1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What should I do?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Oct 15, 2009.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got a couple busted feet so I will not be riding for a while. To keep from going nuts I am thinking about what I should do with my bike. Researching parts and putting it all together should give me something to do. After all this ordeal I want to treat myself.

Currently I have a 06 WR125. I could trick it out:
    LTR revalve at minimum. Maybe find some FBF 50's or some 50's off of a newer txc/tc.
    144 by EG, new pipe.
    New plastic and graphics.
    I can't think of much more to do to her.

Buy a new Husky. I would like a 09 or 10 WR125 but the tank situation kind of ruins the bike.

Buy a new 08 CR125 if I can still find one cheap. Do the suspension, swap some parts from my 06, and call it good.

Buy a TM144. Probably lots of cash. Importer situation is not making me real comfortable with the brand.

Buy a YZ125. Can get one cheap and have at least 3 brands of tanks to choose from. Easy to find cheap parts for. Not as exciting to own as the Husky though.

Buy a KTM 150xc. I don't know if these are going to be 15 hour motors like the 144SX. Probably handles funny like all the other KTMs I've been on. Big price tag.

Keep my WR and add a duel sport. Not sure how much I would use it though. After getting hit head on by a guy going 80mph in the middle of the city while in my truck I am scared to ride a motorcycle on the steet anywhere.

So many decisions but I have plenty of time.
  2. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

I feel for you, I've been there a couple of times over the years, stuck on the couch/rehab/et al. Mostly from a street bike accident in 1994 that nearly severed my left foot from my leg. Since then I don't ride street except to connect dirt.

Don't get addicted to the pain pills, take less than they say if possible, especially percocet. It's lame. Good old vicodin is much easier to ween off. Spent a week on morpheme in 1994, super lame coming off it. Anyway.

I've found that finding something new to keep me busy helped recovery tremendously. Most recently, I had my 3rd surgery 2 years ago (yes, 13 years after the accident) to grind down the spur that had developed on my tibia. Because I had advance warning, I decided to learn about, study for and pass my HAM tech license. 2 years later I don't do much with HAM radio, but it's nice to have the new skill and legal right to use the radio. For longer rides I do carry and use it for comm with others.

Focus on something other than bikes and riding for a bit...learn about something that has interested you in the past but haven't taken the time to give it justice. Obviously you have ready access to the web...use it.

Let us know how your recovery is progressing too,

Brett
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ok keep it in the Husky family not a funny handling Pumpkin. You don't want to have to re-learn how to ride like my son is doing on his KTM LOL. I like the idea of the 144 kit and will probably put in on my X-Mas list. I just haven't had the time to do any reasearch on the kit. I love my 08 CR125 but just want a little more. So....the main things are to keep your spirts up, ask for help if /when you need it, and heal up quick. On your bike delima: 1 - new 08 CR 125 with 144 kit and LTR that way you can have it all my friend. Oh, if you have the spare time and get solid info on the 144 kit and don't mind sharing the info I would greatly appreciate it.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

NWRider,

I just got my cylinder back for my 09 WR 125 from Eric Gorr. It looks really good. Already installed and waiting for my other parts. My clutch is supposed to be here Friday from EFM and as soon as I have it in I will limp around the property putting some heat cycles on it and will give you first impressions. Right now I can barely zip my pants with the nuclear case of Tendinitis in my right arm. So any extended riding is out until at least mid-November. Total cost on the Eric Gorr kit was $480 shipped.

For the cost of a new bike you can do everything you talked about to yours plus get an auto clutch from EFM, and left hand rear brake/2 finger clutch set up from Rekluse. When I get everything together, I will post some pics of the finished package.

Walt

Unfortunately nothing I do to this bike will equal the bling effect of Kelly's new suspension on his WR125.
  5. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Easy... get a leftover 09 on discount, larger tank, and an LTR revalve. Definitely cheaper than the TM(the only real other choice:busted:), the KTM is still a service junkie from what I have read.

As for the tank situation, the way I see it, the tank will most likely be mass produced soon, as those new 250's are gonna go quick and people will really want a larger tank at a reasonable cost.

Definitely try to limit the meds, my Dad took a spill this summer broke 11 bones on a casual trail ride(first of the season and the last of his career, unfortunately). He was real sick from the meds and once he got to a point where he could scrape by with a little discomfort pain wise he felt a whole lot better.

Heal up quick fellow tiddler tinkerer.:cheers:
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Definitely go light on the pain meds if you can. Store the left overs because some day you will be glad you had them(hit any cows lately). Trick out your ride no matter which way you go. Nothing gives me more idle fun than tinkering with the scoot.

Surfer did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 125?

Walt
  7. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm only taking 1/3 the oxycodone I was prescribed. I'll kick it as soon as the swelling and rib pain is gone.

Can the WR stroke be made longer? a 155 would be sweet but I don't know if it is possible. I think I have already seen enough 144 reviews to know it is a good mod. I've gotten good with the clutch and only stall about once a ride (all slow speed tech stuff) so I don't think I want an auto clutch. I never like them when I try one, except on a YZ250 or a bike that needs to be tamed. The little Husky needs no taming.

I really like the new WR but I have never ridden one. On my 06 I decreased the sag to about 95mm and raised the forks 3 lines and it turns really well now. I do like stable bikes also so it is hard to say if I would prefer the new frame that much. I like the forks on the new one but I could always swap mine. Somebody had a set of FBF ones in the classifieds a while back but I don't see them anymore.

I like the bike I have but with how cheap the 08 CRs were going for it seems it might be worth it just to start fresh. Maybe there will be some 09 blowouts by the time I need a ride anyway. For now I am just thinking of the possibilities. It will probably be at least a month before I can even do light work in the garage.
  8. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Which Eric Gorr motor option did you go for, low-mid, or mid-high? What made you go with the option you did?

Thx
    JS
  9. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

sinve the tm has the same long piston stroke as the ktm, i think they equal in terms of service needs. for my taste, the piston speeds are just too high.

r

p.s. wr bigger fuel tank has 2.15 gallons
  10. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There's the new YZ144 that recently came out. I've never owned a Yamaha, but people rave out the YZ250 so it might be worth a look. Good luck with the recovery. Brad.
  11. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think something is just wrong with the 144sx. Maybe the ignition is too agressive for pump fuel and the exhaust port too big. A factory 144 should be as reliable as a 125 I would think. Does a TM have an exhaust bridge? If it does that alone would probably make it a lot better then the KTM.

From the early reviews I have read the 150xc is not real fast which makes me think the ignition is really tame which could mean the motor will last a while. I guess we will know in about 6 months when we hear more reviews. I wish Husky would offer a factory big bore. I really could not see myself on a KTM anyway. I don't like the bikes much but the mentality that comes with the herd of owners is the biggest turn off.

I was getting interested in TM untill the whole importer thing happened. I think that brand is just too exotic for me.

The WR needs at least 2.5 gallons. Three would really be a lot better. Maybe Kelly will figure out how to get the IMS on and the bike will awesome.
  12. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think I remember Norm mentioning that Harvey from Bottones had a stroker 144 by Eric Gorr, came out to 151 or something like that.

I really do think that the P3 tank is going to be mass produced, at least I hope so, the stock oversize would be too small for me, I'd definitely have to pit in a scramble, and no way I'd even make one loop of an enduro on 2.1xx gallons. The 3g would be nice but IMO it kills the looks of the bike, unless you glue the shrouds back on, sometimes I like it sometimes I don't.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    i think the IMS will work. While i do not like the looks a ton I do like the smooth sides and feel of it while riding. The extra gallon is priceless.
  14. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I like the new IMS much better also. The older one looked nice because it used the shrouds but it is so wide it makes the bike feel huge. If the new IMS can go on the new 125 I can not think of a better bike to own.
  15. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The last great IMS for these bikes were the ones for the 04's(it was originally made by P3 too)... I really should take a pic of my 01 next to the 07, they are both 3.4g yet the 07 tank is nearly twice as wide. Either way NW and I need to get on the new framed tiddler, I can't believe I've made it thus far, knowing they are on the market.:busted:
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Lindsay Pirie and Jay Hall are both in Portugal at the ISDE. They were going to talk more about the plastic version of the tank. I believe the company that does the tanks for Christini, would do it. It's just the money side to figure out now. The hump isn't bad and I can't tell which tank is on the bike, unless I look down. In fact I've never bothered to put the stock tank on, after riding with them back to back.

On big bores... Harvey had Eric do a Yamaha 167 kit piston on stock stroke. I had misunderstood him and thought he had a 144 piston on a 167 stroker crank. I can't remember which was 151 and which was a155? I emailed Scot Harden, after local AA won last enduro in our series on a 150XC. He said a full Factory 144 kit was going to be released very soon.

A friend has a set of FBF Works 50mm forks and triple clamps for sale. PM me for details.

Heal up and get riding!
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Full factory kit for the Husky?
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Yes the Husky..... Scot doesn't work for KTM anymore.:cheers:
  19. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

Good luck with the recover bro. We tend to focus on what we don't have rather than what we have whether it's our health or other things.

Took me awhile to get my 09 WR 125 going right, but it was worth the wait. Keep it in the Husky family whatever you do.

Take Care.

WR Bob
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Scott Harden in his interview was talking about improvements and all new models in the 2 stroke line-up. So if they are offering a 144 kit in the near future, I wonder if they will be offering a 144 like they did the te300? Maybe you should do a little upgrading on your 06 and then pop for a new 144 in 2011:D

Either way heal fast,
    Walt