1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What should I do?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Oct 15, 2009.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

NWRider,

How are you fairing? Keep us updated on your progress. I spent Saturday putting my 144 through a bunch of heat cycles and a couple more today before I let it rip this afternoon. Great option makes it a new bike. I am going to start a new thread to do a review.

Heal fast and save that pain med for some friend who tackles a tree trying to keep up with the Husky 125 ripper.

Walt
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes Walt give us a complete ride report on that 144 please. NWRider you rest up and heal.
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I am still not able to walk so there has been no need for bike upgrades. I’ve been reading up on some though and these seem like the best options. It will be a while before I buy anything but this gives me something to do. I’m looking forward to some garage time as soon as I can walk. Having a bike that needs lots of setup will actually be more fun since I will probably have a few months between walking and riding.
    1. Keep my bike. Upgrade suspension, 144, tubeless, fatty pipe, new plastic. Etc. If I buy anything other than a 125 I would probably just keep this bike in addition.
    2. New WR125. If the tank situation is not fixed by the time I am in the market it is off the list.
    3. New 08 CR125. Do suspension and swap parts.
    4. YZ125. Light and plenty of aftermarket.
    5. RM125. There are still some new 07 models out there. Might be small for someone who is 6’2” though. Probably a great handling bike and tanks are not a problem. Clutch replacement probably mandatory.
    6. 250 4t Husky. If the TC250 really starts good that would be nice as it is light. I want to see how these wonder bikes hold up first though. If there is not a quiet pipe available the Husky thumpers are off my list. Then there is also the stupid tank issue which must also be fixed.
    7. CRF250. I really like the idea of Keihin FI. This bike is supposed to start very well. People have done tons of dyno runs to experiment with maps already. With a $50 map I can have 37HP on a stock bike. I am sure tanks will be out. Bike looks like a major pain to work on. I want to know if the ‘x’ silencer will fit and work with the FI.
    8. TM is off my list due to the importer situation.
    9. KTM 150XC. The reviews make it sound kind of slow so maybe the motor is mellowed out enough from the SX that is will hold together. I wish Husky made a bike like this. I like the large natural tank. I really am turned off by the “Orangeitude” exhibited by the brands faithful. But nobody else makes a bike like this.
    10. 250 smoker as a second bike. Probably a YZ or RM. I do like the WR but it is such a porker.
    11. Gasgas 125. Looks like a nice package. I have not heard much about them though and they are expensive for what you get.

My list would be mostly Husky if they would just build decent tanks for their bikes.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

NWRider,

Good to hear you are healing but I can sympathize with you about having to sit around and watch other guys ride and hear about it later.:banghead:

You do have another option for a 144 kit. Husky is offering a factory upgrade and while it will be twice to three times the cost of the EG144 you do get to keep your cylinder assy to remount when you sell or sell yourself now. The Husky kit will certainly fit all 125 huskies for the foreseeable future. Just a thought. I do really like the 144. The larger bore makes the bike ride-able at all points on the throttle. It really makes the low end relevant.

Walt
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you know if the Husky kit is just a 125 jug bored out? The main problem with starting from a 125 is the ports get huge. I Husqvanra made a cylinder just for the 144 that would be nice. Do you know if it is just overbore or bore and stroke? I heard there was a kit but do not know any of the details. With news of the kit I guess there is a slim chance they will just make a WR144 but I doubt we would see it for 2010.
  6. oregon_rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Attached Files:

7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm not a KTM fan, but I'm having a hard time finding "reviews" that say the 150 SX is "slow". Ours is a screamer. I hate to admit it, but it's a 4T 250 killer that'll rip the face off the YZ or any other older Jap 125 2T.

I'm praying the motor isn't a grenade like the 144's.

I'd love to see some links to the reviews that say it's "slow".
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm talking about the XC reviews. These are just from a couple of guys on ktmtalk that rode a demo. Maybe the bike just had messed up jetting, who knows. I hope the XC has a two ring piston.

On the Husky 144 it must be overbore only from what the picture shows. I am not sure why it looks like there are no power vavles.

Although I am looking at lots of options for fun I have a hard time seeing myself going away from a two stroke. The Husky fits me so well I will probably stay on one but the tank situation is really making me want to spend my money elsewhere.
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The kit will have to include power valves. I can't imagine that they would want you to regrind your stock valves to fit. I also think you will see a 144-150 husky soon. Just like with the WR 250 morphed into the WR 300 with a 300 kit in advance. The big question will they stroke it slightly to get it to 150 or just offer the 144.

Walt
  10. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i say keep your bike and make upgrades to!

i love mine!
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sell it and get a 2010 TXC250 :D
  12. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some of the rave reviews make me think about it. I'll have a chance for the new to wear off and hear some longer term reviews by the time I can ride.

Would you consider a TC? If they start as well as I hear I think I would rather save the weight. I would probaby keep my current bike if I got a 250f also. I doubt it is worth that much anyway.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Weight? Dude, it feels as light as your 125 and does everything WAY better. Seriously, this bike is that good. I'll not sell my 125 but I don't see it getting a ton of use now, even thought it is REALLY good. Wait until you ride one. :notworthy:
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My son's TC has been a one (1) kicker almost every time hot or cold. We rode it Saturday at a MX with 4 different riders and it started first kick all but once and that time it took two. The dealer did install one size large pilot jet but honestly it's very easy to start the bike. And the lack of weight is unreal. I am keeping my 08 CR125 Husky but I will have a new Tc250. Keep healing my Husky brother.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

+2 on post 33: what he said is 100% true.
  16. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Motorsportz, Can you weigh the WR125 and TXC250? I would be really curious to know how close they are in weight.

Anyone have a dyno? That would be another good comparison.

JS
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My 125 is at a shop right now as they are building the reservoir tank for it. I'll weight the TXC but It is just under 230 I think. Feels very light on the trail and weight on this one is a complete non-issue. If you need a lighter bike than this buy an 85 :D My 125 is actually bordering on to light and gets deflected EZ. the TXC is perfect. And that motor... oh that motor. LOVE it. Seriously, go get one, it is light and fast and handle amazing. Other than the tank I am seriously scratching my head to think how it could be better.