1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc what wrong with the wr250?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by razornpc, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Mine is an 07. The same as an 06, or 1996 for that matter.:D Just different plastic. I think mine turns just fine. Of course I thought old Huskys turned fine too.:lol:
  2. aranpolaris Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hate to say it but my best friend bought a 2008 WR250 last year and has had problems right from the start. First ride out V force 2 reeds broke and thankfully got lodged in the intake. After talking with V Force, they said they were shipped with the wrong petals, and promptly sent me a new stiffer set for free. That was great. But since then we have been tearing our hair out trying to get the bike jetted properly. The problem is, only sometimes, it will foul plugs like crazy. I'm talking 6 plugs in 20mi. But sometimes it's fine? We did a 110mi loop with no issues a week after having problems all day the previous ride. Baffled? maybe some advice for sea level jetting.

I do have to say, when that thing is running right, it is a phenominal bike. Loads of torque, over rev like crazy. Awesome.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Get a Keihin. Honda's with the same carb have the same problem. Husky really needs to swap to Keihin across the board. Mikuni stuff is killing them.

The reeds, they should have been caught. That was a common problem that should have never happened.
  4. Valhalla Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 300
    The Husky dealer in Warrens Wisconsin has a brand new 2008 250WR you could get dirt cheap Razor..........It may be worth the drive from Iowa....certainly worth a phone call.
    The dealer is Keytime Motorsports and is located in cranberry country down in south central Wisc.

Valhalla
    2009 WR300
  5. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Craig is a good guy, but I think Razor wants to be one of Jay's boys.
  6. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

theres an 09 in MO for 4700 i was looking at. i called on the one your talking about and at the end of the conversation the sales guy said "yeah im gonna take it in the pants bad on this bike."

at least he was honest!
  7. sean Husqvarna
    B Class

i may have this wrong, but it sound to me that you have already made your mind up, you dont want one of these, the best thing to do is buy a ktm (spit) then it'll be up to date??

Im being honest now. the wr250 is the best bike i have rode off road, iv been on a aprillia 450, ktm 300, ktm 250F, ktm 400, ktm 450, wr250r(yam) I liked some of these but they weren't for me.

im not the best rider by far. But i know what works and what doesn't.

its turns fooking quick. Yeah the back shock is :censored:, but a ohlins is only 250ish.
    Has more torque than a 4 stroke 250 and has a fantastic top end. Its shit on the road, between lanes, best to cruise at 55, 60mph and your fine but the 450's just leave you till you get to the mucky stuff. where they spin and spin, and the 2 stoke just floats over stuff.

Please don't think im being patronising, but at the end of the day, the people who have them love them to bits, you really wouldn't tempt me with any thing else, well..... maybe a 300cc kit for it:lol:
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I miss my WR 250, especially the motor with the 6 speed and the rekluse pro. I don't miss the top heaviness or slower handling after riding my 144. I can't imagine going back to the older frame geometries when there is a clearly better option and all the other huskies have it except the WR250/300. When Husky puts the WR250 motor in the new frame I will own one. Until then I still have my WR360 when I want to be completely lazy and have to cover roads to get to the riding.

JMHO,
    Walt
  9. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I am fairly new at this 2 wheel racing but really like thw WR250! My buddy has a 2009 Yamaha YZ250 converted to a woods bike and while the YZ is very fun, over the course of a 2 hour race I am faster on the ancient technology WR250. :thumbsup:

Sometimes technology advances, sometimes it only makes things harder to work on...
  10. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

I have never replaced my reeds on my 07(yet)I do have some new ones to go in, been through 4 top ends, no failures just maintenance, I have a friend who bought a 09 KTM XC-w and spent 900 on the suspension, I just put stiffer front springs and lighter oil and I could keep up. I did just trade another friends revalved stock stuff, changed to lighter oil and put my springs in and it's fine.
    I will be buying another one when I have some extra money:excuseme:just whether it will be a 250 or a 300
  11. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Never fouled a plug but i had a friend that did, you do have to get the jetting right, get a JD kit or get the Kehein carb from JD with a kit installed already, kit 80 bucks whole carb with kit 240
  12. WhizzBang24 Husqvarna
    B Class

Great bike. I ride New England terrain with stock suspension just resprung. Had a KTM and so far haven't ridden a bike this nice. Don't let the complaints change your desire to get one. The only thing that sounds true is the clutch pull but other than that it's bulletproof. I raced a whole netra season(which equals mud-roots-and many rocks) and I'm still on stock everything..even wheel bearings. A 93 at heart but unbeatable. There is a famous saying...If it's not broke-DON'T FIX IT!!!
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Everyone who owned or owns a WR loved them.

This was the last one I owned, bought it new. Very good bike and like all the rest reliable as a rock.

[IMG]
  14. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Worst thing about the Huskys.....Plastic. Geez, what garbage. I hope the new ones are better.
  15. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've run the jetting below on my 08 WR250 and many other earlier years as well and it works great. I've never tried the Keihin so I can't speak to that. I'm in So CA and usually ride around 2000 ft.

6DGY04-59 needle (clip 2nd from top) available from SUDCO part number 007-047
    380 main
    35 pilot
    3.0 slide (that should be what came in it)
    air screw 1.5 - 1.75 turns out.

I just got an 09 and it came stock with similar jetting. The needle is different, but close.
  16. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The WR comes stock with a 4.0 slide I think....the 3.0 is in the 125.

I have a hydro clutch and a set of FBF 50's on my '04 and it hauls as good as any other 250 2smoke. the power band with a PWK is outstanding.

Yes it's a little heavy but it is also physicaly much larger than a YZ250 or a KTM.
  17. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

My 07 came with the 3.0 slide
  18. Dirt_drifter Husqvarna
    A Class

A Keihin is a waste of money in my opinion. I have owned both a 05 wr250 and now a 09wr250. Both have been fastastic with the std carb set up using jets and needle adjustment. I only ever changed the spark plug about once a year when i do a top end. Never fouled.
    My 09 is really good. Always runs super clean and never oils up no matter how much single track short shifting i do.
  19. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Been a little while since I had a wr250 (had and 06) but for clutch pull I would cut the arm on the engine and make it (I believe) 5/16 of and inch longer. And install motion pro terminator clutch cable. Clutch still seemed to work great and pulled alot easier. What I miss is back when it came with a 6-speed tranny. GREAT top speed! I bought a new wr125 because of the updated frame, etc,,, But must say in 04 I won vet expert and believe I was ranked 13 overall for the year. Yes on a husky 250. It is older tech, but still very competitive! Oh yea might have been only 3/16 of and inch longer. Buy a carryover if you can, at least that way you won't lose so much. Try to find someone with one that is properly setup and sweet talk them into a demo. I've rode the orange stuff but do not like it. Ah memories, just as I was about to celebrate with alot of beer (I think in 1991) that ktm was bankrupt and done Then I got the bad news, they would live. Oh well. I think the husky is a better bike and alot more sexy. Good luck!
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Dirt Drifter,

Good thing you don't really have any high elevations and extreme elevation changes or you would despise the Mikuni as much as I do. Glad it works for you where you are.

Walt
    Lincolnlock likes this.