1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Time for More Advice

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mikebru, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    I went from a 570 Husaberg to a wr300. The 300 was night and day lighter and quicker turning, unfortunately the big four stroke made me lazy since I could burp it in 2nd or 3rd and go over about anything. It took just a bit of getting used to but not a huge streach. I later bought a wb 165 in addition to the 300 and enjoy them equally for different reasons. The 165 however is night and day lighter than my 300 they both turn great how I have them set up but the 165 will shine in the tightest of tight single track every time. The 165 is even less for giving than the 300. For what its worth I rode a buddies kx250 set for woods and can't stand that 250 motor and firmly believe Walt's high comp 165 with HGS pipe he built for me would give the 250 a run for its money!
    When I went back to 2 strokes I went through withdraws and thought I needed a 4 stroke again but I'm over it, however I had a blast on the txc310 and even more fun on the tc250 for some reason.
    Fwiw if I had a race with huge elevation changes, lots of logs and river crossings, or lots of high speed open areas I'd take the 300 because of power and more forgiveness. On most everything else I'd be faster on my 165.
  2. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I really think it depends on the type of terrain you ride, in the gnarly technical slow stuff the 124/144 is awesome. The fast open desert stuff a 300 or 450 is the better tool for the job. If you are struggling with traction work on your clutch control skills to use the soft power delivery of the 125 bottom end as an advantage.

On this ride in January we had 7 riders and we were riding in one of the most challenging riding areas we have around here. 3 riders were very very fast Idaho desert guys on ktm450/ktm500/CRF450. The 4 locals were on CR144/KTM200/KTM250f/KX250f, the small bore bikes were at the top of the gnarly climbs before the big bores just about every time. Watching them struggle and spin in the roots and rocks confirmed my theory that the small bore bikes are an advantage in the slow stuff.

As a comparison, when I went over to Idaho on my 125 for the 2011 Idaho city ISDE two of them kicked my butt pretty good. My best special test on day 1 was the last test, 90 miles into the day. Here are the over all results from the 5 special tests that day.

KTM500 6, 11, 26, 18, 18
    KTM450 21, 22, 11, 24, 12
    CR125 47, 61, 34, 30, 26

And some video from the January ride.

Later,
    marcmo0 and wallybean like this.
  3. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    I have a deposit on an 09 WR250 with a Rekluse. Just waiting for the title. Did a quick test ride and it felt better than the TE449. A lot more 'on-off' though then the 449! Guess I'll be taking off in 2nd gear.
    wallybean, shrubitup and Norman Foley like this.
  4. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I had my 1st real ride yesterday on my new to me 2009 WR250. I made the switch to a lighter bike from a 449 and a 2005 TE450 before that. Its my first 2 stroke. I have a few posts about figuring out the best bike to get. I was trying to decide between a 125, 165 or a smaller 4 stroke. Bike has a rekluse and suspension done by Solid Performance in Pa. Previous owner is about my weight.

I bought the bike in April and only did a handful of small, local rides. Liked the bike though.

So yesterday I did the Saturday piece of the Durty Dabbers dual sport in Lock Haven, Pa. All smooth, hard gravel roads and lots of loose and tight, pretty big rock trails.

I've done the ride a few times in the past on my other bikes but usually the big bike course. I was never comfortable on my other bikes and therefore always nervous about the tough sections. I decided to 'go for it' this year.

I had a blast and felt great! This bike is awesome! Light feeling, power, smoothness, well rested clutch hand and especially suspension.
    I used to bounce around on the loose, rocky uphills. This time, I clicked it onto 2nd or 3rd and went right up without kickouts or bounces. On one hill, I ended up aimed right at about a foot and a half high, box-shaped rock with a vertical face. I braced for the worst but barely felt it! Glided right over it.

The power and ease of climbing all hills was great and pretty easy to control. Felt like a hero by the end of the day.

I didn't get on the pipe in tough sections, though. Only did that on easier parts.

Only problem I had was rocky downhills. I wanted to stand but I'm not good with the rear brake while standing. Without any engine braking I ended up riding down while sitting which was pretty uncomfortable!

Overall, I am pumped up about riding again. I felt like I was flying even if I wasn't. After 100 miles I was sore but not exhausted like with my other bikes. Ready for a good summer of riding.
    sabortooth likes this.
  5. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    On my 250 I got rid of the clutch lever and put on a left hand rear brake. Makes downhills a snap.
  6. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Now I completely understand the advantages of a lhrb!
  7. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    So you find that you don't need clutch at all? What about jumping over logs, ditches and stuff? When you need to lift front wheel a bit?
  8. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    I like my clutch but want a lhrb. I'm thinking about the Clake!
  9. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Nope, no clutch lever. 250 had all I needed to do those things. I now run a 144 no clutch, just a lhrb. All my Offroad bikes get the same setup now. BTW, I've been told that I set up a bike "weird". LOL . Works for me!
    sabortooth likes this.
  10. CLAKEOWEN Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    NONE
    Other Motorcycles:
    BETA 300, GAS GAS 250, KTM525
    Hi All,
    just thought I share this with you, for anyone looking for the ultimate left hand rear brake setup,

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjWSr6nHTjA
    This is actually the finished product, the one in the youtube was a test of the prototype, this one features improved lever ergonomics and an on the fly adjustment for clutch disengagement from rear brake activation and also a new dual control system that allows for seamless transition from foot to hand rear brake activation or visa versa,
    Cheers Owen.
    027.JPG
    troy deck, ks9mm and justintendo like this.