1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc what wrong with the wr250?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by razornpc, Mar 11, 2010.

1. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i know fron experiance that the 125 is a riot to ride and i love mine and everyone on here raves about them as well.

im looking at the 250s, that i myself have mixed feelings about, and there or nowhere near as many threads prasing how great the 250 is.

anyone got any experiance on these bikes good or bad, im open to any and all honest opinions on these bikes.
  2. Clayfan Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm happy with mine (2008 WR 250) and have had some good finishes on it. But, if I could see some things that I'd like improved (or at least brought into the year 2000) it would be in no particular order.
    -an easier to use kickstarter, kinda forward and a little tall and slaps the peg every kick.

-a lighter clutch pull, doesn't need to by hydraulic, just an easier pull

-a digital ignition, not that the stocker is bad, but the gap they use is kinda small, which makes me belive it does not produce a lot of spark.

-a better stock spark plug cap

-a 6 speed tranny, again, 90% of the time you don't need it, but for that 10% of the time, it would be handy.

Suspension wise, trail manners and power its fine like it is. Been pretty reliable too.
  3. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

there aren't really any alternatives to the 125, so pretty much all people who want off-road 125's have to buy husky or heavily mod a used japanese bike (or ktm).

there are other alternatives to the 250's, so perhaps the wr250 is just another good choice (that might be the best choice for many people) rather than standing head and shoulders above the competition.

that's just a guess tho. i think the wr250 is a really good bike, and i own a few ktm's and a kx250.
  4. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

what year kx?
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The WR250 has always been a good bike. It is very reliable, great off road motor, comes with all the off road goodies. It is an older design and is getting long in the tooth. The mags ignore it completely and no one talks about them. It is long overdue for a complete revamp. Needs a lighter motor stuffed in the new 2010 TXC250 frame. Then it will be in mags and once again be popular. A new lighter motor in the new lighter and IMHO better frame with the upgraded suspension will bring it to the forefront of the 2st 250 pile. Right now it is 10-15 pounds overweight, has older dated suspension, handles just OK and scares people with the chain on the wrong side and Cagiva roots.

My first new husky was a 99 WR250. Was a great bike, super reliable and better than almost any converted Japanese bike at the time. It has not evolved a lot since then. In fact back then it did have the bigger tank and longer 6 speed.

It's a great bike with a long history that is due for a make over. Rumor is thats coming. Hope so, if they stuff a new motor in the new frame I'm buying one.
  6. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Hopefully they can lighten the motor without making it overheat easily, unlike some of their competition, lol.
  7. sean Husqvarna
    B Class

yeah you are right, but i would not swap my 2007 wr 250 for any other bike on the market, i have factory forks, shock, handle bars, top clamp. power valve control unit, and a 13l fuel tank.

I did a mx event yesterday, i rode a ktm 250f:thumbsdown: nice to ride but no power ( this was a 2006 bike)
    A ktm 450 exc this was the same bike but more grunt.... as far as i could test, good to ride tough
    then i went back on the wr 250..... loads of low down grunt, really good mid and a screaming top end. yeah i have trick bits, but show me a ktm rider who doesn't have as much bling as mister T (I'm not saying ktm's are shit either, cos there not they are tried and tested)

So in short.
    Good steering, VERY stable, light, flickable, quick, reliable, good to look at. and every tom dick and harry hasnt got one
    as much fun as the 125 and then some (i run 14/50 gearing)
    The six gear would be nice some times when the 450 leave you on the road as they do 90mph and the wr250 does about 60 whith out sounding like it is gonna blow:busted:
  8. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think there isn't alot of talk about the WR250 because people buy them, ride them and don't have many problems. I bought mine new in 08 and absolutly love it. I also think the WR250 is alot like the KTM 250, they get overlooked by alot of people, most guys want the 300 or the 200 for different reasons. Like others have said, the WR250 is one of the best kept secrets in the 2stk offroad db world. Brad.
  9. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Razornpc,

I have an 08 and really like the bike.

1.) European design - great

2.) Good motor - Jetted correctly/power valve adjusted/ it flies. Like passing the 4 strokes.

3.) Handling great - Bike bike just seems to flow good

4.) Bullet Proof

Musts:

1.) Get the suspension done.

2.) Keep clutch cable clean and lubed

3.) Dead engine starts are sometimes an issue, doesn't want to start in gear with clutch pulled in sometimes.

4.) Radiator Guards- First crash I bent one.

5.) Heat the shifter up and bend it out or will scratch case.

6.) Get a set of tires.

7.) Antiseize screws for gas tank, triple clamp bolts and rear chain adjusters
  10. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok, so basicly if i bought a new 250 bike today id be getting a bike that is based on 10 year old technology.

the difference between that and my current 250 being the new bike has zero worn out parts and will come with a payment. that said, i like my kaw, i just hate putting new parts on it when i know its not going to get me anywhere as i try to sell it. and it needs constant TLC now in its older age.

hmmmmm.......

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate all the info. i can hold off on jumping on one now.

my biggest concer jumping on a bike, getting a payment and not liking the bike. the last one i rode was an 06 belonging to a friend of mine (way faster then I) and i really didnt care for how heavy it was or for how it handled. the complaints i had about it were the same complaints hwas hearing from others and that worried me. i loved how the engine worked, nice and smooth on the bottom and a good powerfull pull on top. much like my kaw, just in a heavier package :( .

i guess i was thinking they would have updated the chassis since 06.

thanks again for the honest input guys!
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Come on over and ride mine and you'll be hooked.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I personally don't think there is really anything wrong with the WR250, I like mine just fine.

Yes, there are a few components that could use some up dating, but it really has no more gripe items or weak spots than any other bike.

Lots of guys will argue that there hasn't been a decent Honda CR250 sine they dropped the steel frame in '96. Even more will say the old motor that was basically the same from '88 to '01 was the best ever.

So to say it's not good because it's to old of a design doesn't really hold water. I could probable start building '93 Honda CR250's and sell as many or more that Husky sells WR's.

It's a good bike.
  13. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

So I guess I don't have to let you ride mine on Sunday then?
  14. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, the WR isnt the newest bike on the block, but you have to admit, its resume of race wins/championships up to 2010 is pretty impressive. It just goes to show how great of a bike it still is to be competitive today.

There are some great deals on new and non-current WRs. I think that they are probably the best value on the market today. You can buy a new Husky WR or a used KTM for the same price in Canada.
    giantjoe likes this.
  15. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

id still like to take it for a spin. the one i rode a year ago was a 06. like i said i liked the power just didnt like how it pushed into every corner. yours is a 07 right?
  16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 50mm forks on the 09 and newer really make a huge difference in the ride and handling IMO.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Totally agree. There might be a difference in the triple clamp offset as well. They do turn better.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    That has a lot to do with set up. It doesn't matter what brand it is, if it's not set up right it can handle like a pig.

I ran into a guy not long ago that had an RM250 that wouldn't turn. ??? If RM's do one thing right, they turn. He'd never set the sag or bleed the forks. We bleed off a huge amount of pressure from the forks, adjusted the sag from about 125mm to 100mm and he couldn't believe the difference.

If steering is a concern then you might consider the 8000H2699 clamp set from the special parts catalog. There's also an 8000H2708 oval set that allows adjustment of the angle +/- 1 degree in a 20mm offset.
  19. sean Husqvarna
    B Class

take Audi for a min. all other car company's are using the cdti or hdi diesel engine, but Audi are using the 15 year old plus TDI engine, and the reason for this.................. it works. i would rather have tried and tested and lots of parts available than new and shiny but not that reliable
  20. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Why all the whining on the WR 250?

You need a 6 speed gearbox and bigger gas tank if you want to dual sport the WR 250. People usually don't dual sport 2 strokes any more, if you like to DS more than racing then you buy a TE450 ore TE510.

Both the WR 125 and WR 250 are equal “up to date”.

Both chassis and suspension are equal up to date as any other enduro motorcycle.

Both WR 125/250 engines are from the about year 2000. The GasGas lump is even older (?) and the KTM 2 stroke engine is from 2004 I think.

All the bike makers are focusing on the 4 strokes so the 2 strokes are a couple of years behind in the evolution. But as a weekend warrior I doubt that any of us weekend warriors will feel any big differences. The 2 strokes are still a couple of kilos lighter than the equal 4 stroke and cheaper to maintain. I am a small poor dude so I still going to race 2 strokes.

And don´t even get me started on the few Japanese 2 stroke bikes. They haven't barley even updated the suspension sins the dinosaurs walked the earth. And they still cost as much new as any other other more up to date 2 stroke bike. Talk about being tricked!