1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Trials tires on a 2T

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by edmoto, Nov 19, 2011.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I always found the UHD tube to want to move around more. Even with 10psi in my MT43 the valve stem would be really bent in about 5 minutes of riding. With the natural rubber HD tube as long as I did not use any powder they seemed to stay put. But if I get the really thin Michelin I might be tempted to try a UHD again.
  2. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

i reset my HD tube once about a month ago? It was getting tweaked over. Maybe you should run two bead locks?
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I marked the tire to make sure it was not moving to see if I needed another rim lock. The tube just likes to move on it's own. I even reset it once on the trail, rode gently on a gravel road for 5 minutes while not touching the rear brake and it still moved. Maybe the UHD is tough enough that it is not a problem but I was alway worried about a blow out at high speed.
  4. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

well there goes my theory. I ride with a guy who pre loads his valve stems, he sets em up crooked from the start so they slip into a normal position.
  5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

i just ignore mine. they move around, but I used the same one for about 12,000 miles before I got a ginormous pinch cut trying to go too fast and hitting a huge sharp rock i didn't see. never had a problem with crooked valve stem.
    jmetteer likes this.
  6. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

I have tried both the michelins (2 tube type x-11 radial and 2 of the bias-ply cheaper ones), and also the dunlop (4 or so dunlops so far), and also a tubeless radial michelin I found on a fence at starvation ridge. The one I found on the fence was a real bizatch to install. otherwise, using a little wd40, good tire levers, and proper technique in keeping the bead down in the center well to create slack, they all seem to be about the same to install. but i change alot of tires, so i stay in practice and it goes pretty quick for me. Usually 2 beers total to change both tires leisurely in the garage. I can do it in 1/2 beer in camp when someone flats and we're in a hurry.
  7. Enmerdeur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here are my random thoughts after running trials tires for 6+ years

1. If you are going to run them with a tube you need to run 2 rim locks roughly opposite of each other.
    2. Braking sucks with trials tires the heavier the bike the worse it is.
    3. Michelin or Bridgestone UHD tubes work best.
    4. Michelin tubeless X-11 is by far the best for pure grip. It is the squirmy-ish of them all though.
    5. The Pirelli MT-43 is by far the most versatile and most normal feeling tire (read non-squirmy-ish). Bonus is it is DOT approved.
    6. After years of experience I wouldn't ever even bother running a trials tire without the Tubliss system. It is so superior and eliminates pinch flats.

For single track there is nothing better. Run it at 6 PSI with a Tubliss and you will be a hero.
    lankydoug likes this.
  8. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    A clarification for my part: Have we all been talking about using trials tire on the rear ONLY, or front and rear? I've been thinking of using one on the rear only, but is there any advantage to doing both rims? And when using the tubliss system, is it safe to assume if you get a puncture (lots of cactus where I ride), can it be plugged like a radial? I would think so, but I've never used tubliss to be certain.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I use a trials tire on the rear only but use Tubliss on both front and rear. Yes you can fix them with the worm patches but I run about 6oz. of flat fix like Slime but I prefer the white Berrymans brand and so far I have never needed a patch. Another plus is that the fix-a-flat keeps the seepage around the rim to a minimum. I use a MX knobby on the front and I use a lot of front brake probably more than most riders. I doubt I would like a front trials tire at high speed on anything slick.
  10. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I'm pretty sure beer consumption is a measurement of time. Nice!!!
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Plus if you go from metric beers to time it takes 2.54 more beers to make one which equals a coons age in hillbilly.
    wallybean likes this.
  12. Enmerdeur Husqvarna
    AA Class

13. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    Thanks Enmerdeur. I used to be a semi daily reader of ADVrider, until in my opinion, it became a victim of its own success. There are threads on there that are over 700 pages long! As an American living in the 21st century, I can only accept responsibility for having 15 seconds of attention for anything, and only if it has pictures to look at! Doing searches on that forum has really become a "finding a needle in a haystack" proposition. A very nice forum, just so HUGE now. I like this forum waaay better. Anyways, back on topic: I'll be getting an 18" rim laced up, MT43 mounted with an appropriate sprocket mounted on it (and rear disc) so I can swap out from dirt knobby to trials tire as needed. It appears for lighter bikes like the Husky 125, a trials tire is the cat's meow for the type and riding I do (Rocky Mountain ATV trails, rocks, dry dirt, slow and technical riding). Thanks all.
    jmetteer likes this.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    +1 - Obviously from someone with experience with these tires.

My two cents...
    1. MT43 has a stiffer sidewall and works the best for a trailbike. It is also the least cost - $72 at MCSS right now.
    2. Last 2-3 times as long as a regular knobby.
    3. I love it on my KTM250 but probably won't run one on the TE630. It's too skinny and too soft for the latter.
    4. I have not invested in Tubliss, run HD tube. Currently the stem is pointing the opposite one would think, from braking. Second rim lock a possibility.
    5. Have never had a flat, on any tire, offroad. Guess I've been really lucky for thousands of miles.
    6. 9-10lbs on desert (high speed), 6-8 on single track in the woods. Even works in a sand wash, go figure.
    7. Eco-friendly - does not tear up trails. Great for riding single track in sensative areas. Pretty much a requirment if want to ride the Piutes here in CA. Also the e-ticket for rocky rides like Moab.
    8. A soft to intermediate MX tire works best on the front or you will experience washouts on any soft terrain.
    9. An MT43 turns a KTM200 (or any lightweight offroad bike) into a trials machine for trail. Will go through anything.
    25 Miles Of Hell trailride last weekend...I got crossed up and then stuck on a steep, rocky, and loose gravel hill. Got the bike pointed up, worked around it to the other side, got on the saddle, started it and got it going again up the hill. Would not have been possible with a regular knobby. Other hillclimbs with rocky steps and turns had other riders falling all over the place. I was one of a couple that rode right up it without an issue - these tires just never slip.

At the start of our ride some of them youngsters looked at this old man with a trials tire on the back and went "WTF???" I think there were a few converts after that trip.
  15. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Searches on ADV are easy using Google. Using this syntax, type into the google search window: site:advrider.com search terms
    and it will bring up all threads containing your search words, on the ADVRider website. No, you don't italicise your search terms, just done here for clarity. :D
  16. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I work at MCSS....and I just picked up a 200...gonna throw a TT on...I rode with one a few years ago and hated it...gonna try again....think the MT43 is the way I am gonna try with a UHD bridgestone tube...
  17. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    A riding buddy on a 525EXC tried an IRC some time ago and hated it. Chewed it up in no time. Recently he thought he would try one, just one more time, a Pirelli this time, and he's now another rider that is sold for life. The guy is a maniac on a motorcycle. :banana:
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think the first one I got was a IRC too....it was horrible and scary at times...I wont go with any other tire than a MX31 on the front tho....

I just hope with the terrian here that it will work good...we have roots gallor....little spider web roots right near the surface, big diaginal ones and tons of sharp edge rocks...

I would think I would do alright since I am a very heavy front brake user....
  19. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Any rider worth his salt has figured out how to brake the crap out of the front. Another reason I like a soft to intermediate front.
    Downhill the trials tire can feel a little greasy. Scared the crap out of me the last major down scramble I hit, but it made it. You just can't let it lock up or there's nothing. Mine won't compression start my 250 in gear, so if you stall it you better figure out how to hit the button before you go over the bank (or the bars. :D).
  20. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here it is hard clay base with 2 inches of snot on top when it wet...

Downhill I usually fly down don't mind a lil greasy the Tt I had on was like I didn't have a tire....