Trailtech lights / Stators / computers in inventory

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Looks good! What method did you use to mount the pin plate on the fender?
  2. nitromed Husqvarna
    B Class

I haven't mounted it yet... got confused and didn't want to make a mistake. It's difficult with the raised black piece on the fender. Hmmmmm:banghead:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I just removed that. Saw another guy that mounted the plate to the top of it but raised the light up to much for me / brake hose issues.
  4. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Really haven't been caught out at night much yet but I went to the 45w BA20 lamp & it's adequate for getting off the trail or brief in town ride. Still, I'm considering the X2 Halogen version (but blue housing if I do for my old(?) blue TE)

Read thru all this again, if I'm getting it, the 2" works best for on all the time/street use, and sounds like the 4" would work best for on mtn trails coming out at dark, or go finding someone.....both if I really needed light for faster running.

Has anyone figured out what the stock stator (like on the '05 :) ) really puts out for lighting? I've read 130W someplace long time ago, but that was combined AC/DC output so not sure what was there for lights.
    I'm only running headlight and LED tail/brake light, so I would think stock stator is fine.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I put in a variety of headlight bulbs in my 2006 TE250 and 45W was about all it could handle esp when approaching a stop sign on the street (idle) with the brake light on - headlight dimmed with both brake light and turn signal.

Those are some fairly large wattage bulbs in the turn signals and brake lights so going to LED would free up some wattage.

Obviously the stator could be modified...
  6. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

sounds like roughly 80-90W then on the lighting circuit, so could be adequate for my need. Guess I could set it up to run one or the other lamp if an issue.
    Even though I didn't really want to go the expense of stator rewind/replacement....maybe should just do it and be done w/it.
  7. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I run Buell headlight setup with 55 watt bulbs,[IMG] it dims at idle with brakes on, going to put an LED tail light on.
    Before that I tried using a 55 watt aux light hooked up directly to the battery + the factory headlight. It took a couple hours for the battery to die down until it wouldn't crank the engine over. It would probably run a 35 watt bulb without issue right off the battery & run your main light off the normal factory head light leads. I'd also recommend an LED tail light. If you're running turn signals, go LED there too, I didn't have any when I had the aux light setup
    [IMG]
  8. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

No turns signals on mine, and do run the Acerbis LED stop/tail light now, so really not a big draw on the system......oh, & a horn

(also running Moose handguards like picture...except blue)
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    My manual says "Rear Lights with stop bulbs: 21W". An LED tail/stop light should free up some power.
  10. jeffchri Husqvarna
    B Class

Is the bit about the 2008 really true? Is it really better? I have a '08 TE510 and would love to run these suckers.

Also, Kelly, do you have pics of the Vector mounted with that custo bracket on your bike? And do you entirely ditch the standard dash?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    As David (Fitness2go) posted and is using the 08 TE's power the X2 light just fine.

Yes junked the stock ODO on my 610 and went with the vastly better Trailtech unit. also used the Vector on my TXC450...

[IMG]
  12. jeffchri Husqvarna
    B Class

Nice! Do you use the remote to do the "rally mode" stuff? Wish the Vector didn't ditch the tach, though ... why did they? Those are braindead to wire, soooo ...

Are the other sensors (temp, etc.) model-specific in some way?
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have the remote, works good and is cool to have. The RPM gauge was useless to me, I know how fast the engine is spinning be feel / noise. There is a T for the hose included that runs the temp gauge. It's slick. Here is where i mounted my temp sensor (top of hose int he pic)

[IMG]
  14. jeffchri Husqvarna
    B Class

What are you doing for all the indicator lights on the OEM dash. Some are quite useful (fuel and neutral lights) and some are just safety issues if they're missing (high beams and turn signals). I'm not even sure if you're legal without at least the latter ...
  15. shotgunscott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha,suzuki,kawasaki,scorpa,AJP
    I just completed an install of a 100 watt DC Trail Tech Stator that I purchased through Motosportz:thumbsup:. The Trail Tech instructions are a bit confusing :confused: and the install took a lot longer than what I had antisipated. Knowing what I know now the install can be done in less than 1 hour.
    The stock 08 TXC Stator provided plenty of AC power and I never did have a dimming problem at lower RPM's (55 Watt halogen) The stock DC side only puts out about 20 watts. I ran 2 MR11 HID's off of the DC side and after about 4 hours the battery did not have enough power to run them.
    Last night I did a proving ride with the new DC System from 11:00 P.M to 03:00. I ran a consistant 82 watt draw (4 MR11's 52 watts, 1 MR16 30 watts) with no problems, other than blinding a few deer and elk. I also had the ability to switch over to a 55 watt 8'' halogen and the MR 16. This also worked however I had to make sure the 8'' was on because the HID over powered the halogen light output.

So far pretty happy with the conversion and hats off to Motosportz for the customer service.

1 more testing run with a 8'' HID and 2 MR16's (95 watt draw)
    Then 24 hours a Perry mountain:oldman:
  16. Lurkerlou Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm surprised I forgot to post this up but for the people wondering how the light pattern of the X2 HID is at night I have a little footage from a Vholdr helmet cam that was never designed to run at night. So the fact you see anything is a real testament to the light the X2 puts out.

Just a quick clip but it might help others take the plunge.

Keep in mind I switch on the high beam shortly into the trail.

http://www.vimeo.com/4546214
  17. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I found out the same thing, I pulled mine in the house this winter when the garage was below freezing. i had an hour window before Amy got home... It ended up being in there for a couple days while waiting on trailtech to clarify their instructions... :lol:

[IMG]

I still wonder what the output of the stock stator would be if you float the ground and install the trailtech reg/rec to get all DC. It has to be close to the 100w of the trailtech.

Later,
  18. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great vid, really shows the difference. Thanks.
  19. UberKul Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wiring questions x3?

1. I've installed the new Trail Tech stator and am now stumped at the regulator. Can anyone tell me which wires to splice? The flat terminal connector is the OEM and the square one with 2 yellows is the Trail Tech.
    [IMG]

2. Since this will now be DC and my 2007 TE 450 has no keyed switch I am assuming I will need to wire in a switch/disconnect directly to the main positive at the battery?

3. The KTM instructions that came with the parts indicate cutting and splicing wires on the main harness under the tank to convert to 100% AC but I do not know if/what wires would be involved on the Husky?

A Holiday weekend is not the best time to start a project that is a couple pay grades over your head.:doh:
  20. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    are the trail tech computers street legal?

Would i need anything different for the HID on an 09 Husky SMR 510?