1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Thinking about buying a WR300...what's it worth?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by avc8130, Aug 24, 2013.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Good question, the older ignition is not digital but provides 55amps of output and almost never fails. Personally I see no advantage to the Ducati and would prefer the older model.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Probably you will have better luck without the Ducati ignition.:rolleyes:
  3. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Good to see 2 responses with 2 completely different pieces of advice. Haha.

ac
  4. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    The fact that these bikes have been so heavily discounted over the last 5 or so years has really screwed with their perceived value. What you have to ask yourself is, is there value in that bike at that price?

If it were a 300 of any other comparable make, would you even be asking that question?
  5. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    That's what happens when a manufacturer does that type of thing. KTM has brought the values of their bikes UP by asking AND GETTING ridiculous MSRPs. Husky seems to have chosen to go the other way...

ac
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    "Husky" is an anomaly. BMW chose to besmirch the Husqvarna name when they decided to sell off the little dirt bike pet-project company out of Varese to go focus on "Urban Mobility" 'cuz that's where the money is. Now they can sell aweful looking scooters and the like to the same people who think a Toyota Prius is saving the world. KTM will hopefully resurrect the Husky name from its embarrasing state at the current moment. Nevertheless, they are good bikes and recently have been sold for stupid money. Heres a thought...how many model year 2013 WR250s or 300s are on showroom floors at the current moment? Theres a reason why the 2 strokes disappeared FAST when these prices hit. I almost bought a WR125 just because, and I have no need for one.
    I guess you have to ask yourself; "am I buying this bike to sell it or ride it?"
  7. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Oh trust me, I called the local dealer and he moved his 250/300 stock pretty quick at $5k for brand new 2013s with light kits and street plates.

Does that mean a 3 year old version is still worth $4k? I'm just not so sure. It's been on the same exact Craigslist as those new bikes at the exact same time and it is still there now.

The dealer still has a 125 if that is still interesting to you.

ac
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think the biggest reasons for a WR sitting on craigslist are the time of the year and the fact that the dealers were blowing them out recently.
    Let me shift focus here...
    What is the number one type of riding you plan on doing? What kind of terrain, etc?
  9. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    North NJ woods. RAC property. Pretty much rocky mess. Fair share of hills.

Maybe every now and then a trip to the sand in South NJ.
  10. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok..
    That being said, ANY stock suspension will need work for the rocks. In stock form, my WR was more capable in the rocks than anything I had ridden previously. I did own a 2001 CR250 Honda in the past which was completely re-done for woods riding. The WR felt better to me in stock form. As I "picked up speed" this year from riding with some A riders on non race weekends and starting my first real race season in B Vet class in the ECEA, I quickly started to notice the suspension was lacking.
    Otherwise, the way the 300 runs, in my eyes, is phenominal! Its magic inside that jug!
    What I can tell you I dont like about the WR:
    -A little too tall if you're under 6'. I lowered the bike about an inch. Made a huge difference.
    -Fuel tank/rad shroud design blows! I can live with it but its stupid.
    -Not the easiest bike in the world to start until you get the technique figured out. A cheater box on the starting line is a must!
    Im not a "sand rider", Im more used to the rocks over here in PA so maybe someone else here can chime in on that aspect.
  11. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    The height does have me a bit concerned. I keep reading that...and I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam.

I ALWAYS do suspension work to my bikes. #1 bang for the buck from what I have experienced.

ac
  12. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm a half inch under 6' and the bike was manageable but much better now. The bike can be lowered more but I didnt want to sacrifice ground clearance and the 1" was really all I needed to feel a little less awkward. Ive been trying to stand up alot more often and a tall bike is not confidence inspiring when railing thru the rocks and trees.
  13. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    What did you use to lower it?

ac
  14. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I slid the forks up thru the triple clamps-dont know the amount off the top of my head. The shock I had lowered by Evan at Solid Performance in Downingtown. He put an Ohlins spacer inside to limit the full extension of the shock. Took about 1" from the seat height.
    The forks I had him do as well-not lowered but he did re-valve and re-spring them. No more deflection in the rocks.
    After a few races I noticed the rear shock turned into a pogo stick. No oil leaking and it still had dampening but something wasnt right. Turns out the seal inside was worn and I had oil and nitrogen mixing. With that being said, its not worth placing a bladder in this shock like some people would believe is the solution. By the time that seal wears out, a serious rider would have the shock serviced regardless.
    Just some "FYIs" for you on the bike. I'm curious if Drew did a bladder on the shock of the bike youre looking at.
  15. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300

I think you need to read their posts again. They are both in agreement.
    lankydoug and Dirtdame like this.
  16. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Good catch. Reading comprehension clearly isn't my strong point!

ac
  17. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I bought my Husky without even seeing one in person. When I went to the dealer to pick it up, I knew as soon as I sat on it, that it was going to be a good bike for me. I'm 6'2" 245. I've been offered to ride a couple KTM 300's and as soon as I sat on them I said, no thanks. Just felt weird to me. I guess I should take them up on the offer to see what the difference is. Good luck with what ever you choose.
  18. WR Chris Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KX250F
    I bought a brand new 12 wr 300 from Town & Country in December. For the most part I'm absolutely in love with it. The gas tank plastics are a joke like K5PL5 said. Jetting I found to be ridiculous, such a temperamental bitch! I'm still running stock valving in it for suspension, & finally hitting the point of needing the re-valve. The stock computer & speedo setup seems to not last on many of them - wires tear right in half at the front forks. I'm only 6' and LOVE the height of the bike, makes me feel more in control (which my front fender & headlight will show I'm not!) I vote snatch one up for a fair price, you won't be disappointed!
  19. avc8130 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    What bike did you come from?

Are you thinking about swapping carbs to deal with the jetting?

Mind sharing your inseam? It seems most guys have ~32" inseams at 6'. I only have ~29" inseam at 5' 11".

I see Philadelphia, where do you ride? Trying to get the idea if you go East into the sand or West into the coal/rocks.

ac
  20. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The stock Mikuni can be made quite acceptable with a JD jet kit.:thumbsup: