like that. I didn't even lose enough oil that I'm low.

My shoulder is the worst injury. Some research suggests I have busted up my rotator cuff. Some rest and rehab exercises should do the trick.
  13. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The bike is ready to ride again, except for wheel balancing. I have some wheel weights on the way to balance the rim locks.

I have orders in at various suppliers to replace the rashed up parts. The parts are all still usable, but I'd feel a lot better if they were replaced.
  14. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

The guys I've been riding with removed the nuts on the valve stem so if you do spin a tire you have a better chance not sheering the stem. It should just slid into the rim without a blow out! I am removing mine today! I run regular motion pro rim locks and low psi with out any trouble, shake, slippage, etc.. Just keep those rim locks nuts tight! My bike gets used hard in the woods, rocky mt trails and I have been on the same HD tubes for 6k. Glad you're ok jtemple!

Edit: I do have Dynabeads in my tubes to help balance the wheels.
  15. Drock Husqvarna
    A Class

You should consider sending your lid to Shoei. They will inspect it for free and send it back to you within like a week. They are designed like 'crumple zones' so even the slightest hit at the wrong angle could render it unusable. I went down on the track in my Hornet once, hit the back of my head a little bit so I sent it to them. They sent it back with a letter explaining how they checked all the components and it is still safe to wear. Gotta love Shoei!
  16. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    The Motion Pro rim locks have a recommended torque spec. 14ftlb for the reg. ones. That is more then I used to tighten them by hand. I torque them now. The MP stick on wheel weights stick on better with clear silicone.
  17. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The lite rim locks from MP say 10 ft-lbs. I didn't check them with my torque wrench; just tightened them down good.
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I have the nuts on my stems, but they're backed out all the way to the valve stem caps.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  19. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I may take the nuts and valve stem caps off and just keep a nut in my tool kit for tire changes.
  20. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Nah just back the nut off all the way up to the cap, that gives it all the wiggle room needed. Now that you have the rim lock it is not going to spin anyway.

_